How Do You Come to Terms with Being Just One of the 7 Billion?

by will-be-apostate 35 Replies latest jw friends

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

You are not less than zero, you are ahead because you were in a cult, but we're able to escape mentally, something that not everyone can do, so at least acknowledge that and give yourself a pat on the back.

And just because you didn't invent Facebook it doesn't mean you do not have gifts to bring to the world. Start working to figure out what that gift is, it may be something that you are doing already, it may be something you have yet to discover. Whatever it is, it will be a fascinating journey to find and develop that gift and you will learn and grow along the way.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

We are part of an interconnected world. You cannot say you make no difference. You just can help someone who in future will do something big, we never know. Think in the butterfly effect. Just your existence now, make a disturbance in whole universe.

But I know how frustrating is to start the life in negative score. Every born-in feels the same. But you can always remember no matter how miserable your situation, always will be someone in a worse situation. This thought is a double edge sword, it brings consolation and perplexity at the same time.

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

Hi Phaedra. Thanks for sharing your point of view. Death is the great equalizer indeed. As for myself I found that when I accomplish something that makes me happy. Probably that explains my desire to make something big. However I feel the same way you do when you, that it's all stribing after wind.

Mynameislame said that finding out TTATT puts one ahead not behind, and I totally agreed. I don't prefer to be misled.

What I have decided is that I'm gonna try to get the best out of my situation. It's also comforting to know that many of you understands me and even feels the same way.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I got out when I was 23 what helped me get out was the plain spoken Eric Hoffer who wrote the following in 1950 I doubt if he had even heard of the JW'S.

From his book The True Believer.

"Not only does a mass movement depict the present as mean and miserable - it deliberately makes it so. It fashions a pattern of individual existence that is dour, hard, repressive and dull. It decries pleasures and comforts and extols the rigorous life. It views ordinary enjoyment as trivial or even discreditable, and represents the pursuit of personal happiness as immoral. (p. 69)

All active mass movements strive, therefore, to interpose a fact-proof screen between the faithful and the realities of the world. They do this by claiming that the ultimate and absolute truth is already embodied in their doctrine and that there is no truth or certitude outside it. The facts on which the true believer bases his conclusions must not be derived from his experience or observation but from holy writ."

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Nothing prevents you from at least writing a book or impacting a few lives. Heck, maybe you could invent something as important as the cup sleeve for hot paper Starbucks cups or the aglet, the small plastic sheath used on the ends of a shoelace. But even if you fall short of that, I don't see that it's so terrible. I am only interested in chilling out in the retirement segment of my life and helping my loved ones in various ways that also probably will not get me a wiki page.

If I am completely forgotten after being remembered for a decade or less by some younger family members for just chilling in a beach chair, that's fine by me.

• Laika
    Laika

Thanks for sharing that quote Giordano, that is brilliant/very true.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

My sense of being special as a witness was not something I was proud of. It was a burden.

Now that I am out, I actually consider myself special - in a good way. I believe that the things I am doing will have a positive impact on the lives of others both now and into the future. I am trying to build a legacy to my life, which is something I could never hope for as a witness.

• jam
    jam

A legacy of excellence, strive to be your best everyday. Serve as

a role model for your children, your friends. Raise the standards

and behaviors of everyone around you.

Legacy of encouragement, you have a choice , you can lift others

up or bring them down.

Legacy of purpose, people are most energized when they are

using their strengths and talents for a purpose beyond themselves.

A legacy of love, when I think about my Mom and Dad, both passed

years ago. When I think about them I don't recall their mistakes

but only their love for me.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

I know EXACTLY what you mean when you say you're starting with a minus figure. We've been crippled by the teaching that everything must go on hold for now, that we can do anything we want in the new system, but just make the sacrifices now.. Everyone else planned families and careers, long term plans, I don't know about you but I'm 40 years behind everyone else, I've got a lot of catching up to do .

• Angus Beef
    Angus Beef

^^^Same here.

>^..^<

1st thought you meant 7Billions JWs. Had to google world population, apparently 7Billion. Whassssssssssssssssssssh!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit