the bible and its prophecies

by Crazyguy 132 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

Abe,

The youtube has not been compiled by a bible scholar. The video is not a credible source of information. Bart Ehrman is a credible bible scholar watch this promotional video instead. I don't believe the bible is from God and this lecture was very interesting. Let me know your thoughts Abe, I watched your video. Kate xx

Kate,

I watched the video well into the question period.

Yes, he gives some very good examples of the problems faced in copying manuscripts.

A far as credible or accreditations go, yes, seems like the man probably has some letters written after his name.

So, where in the bible does it say that it will be men like these who will understand?

It doesn't!

The creditations in the bible for people who will understand is simply a love of the truth.

Also that knowledge is a gift.

Not something earned by spending years going to a college and getting letters put after your name.

You are using a secular point of view that completely opposes what the bible itself indicates, to dismiss the bible.

The Jews used your same argument against Jesus Christ himself:

John 7:15-18

Therefore the Jews fell to wondering, saying: "How does this man have a knowledge of letters, when he has not studied at the schools?" 16  Jesus, in turn, answered them and said: "What I teach is not mine, but belongs to him that sent me. 17  If anyone desires to do His will, he will know concerning the teaching whether it is from God or I speak of my own originality. 18  He that speaks of his own originality is seeking his own glory; but he that seeks the glory of him that sent him, this one is true, and there is no unrighteousness in him.

In regards to Bart Ehrman's accreditations the bible says this:

1 Corinthians 1:19-21

For it is written: "I will make the wisdom of the wise [men] perish, and the intelligence of the intellectual [men] I will shove aside." 20  Where is the wise man? Where the scribe? Where the debater of this system of things? Did not God make the wisdom of the world foolish? 21  For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through its wisdom did not get to know God,

The exact opposite of what you are suggesting above!

abe

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

Here is my accreditation:

Everything Jesus Christ said would happen, is really happening!

All the credit goes to him! (not me)

He is awesome and deserves ALL the glory!

"but he that seeks the glory of him that sent him, this one is true, and there is no unrighteousness in him."

abe

• cofty
    cofty

A celebration of wilfull ignorance.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I watched the video Kate, thanks good stuff. One thing he mentioned during the Q&A at the end is the problem with the verses of john chapter 3 and how these verses have problems when spoken in Aramaic the language that Jesus supposedly spoke and how he could not of said it the way it was written not even close. Just one example of the problems with the gospels, not to mention the earliest evidence of a written gospel was about 150 AD. Also they believe the earliest they thought that these gospels were written down was about 30 years after christ's death, so who knows what he said and what was acctually written. I like his first comments that if the bible was truly inspired of god then why didn't god make sure the writing were preserved so no mistakes could be made. In my studies there is becoming way too many problems with the bible to take it as a inspired writting. Early writings seem to be taken from other cultures and the new testament was rife with all sorts of problems from what Jesus really said to what the writers were being exposed to via other pagan beliefs, the trinity is just one example of this. Lets also not forget that other great men were said to do many of the same things Jesus was later credited with. Walking on water and feeding people, Budha, similarities with Krishna, Mithras etc.

Its becoming harder to take the bible seriously.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Darius I (558? - 486/485 B.C. ) the Great was an Achaemenid Great King and empire builder.

At Persepolis, Darius had inscribed the extent of his empire: from the Sakas beyond Sogdiana to the Kush,

and from Sind to Sardis, according to Touraj Daryaee [citation below].

Satrapies had been used by his predecessors, but Darius refined the process.

He divided his empire into 20 of them and added security measures to reduce revolt.

He was responsible for the Persian Empire's capital at Persepolis and for many other building projects,

including roads through his empire (notably the Royal Road with messengers stationed along it so no one man

had to ride more than a day to deliver the post).

As king of Egypt in the Late Period, he was known as a law-giver, and for completing

a canal from the Nile to the Red Sea. He was also renowned for irrigation (qanat) projects), and a coinage systems.

Has anyome here actually travelled in the Middle East ? In Syria ? Egypt ? In Iran (Persia) ? Seen the tombs ?

Seen the excavations, there was an ancient world, seeing the ruins with your own eyes generates respect

for the fact complex cultures and engineering existed thousands of years ago. You can visit Darius's Tomb.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Yes Darius did exist but after the time of the one mentioned in Daniel for conquering babylon, showing that the writer of Daniel did not know his history to well.

• KateWild
    KateWild

So, where in the bible does it say that it will be men like these who will understand?- Abe

This is called circular reasoning, it what we do when we are indoctrinated intead of being free thinkers. Bart Ehrman discredited the bible, so what the bible does or doesn't say is not credible. IMO only those who thoroughly study the bible with an open mind will eventually grasp that it's not credible and cannot be inspired of God. Thanks for watching Abe. Kate xx

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Never_a_JW: Assuming prophecies are real, why would a loving God send messages in such a convoluted manner that lends itself for multiple interpretations. Almighty as he is, he could prepare a clear message in plain whatever language is needed, lay it on visible spots, make it of indestructible, or at least long lasting material.

God sends prophecies so that men may know that he is God. In some cases, he is vague to the point that they are only obvious in hindsight. But many times they are plain. The Jehovah’s Witnesses can take a plain prophecy and turn it into a convoluted mess. Armageddon is a great example. Despite very plain language and understanding, the Governing Body of the Jehovah’s Witnesses have corrupted the prophecies to the point that their eschatology is a laughing stock.

Armageddon is all about Jerusalem. It’s not about Jehovah’s Witnesses; it’s not about Christianity, nor is it symbolic, nor is it a metaphor, nor is it a day of judgment. And many prophets have prophesied about Armageddon — not just John.

The Norse had a day of destruction prophesy that is much closer to the JW Armageddon. It was called Ragnarök, a day of battle between good and evil. But Armageddon is nothing like that. It’s a day in the future when a world leader from the north finally brings peace to a beleaguered Palestine (Israel). What all of God’s prophets had in common regarding this prophecy is that it takes place in Jerusalem. Even John names the place. But the Governing Body says, no, Jerusalem is simply a symbolic reference to them. And the world leader from the north, the “beast,” is symbolic of all the leaders of the world. Meanwhile, I’m scratching my head and saying to myself, why would God, who knows and controls all things, give us numerous literal prophecies, then decide to throw in one that is completely figurative? It doesn’t make sense.

Now you guys can believe what you wish, but if you don’t believe me, do your own research.

AbleBodiedMan: The brick and mortar city of Jerusalem was desolated because of the Jewish people in the 1st Century. Something similar is going to happen to Christianity due to Satan’s spectacular success: 2 Thessalonians 2:9-10

Yes, Jerusalem was desolated in the first century. But it was restored in 1948, as prophets throughout the Bible prophesied. The Lord told Ezekiel: “...the house of Israel went into captivity for their iniquity: because they trespassed against me, therefore hid I my face from them, and gave them into the hand of their enemies: so fell they all by the sword.” In the latter days, however, the Lord would soften his heart against his people and bring them back into the lands of their inheritance. The following is just an example of one of the scriptures Jehovah’s Witnesses ignore when concocting their bizarre eschatology:

And yes, Armageddon is a place, but it’s also the name of a great battle that will take place there just before the return of Jesus Christ. Think of it like “Bull Run.” It’s a place, but it’s also a battlefield. And in the last days, the Lord specifically declared that he would bring Judah back from all the nations of the earth (see above) to the land he gave their fathers. The surrounding nations believe the Qur'an when it says the land of Jerusalem was given, not to Jacob, but Esau, and they have already sworn to wipe Jewish nation from the map. Muhammad said that the day of resurrection would not come until they fought the Jews. In that day, a tree or stone would cry out, “Servants of Allah! There is a Jew behind me. Come and kill him!” And in that day shall their great leader, the 12th Imam, will bring his vast army down from the north. And Yahweh will gather all nations against the Jews at the place called Armageddon. And it will be there that the Battle of Armageddon will commence and be concluded with the death of the “beast” and all his armies, save for a sixth, which will be spared.

When is Armageddon?

No one knows when the great showdown will occur. But the Jews will hold off the Antichrist for three and a half years. After that, the Antichrist will break into the city, killing and raping. That’s when Jesus warned them to flee for the mountains, not returning to their homes for anything. See Matthew 24.

This is the Battle of Armageddon. And that's why the video under discussion means nothing. Can anyone refute the above? And further, can anyone show how the Jehovah's Witness interpretation of these events holds water? Anyone who reads the Bible can expose the Governing Body's pathetic view of this cataclysmic end-time event.

According to biblical prophecy, these nations will come against Jerusalem in the last days. And Zechariah states
    that the Lord's feet shall stand at that day on the Mount of Olives. Then a great earthquake will divide the
    Mount of Olives, to the north and to the south, creating a great valley. The Lord will then reveal himself to the
    Jews, who will enquire about the wounds in his hands. He will announce his identity, which will cause mourning
    throughout the land. He will then be led through the Kidron Valley and, according to tradition, will enter the
    temple through the East (Golden) Gate, which has been sealed until the Messiah's appearance. This is the
    prophecy according to the scriptures. Notice how different this is to JEHOVAH'S WITNESS doctrine and
    eschatology. The reason I mention this is because biblical prophecy should not be judged or criticized
    on the basis of WTBTS exegesis.

See:

• Ezekiel 38-39
    • Zechariah 12-14
    • Matthew 24
    • Revelation 11

• Viviane
    Viviane

God sends prophecies so that men may know that he is God. In some cases, he is vague to the point that they are only obvious in hindsight.

Full stop. Period. Do not pass go.

What you described is NOT a prophecy. It is so vague as to be meaningless.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" It is so vague as to be meaningless." Known as the Nostradamus method.

There is not one Bible "prophecy", if you examine the claims properly, that is actually a prophecy that came true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit