News article: Watchtower buys former motel

by AndersonsInfo 26 Replies latest jw friends

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140322/BIZ/403220306

Watchtower buys former motel

Group may also purchase site in Tuxedo Top Photo The former Hampton Inn on Route 300 will provide housing for volunteers working on the Watchtower’s new headquarters being built in Goshen. STEVE BORLAND/Times Herald-Record By James Walsh Times Herald-Record Published: 2:00 AM - 03/22/14

TOWN OF NEWBURGH — The Watchtower Tract and Bible Society closed Friday on the purchase of the Hampton Inn on Route 300.

Watchtower spokesman Richard Devine said the building will be used to provide housing for short-term volunteers working on the organization's world headquarters, which is under construction in Warwick.

The sale price wasn't disclosed.

Another property, Sterling Forest Apartments in a rural area of the Town of Tuxedo, may also be purchased by Watchtower. That would provide housing for long-term volunteer construction workers at the headquarters.

"We talked to the owner there," Devine said of the apartments, "but we're still investigating that. It's not reality at this point."

The complex has about 20 units on nearly two acres. One tenant, Rachel Newman, said her lease is up in May, but she would like to stay at least until her daughter finishes the school year.

Devine said Watchtower, whose members are Jehovah's Witnesses, will honor all of the leases if it buys the apartments.

"And I'm sure we'd be willing to take into consideration extenuating circumstances," he said.

Construction began in 2013

The volunteers working on the headquarters are members of regional building committees. They're organized in all 50 states, convening when necessary to build local places of worship, Devine said.

Hundreds have been helping since the construction began in July 2013. Watchtower aims for completion in late 2016.

Watchtower officials have called their move from Brooklyn historic. The organization has been based there since 1909 after moving from Pittsburgh. The buildings, though, grew inefficient in recent years. The move will also put the headquarters closer to a Watchtower farm and printing plant in Shawangunk.

Apartments for 1,000 residents

At Warwick, a 240-car visitors' garage is nearly complete. There are eight major structures planned, and all are to be in the foundation stage or beyond by August.

Of the 253 acres at the site off Long Meadow Road, about 41 will be used for the project.

Plans filed with the town show a series of green-roofed buildings for worship and offices. Others will provide laundry services and space for cooking/dining, infirmary, storage, vehicle maintenance and recreational uses.

Several apartment-style buildings will accommodate about 1,000 residents. No children will live at the headquarters.

[email protected]

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

I wonder if they will sell it after they finish the constructions.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Watchtower officials have called their move from Brooklyn historic. The organization has been based there since 1909 after moving from Pittsburgh. The buildings, though, grew inefficient in recent years.

That's code for "The buildings were worth more as real estate than they were able to be used to produce profit."

• clarity
    clarity

"wonder if they will sell it after they finish the constructions"

Just a matter of time! You can count on it!

• Comatose
    Comatose

Yeah. I'm sure WT will let that lady stay after her lease is up. A worldly whore slut Jezebel to tempt the innocent but dumb men with her sexual prowess. Look at the harlot! She already has one bastard child. Proof of her fornicating ways!!!

• dozy
    dozy

I suspect that ultimately the WTBTS will use this to rent out rooms to visitors to the Bethel when completed.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Thanks for sharing Barbara.

I'm curious what monetary benefit the WTBTS will receive from owning an apartment complex. Is the WTBTS transitioning from a printing/distribution company to a real estate holding/motel company? The WTBTS from one side of their mouth says, "Donate more and do more", and from the other side says "Buy, buy, buy."

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

ABibleStudent - No, they're not transitioning, they've always been a printing company as well as real estate company, you can't just wake up one day and decide to sell a few buildings in Brooklyn Heights (which is prime real estate in NYC) that you've owned for an eternity, they know what they're doing.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi ShirleyW, I know that the WTBTS is currently both a printing/distributing company and a real estate holding company. I am just wondering if the WTBTS plans to do less printing/distributing and buy more real estate.

Why would the WTBTS buy motels? I could think of two reasons. Owning motels would allow the WTBTS to make money from JWs visiting HQ in the future. Also, will the WTBTS convert motels to rest homes for JWs. Since there are more senior JWs in developed countries than younger ones, the WTBTS might be transitioning into operating resthomes for senior JWs. I could easily imagine the WTBTS pitching to JWs, "Come spend your last days with "Spiritually Enlightened, True Christians" in a paradise on earth" and all you have to do make the WTBTS the beneficiary of your house and assets when you die.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

The buildings, though, grew inefficient in recent years.

Translation: JWs are exiting the Organization so fast we no longer need all this real estate in the city. Oh, did we mention we sold the Brooklyn properties for a $1.2 billion profit?"

I wonder why the closure of at least 17 Branch offices around the world is not also called "historic"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit