Christianity: The most deceptive religion

by opusdei1972 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"This actually was fulfilled within a generation, 37 years later."

I would respectfully suggest you look at the views of N.T scholars on when the "prophecy" was written. Very few would give it a date prior to the events it is "prophesying".

What interests me is the early years after the death of Jesus, two or three groups of Christians seem to have been centered around Jerusalem, Paul of course used Antioch as his base. He gave the religion that he invented a huge start in the Gentile world, the Jewish Jerusalem based Christians doubtless not interested much in such outreach.

Paul's brand of christianity appealed to the common man and woman, and spread like a flame for a while, so much so that it eventually brought persecution upon itself.

Why did it appeal so ? I think it was Paul's "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor freeman, there is neither male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus" that struck a chord with the common person.

Plus there was no necessity with Paul's religion to spend big money on Temple upkeep and on idols and offerings etc, which was why his message was unpopular with the devotees of Artemis in Ephesus.

Altogether a welcome Gospel for poor folk, and some rich folk too.

Doug has outlined above how Pauline Christianity progressed on its often bloody path, but those early followers of the Jesus myth in Jerusalem would not even be remembered today were it not for Saul of Tarsus and his strange visions.

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom
    Yes, it is a pity that Christianity survived. It's an even greater pity that Islam did too. And were it not for Judah Maccabeus we would have been spared the whole lot.
  • Viviane
    Viviane

If you look at Luke chapter 21, and Matthew 24, you'll see that Jesus was simply predicting the Roman armies coming to destroy the Jewish Temple, and that this was His "parasouia" (presence), coming in judgment against the Jews who rejected Him as Messiah.

This actually was fulfilled within a generation, 37 years later.

Not one prophecy in the Bible came true as foretold. Let's look at everything Jesus said about Roman armies ....

..... And that's it. Nothing. He said nothing about them.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

I am a Christian, a follower of Jesus Christ

Who got the story of Jesus Going???

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/283203/do-you-ever-think-about-things-people-believe-about-jesus

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Crazyguy - "The religion was promoted by Rome otherwise it probably would of went bye bye."

There is a school of thought that suggests that the Apostle Paul was a Roman agent, and that his assignment was redirecting the new upstart "Jesus Movement" into something more acceptable to the Empire.

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

Phyzy: Why did it appeal so ? I think it was Paul's "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor freeman, there is neither male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus" that struck a chord with the common person.

Yes, indeed, Paul's rhetoric was attractive for the masses. It was indeed attractive for me for many years. However, even Paul was deceived by the idea of the return of Jesus, which did not happen. In fact, Paul's thinking was revolutionary for that time, when people were wasting time and money in pagan cults. Without Paul, christianity could not have improved. Today, we know the fiasco of the christian religion, but it was an interesting phenomena in the first century.

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

I was a preterist after leaving the Watchtower Society, so I thought that the prophecies given in Luke 21 and Matthew 24 only could make sense for the facts of the destruction in 70 A.D. However, the prophecy clearly said that

"then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.".

but, this did not happen after Jerusalem's destruction. No one saw Jesus coming in the clouds of heaven with power. On the contrary, Jesus was and is absent in many of crimes committed by his representatives on earth. Jesus can't be the head of any church.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

opusdei1972, "Christianity: The most deceptive religion"

Why the most deceptive? Are you saying that other religions like Islam are less deceptive?

• Monsieur
    Monsieur
    ....umm...try Constantine?
  • opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

Village Idiot:

The Christian religion is the most deceptive because it is hypocrite. It says "we have to love our enemies". On the other hand, Islam says: "we have to kill our enemies". It's more sincere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit