Why JWs don't celebrate Mother's day

by Laika 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Comatose
    Comatose

Laika great post. You are right. I'll add that they don't individual families to be close. They want people close to them as a group no each other.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Good thread, this year is a first, we are celebrating, my daughter, me and my mum. We are going to have a fine day together. Kate xx

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Anything that breaks up the drudgery or nurfs the donations into the Worldwide Damnation Fund is banned. Mothers Day is the second Sunday in May in the United Tyranny of Stupidity (formerly the United States of America). And it is just as banned here as there.

And no wonder. They banned the big holidays. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Halloween, Independence Day, and Easter are all banned. So that leaves the smaller holidays--Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Valentines Day, St Patrick's Day, and so on. If those aren't banned, too, pretty soon they will become the new Christmas. People will start giving gifts for Mothers, Fathers, or Children's Day instead of Christmas and birthdays. Those days will take on the meaning that Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter had. Which will give the jokehovians a high point in their lives and nurf the donations. Money spent on flowers or presents (or electronics, toys, or special food) is money that cannot be wasted on the Worldwide Damnation Fund.

Also taken away are vacations. The Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger wants adults to pious-sneer when they go on vacation--no more simply heading to Hawaii, the Caribbean, Paris, or New Zealand and enjoying whatever that place has to offer. You simply go to all their boasting sessions and do field circus instead. Children are supposed to pious-sneer during school vacations--and if they get a simple long weekend, they are to waste it in field circus (same if they are not baptized--they are still supposed to go out while their parents do field circus). No fun for them.

• Laika
    Laika

Wtwizard, over here it's very common for families to have a 'present day' on the date of the parent's anniversary. Is this just a UK tradition or is it done in the tyrannical states as well?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I can only explain my own experience. In my case I don't celebrate Mother's Day because my mother does not deserve it.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Because the money and time spent on mother's day, and any other event involving gifts can better be spent on donations and field service.

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

JWs miss out on so much normalcy in life. My bio mom is a JW and we were never close (our whole family life relationships are strained and dysfunctional) so Mother's Day was always bittersweet to me after I faded and started celebrating holidays on my own.

Then I had amazing wish granted from the universe: I found and 'adopted' a surrogate mom in my 30s whom I have an amazing relationship with now. After learning of my JW past, she promptly caught me up on all of my missed birthdays and she IS my mom on mother's day who I get to love and treat like my own. An amazing twist of fate that has added so much joy to my life, that I am ever grateful for.

Phae

• crmsicl
    crmsicl

My first Mothers Day out of the Org I bought myself a heart necklace in honor of my Motherhood.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

...........Mother Watchtower......................................JW Moms Are Afraid Of..

.......Doesn`t like Celebrations.........................Getting Their Heads Chopped Off!..

............................................................................................................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

This is one celibration that I never understood the jw opposition.

I heard that Mother's day is a continuation of Mary worship. And we cannot have that. But again, I never got the connection.

In any event I wish I was able to celibrate my mother in such a way that she understood how important she was in my life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit