I have decided to keep my Blood Card in a prominent place in my Wallet

by cantleave 20 Replies latest jw friends

• cantleave
    cantleave

Xanhippy, the form isn't onerous, it tries primarily to ascertain whether you have been put at risk of an infectious disease.

The actual process is quick it takes about 5 minutes to donate - plus of course all the waiting around prior to that.

88JM, I didn't know my blood group until after my first donation, I am sure you GP will tell you. The RBS card is my corporate credit card, I bank with the even more evil Barclays.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I never displayed my old "No Blood" card so prominently.

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

cantleave I am even more rare, I am B negative and feel guilty I have donated only once. I really should do it again. They periodically have a drive at a Catholic church a mile from my house. Wow, going to a Catholic church to give blood to the Red Cross. Hum, what part of that wouldn't I have been allowed to do before? Oh wait, all of it!

• cofty
    cofty

Well done Cantleave. The first time I donated blood I took some stickers and put them on the KH gate posts.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Fantastic x

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Thanks cantleave, it sounds like things have changed since I first asked about it. Well done you, that must have been a real psychological barrier that you broke through.

• brainmelt
    brainmelt

That's great. I'm now a blood donor too. My son who has just finished cancer treatment has had 40+ blood and platelet transfusions since last Summer so I'm always grateful to everyone who donates. Please donate if you can!

• brainmelt
    brainmelt

When I first gave blood I truly felt like I was doing a true life saving work for the first time ever. The feeling was amazing.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Thank you for saving 3 lives.

56 Facts About Blood and Blood Donation

4.5 million Americans would die each year without life saving blood transfusions.
    Approximately 32,000 pints of blood are used each day in the United States.
    Every three seconds someone needs blood.
    One out of every 10 people entering a hospital needs blood
    Just one pint of donated blood can help save as many as three people's lives.
    ..Shortages of all types of blood occur during the summer and winter holidays.
    If all blood donors gave 2 to 4 times a year, it would help prevent blood shortages.
    ...94% of all blood donors are registered voters.
    60% of the US population is eligible to donate - only 5% do on a yearly basis.
    17% of non-donors cite "never thought about it" as the main reason for not giving, while 15% say they're "too busy". The #1 reason donors say they give is because they "want to help others"
    ...There is no substitute for human blood.
    ...Since a pint is a pound, you lose a pound every time you donate blood.
    Anyone who is in good health, is at least 16 years old, and weighs at least 110 pounds may donate blood every 56 days.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Very cool.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit