Any active jws, without using the phrase "God must have..." Can you prove that Noah's ark actually happened

by DuvanMuvan 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan
    I have a number of problems with the Noah's ark story that I could never find the answer to in the bible and so I thought I could ask here:
    1.How did Noah get animals that are indigenous to areas he could not get to (e,g penguins, koalas, kangaroos, moose etc)
    2.the flood supposedly happened around 4000 years ago but there is evidence of civilisation dating back a lot further.(There are cave paintings in France of humans hunting woolly mammoths which I have noticed weren't on the ark)
    3. The wts say that Noah only needed two of each "kind" of animal (not an actual scientific term btw) to be on the ark. What is the actual definition of a kind?
    4.how could the small number of animals apparently "evolve within their kinds" but one species evolving into another (what the wts refer to as macro evolution) be impossible
    5. How did the freshwater fish survive when all the oceans and rivers mixed together?
    6. What did the animals eat, not only on the ark, but on the journey to and from the ark?
    7. Why did god not just kill the evil people in their sleep or something, why flood the entire world?
    8.Where did all the water that was able to cover Mount Everest by 10 (it might have been 15) cubits go?

If your answer contains the words "well god must have...." Then that's speculation and independent thinking which the gb do not approve of

"14 In modern times, a very small number among God’s people have become disgruntled with some aspect of Christian teaching and have murmured against the earthly part of Jehovah’s organization. Why does this happen? Such murmuring is often caused by a lack of understanding of God’s way of doing things. The Creator progressively reveals the truth to his people. Hence, our understanding of the Scriptures is bound to be refined from time to time. The vast majority of Jehovah’s people rejoice over such refinements. A few become “righteous overmuch” and resent the changes.(Ecclesiastes 7:16) Pride may play a role, and some fall into the trap of independent thinking. Whatever the reason, such murmuring is hazardous, since it can draw us back into the world and its ways." -w06 7/15 pp19-23

This is copied and pasted from a post on a different forum so it's weird looking I'm sorry

• prologos
    prologos

No. 7 makes a good point. killing while asleep. but

"god must have"* thought about it, learned a lesson, because

at the original, and soon-to-be-celebrated ---"PASSOVER",

he killed all the WICKET firstborn , kids and animals, all IN THEIR NIGHTLY SLEEP. using just one angel, in one night.so,

are we being used by god as experimental subjects, objects? so he can learn at his own leasurely pace?

*sorry, forgot I am not supposed to use that phrase, god did it.

caveat; the flood is just a story, but

if the original writers had fun with it, why can't we?

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Logistically, it's impossible.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

I want to know why Noah looks old in every illustration I have ever seen.

Sure he was 600 years old but he lived to be 900. And I can't imagine that would be the equivalent of 60 and 90 in our day. Especially when you consider he was having children at 500.

On a more serious note, what do people think about all the other flood stories that are out there? That is one of the things that religious people use to prove the flood must be true. Ignoring of course that many of these stories also have a Jesus like character as well.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Duvan,

You certainly have been thinking about this a lot. You have excellent critical thinking skills. Well done for being brave enough to post on here and tell us that you don't believe in a literal worldwide flood in Noah's day.

We are subject to natural disasters all over the world and some of them cost thousands their lives, innocent people die all the time in these diasters, personally I don't think God punishes or rewards people, so the flood of Noah's day is probably based on a local flood.

Well done for your research young man

Kate xx

• emeth
    emeth

a possible answer to question 8 , a recent (appeared this month in the journal Nature) scientific discovery

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/earth-has-a-secret-reservoir-of-water-scientists-say-20140313-34nel.html

Writing in the journal Nature, scientists said they had found an elusive mineral pointing to the existence of a vast reservoir deep in Earth's mantle, 400 to 600 kilometres beneath our feet.

It may hold as much water as all the planet's oceans combined, they believe.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Emeth,... if there is a vast cavern /reservoir, you would have to believe it did not exist around 4000 yrs ago ie before the assumed worldwide flood.

Assuming it did exist(which if its there would be indisputable) the volume of water would already be accounted for, which would annul that argument.

• emeth
    emeth

@galaxie Scientists now claim that there is a hidden reservoir that contains more water than all our oceans combined

for an almighty God it would be peanuts to use that 'hidden' water

as a matter a fact the genesis account says he did

(Genesis 8:2) . . .And the springs of the watery deep and the floodgates of the heavens became stopped up, . . .

• prologos
    prologos

Yeah, and it went back there after the flooding job was done. The water also has its own cooling sutem to keep from turning into steam.

God* (should not have said that). let out his steam and caused the flood?

• Island Man
    Island Man

I think the catch-all answer that is usually resorted to to explain the logisitical impossibilities of the Noah's Ark story is to resort to arguing that nothing is impossible with God, that God used his power to overcome the logistical impossibilities. But do you know what's wrong with that reasoning? Such reasoning paints God as one who does a patchwork job, because he gets Noah involved in arranging an inadequate natural means of preserving life where he (God) has to step in and put a supernatural patch here and a supernatural patch there, when it would have been a lot more practical and professional to just do the whole thing perfectly and supernaturally without having Noah go throught the trouble of building a naturally inadequate ark.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit