DO YOU EVER THINK ABOUT the things people believe about JESUS?

by Terry 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

DO YOU EVER "think about" the things you just take for granted about the story of Jesus?
    There are things about Christianity which should make honest thinkers scratch their head in wonder.
    When beloved (or hated) public figures are murdered (or executed), some rather large waves of reaction ensue.
    There are two kinds of outcry both speculative and descriptive.
    Speculative reactions come from those who are not close enough to events to give eyewitness testimony.
    Conspiracy theories, fear-mongering, skeptical query, and urban mythologizing are common.
    On the other hand, those most intimately connected are often eager to speak up and speak out, immediately clarifying (historians hope) with specific details, personal reminiscences, and context i
    invaluable for overall comprehension.
    A modern example would be the assassination of President John Kennedy in Dallas.
    That shocking event is extraordinarily well-attested by historical standards of reporting. The entire world was informed within minutes.
    Eyewitnesses spoke out along with official reports by law enforcement and federal authority and medical experts including
    the emergency room physicians who attended the death of the president.
    Ironically, half a century has gone by without a definitive conclusion being made by the world at large as to the most important detail of who committed the murder! In fact, 42 groups, 82 assassins and 214 people have, over the course of various speculative investigation, been accused of the crime!
    Among those accused being the CIA, the Mafia, Fidel Castro, anti-Castro Cuban exiles, the Military Industrial Complex, the Israeli Mossad, Vice-President Lyndon Johnson, FBI director J. Edgar Hoover, the KGB, etc.
    Mostly, persons who weren't even present at the murder; persons without any forensic or scientific or law-enforcement expertise (amateurs) have been at the forefront of tackling the details and sorting the many conspiracies! Is it any wonder there is no definitive conclusion?

With the above example of Kennedy's death set firmly in mind, I now ask the question: WHAT IF NOTHING AT ALL HAD BEEN WRITTEN about the JFK assassination UNTIL NOW?
    How much more confused and detached from reality would the details be?
    Why do I ask?
    Approximately the same amount of time elapsed between the death of Jesus and the first writings!
    The first person (chronologically) to commit ideas and contexts down in writing about Jesus Christ had never met him during
    his lifetime or ministry! The man, in fact, had made a career out of stopping people from spreading stories about Jesus. This man was Saul of Tarsus. His only contact with Jesus, according to him, was a supernatural vision!
    What if that first writer about the Kennedy murder had made a career out of shutting people up who wanted to speak up
    about what happened on November 22, 1963 and who, when asked, told a wild tale about being visited and blinded
    by a vision of John Kennedy?
    Be honest now--what would your opinion be?
    They have not been preserved. Have any copies survived? No. How about copies of the copies? No. Centuries passed before complete manuscripts were gathered and copied. None of those manuscripts agree.

Why did it take half a century before anybody bothered to write down the details?
    Why were the stories only word-of-mouth? It is likely because most of the early believers were illiterate.

Is it really any wonder there are 41,000 Christian denominations out there who don't agree? FORTY-ONE THOUSAND who read the same stories and come to different conclusions.
    Can it be because the ministry, words and death of Jesus was even more confused, contested and speculative than the death of President John Kennedy?

It is something to think about, isn't it?

see: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/story/gospels.html

• darwin
    darwin

Terry, Vincent Bugliosi' book Reclaiming History: The Assassination of John F. Kennedy,puts all the pieces together.If you having read it I recommend it. It's a long one, however the best one out there and it satisfied me. The things people believe about JESUS is a take your pick i.e. he is a trinity no he is not. Which is it?

Blueblades

• Terry
    Terry

I have read, so far, 51 books on the Kennedy murder. I really loved Bugliosi's book. Yes, I did.

• whathehadas
    whathehadas

The ever insightful Terry. Thank you

• designs
    designs

Probably the only thing Paul writes that is honest is how the Jews rejected his version of the messiah.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think biggest mistake people makes when reading and trying to understand the bible is that the New Testament was written decades after Christ actually lived.

Many people including myself think the behavioral stories concerning Christ were intensionally embellished with the intent of creating a personal god that was worthy

of being worshiped, at the same time placing these writers in a position of importance as a connecting means to this god.

In other words they bullshitted which is just like all other ancient mythological stories when you think about it..

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

The first person (chronologically) to commit ideas and contexts down in writing about Jesus Christ had never met him during

his lifetime or ministry! The man, in fact, had made a career out of stopping people from spreading stories about Jesus. This man was Saul of Tarsus. His only contact with Jesus, according to him, was a supernatural vision!

WTF, I never even thought of this Terry. You just blew my mind---AGAIN!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The majority of believing Christians are not well-informed enough to know not one of the New Testament Gospels was written by eyewitnesses to Jesus' ministry or death. Does that surprise you?

The overwhelming majority of devout Christians don't know this including JWS.

It kind of ruins the believably aspect if it were to be revealed. .....shush

• Clambake
    Clambake

IMHO

The WTS is essentially just a nutty conspiracy theory that turned into a cult.

I really wish people wouldn’t any mind too stuff like this because you are essentially just thinking like a JW again. You spend all your time studying rubbish you fry your brain and turn into Robert King.

• I believe in overlapping
    I believe in overlapping

I've been looking over older posts and I accidentally read this post about the Apostle Paul.

Where did this this man Terry Walstrom come up with this????

If JWs read this post, that would be it for their faith in the Jesus and Paul stories. At the very least, they wouldn't be able to sleep anymore, wondering if the Watchtower organization is just a figment of the imagination of some very deluded people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit