How Do You Come to Terms with Being Just One of the 7 Billion?

by will-be-apostate 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I think it's great; the pressure to be awesome all the time is gone...

...it's like a huge load has been lifted from my shoulders!

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I think it's great; the pressure to be awesome all the time is gone...

...it's like a huge load has been lifted from my shoulders!

So true Vidiot, I have wanted to be just normal all my life, I hated being that weird kid who didn't join in at school, then the weird employee who couldn't even sign a Xmas card. I know, I know, normal is just a setting on a dryer, but just to be accepted by people as, well that's Xan she's got her funny little ways but she's just human, like the rest of us

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

Ok, I think you misunderstood me. By special I meant that I thought I found the backdoor of the system, a hack, that I knew how to live forever whereas "wordly" people didn't.

Vidiot I can't see how the pressure is gone. I watch my favorite TV show or the Cosmos and I don't feel like the pressure to be someone who matters is gone at alll.

I hated being that weird kid who didn't join in at school

I can relate to that.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

When I was growing up in the 80’s I really thought that there was no point being a singer or songwriter, as all the tunes had already been written. And listening to the radio, it seemed to be like that: all the songs were either versions of old songs, or were just really terrible. But of course, all the good songs hadn’t been written, and in this century there have been countless albums released that are much better than anything that came before.
    And that’s the way it is with everything- nothing is set in stone, and change is always occurring- and with change comes opportunity- for those with their eyes open looking for it.

That's a way to avoid just being one of seven billion- do something completely new & different.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I watch my favorite TV show or the Cosmos and I don't feel like the pressure to be someone who matters is gone at alll.

I can relate to the need to find a purpose, my place in the universe. Instead of this purpose being handed to us by God I now had to figure out what is important to me, what makes me want to get out of bed in the morning. It's slighlty different things for everyone, not one great Meaning of Life.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

will-be-apostate - "...I can't see how the pressure is gone. I watch my favorite TV show or the Cosmos and I don't feel like the pressure to be someone who matters is gone at all."

So, you're saying you still feel pressure to "be someone who matters"?

Everyone already "matters" inasmuch as we matter to the important people in our lives, but I was talking about the bigger picture; I feel relieved that I don't have to feel like the future is resting on my shoulders; that I can just be myself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit