Why JWs don't celebrate Mother's day

by Laika 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Clarity...thanks for the link...I just can't believe what I just read! Are you freaking kidding me?

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

I will get my son to buy a card and I suspect my wife will be happy to receive it. No advance panning, which will be resisted, just spring it on her on the day.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

The moolah spent on celebrating anything should instead be used to support the one troo cult! I think that's the real reason they banished holidays.

Marina

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Rutherford and Franz (Rutherfranz?) went out of their way to discredit virtually any kind of activity that might entail Witnesses interacting any more than the absolute bare minimum with "worldy" relatives or acquaintences. Any Biblical or pseudo-Biblical justifications were really academic; the agenda was the social isolation of JWs from non-JWs to maintain ideological solidarity.

If he'd had his way, I think Rutherford would have even pulled the plug on wedding receptions and anniversaries, but even a damagogue can only go so far before he starts to look crazy even to his own followers.

• wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow

only go so far before he starts to look crazy even to his own followers

I seem to remember that Woodworth who printed the Golden Age wanted to stop using the days of the week and months because they were named after false Gods and Rutherford called him foolish about that. I think Christmas celebrations ended when those at Brooklyn Bethel voted to end it. Somehow I think they go through phases of making things taboo and hardly ever making them a matter of conscious again (like wind chimes)

• Laika
    Laika

Good point vidiot, you are not an idiot.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

This is what I heard but I didn't research it. Hitler instituted the day to honor women and mothers. It was a big celebratory day with each mother awarded a medal of sorts depending on how many children she had. He wanted honorable marriages and strong families.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Laika - "...vidiot, you are not an idiot."

Thank God, I finally convinced someone!!!

• A.proclaimer
    A.proclaimer

I started to wonder this myself when I did some research. Although Mother's Day has happened in Greek and Roman paganism, today's mothers day has nothing to do with them or no connection whatsoever. Mother's Day was started in the US by a lady named Anna Jarvis who wanted to dedicate a special day for mothers. Eventually the celebration expanded to other countries. Ironically, she later wanted the holiday she promoted removed because it became very commercialized. how is this pagan? No idea. Even if a Witness argues that it's dedicating a date for your mom and it can be seen as "worship", it doesn't make sense. After all, there are celebrations and days dedicated to high school graduates, baby showers, wedding anniversaries, etc. Plus, I have a JW cousin who I saw write on Facebook, "happy teachers day" (she's a teacher). its celebrated in her country, not here but that's a lot like Mother's Day in the sense that it dedicates a day to teachers. I've never heard any information against teachers or children's day.

• jam
    jam

I had a problem with that special day as a JW. I would

call my MOM if I was out of town and wish her a happy

mother day. It was nuts, we could celebrate our wedding

anniversary but not celebrate the woman who brought me

into the world so that I can have a wedding anniversary. NUTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit