Oh...I guess they still are!

Hang in there guy!

Jam......

It was nuts, we could celebrate our wedding

anniversary but not celebrate the woman who brought me

into the world so that I can have a wedding anniversary. NUTS"

Even worse ...we bring beautiful little children into the

world .......... and then when the anniversary of their birth

comes along ...we go out of our way to IGNORE THEM!

Omg ...I am on my own now, but it is so great to be out,

in spite of the shun stuff!

clarity

• snakeface
    snakeface

Ha Ha! I remember when I was new and just started going out in service, was working with an elder. When it was my turn to take a door, the householder asked why we don't celebrate Mothers Day. The elder told him I (yes I, not him) would look it up and get back to him. As we were leaving, the elder told me, "See? Now you have a return visit!" I did research in the publications but never found an answer...so I never went back to that house.

• jam
    jam

snakeface, LOL. "so I never went back to that house". Yes if the elder

don't have a clue and you did your research and no answer, forget that

return visit. So funny!! When you look back on your JW experience

you think about little clues that should have pricked your conscience,

these people are walking a different step from the rest of the world.

They are in left field....

• steve2
    steve2

Mother's Day became an officially celebrated event in the USA in 1906, Father's Day came later. The sentimental heart space for mothers has long been bigger than for fathers.

My now-deceased JW mother always graciously accepted a bunch of flowers from me on Mother's Day. We steered a steadily respectful tightrope over how far we each pushed on the topic. I drew the line at never giving her a card - I think that would have been a step off the tightrope. But she was a gracious, lovely woman who I wished I could have treated like a queen on Mother's Day. In looking back I don't think Jehovah would have given a flying fig if I'd put a big banner outside her little cottage on Mother's Day that read "You're the best mother in the world and nothing is too good for you!"

The organization's spiritual "frowning upon" Mother's day is so damn petty and meddlesome.

Of course, the fly in the JW-ointment is the fact that the organization leaves up to individual consciences the celebration of wedding anniversaries. All the trotted out arguments against Mother's and Father's Days apply with equal force to wedding anniversaries (e.g., early Christians did not celebrate these kinds of events, it draws attention to the individual when all glory should go to the GB Jehovah, true Christians do not need to have a date on a calendar to give gifts, it has worldly/pagan origins). A true JW seems unbothered by this glaringly double and dubious standard.

• Laika
    Laika

A true JW seems unbothered by this glaringly double and dubious standard.

True that, but then, as I'm sure you know, this is because the real JW standard is 'whatever the GB says'. The stuff about pagan celebrations are actually irrelevant.

• jam
    jam

When I was a JW there were times when the scriptures spoke

of those who was not loved by Jehovah, according too the borg.

Identifying mark of the wicked, including my Mom and Dad.

But looking at the scriptures today, wow, who are we talking about here.

Example Rom.1:31 Without understanding, without NATURAL AFFECTION,

unmerciful.

2Ti 3;3 Without NATURAL AFFECTION, trucebreakers,false accuser, despisers

of those that are good.

Let me ask you, who are we talking about here those in the borg or those outside.

• exWTslave
    exWTslave

Good observation! Yes, it’s all has to do with keeping identity safe. Yet they don’t shun all the pagan practices. For example, in their Bethel, brothers should compulsorily wear a tie, which is actually a phallic symbol!

(http://www.yhvh.name/?w=840)

(http://uselessknowledge.wordpress.com/2006/05/06/neckties-are-evil/)

(http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/199702/tie-me-tie-me-down)

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

The real question is: Why would any one want to celebrate a day that someone arbitrarily set?

I don't understand any of this celebrating days.

• Heaven
    Heaven

When my Mom was alive, I always used to call her on Mother's Day. I would never outright say 'Happy Mother's Day' but she knew why I was calling. She would say we don't celebrate this. I would always say I was just calling to see how she was.

She always liked it. But had to pretend she didn't.

This religion is f'ed up.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Goal = social isolation... makes sense VI

No one lost their heads in scripture while honoring their Moms or Pops.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit