the bible and its prophecies

by Crazyguy 132 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DJS
    DJS

The very idea that we get a moral compass from religion is fallacious. Numerous studies show that the more secular - and less religious - a community, state or country is, the more functional it is. In the U.S., the most religious states show a direct correlation with: higher rates of divorce; higher rates of illiciit and prescription drug use; lower rates of educational attainment; higher rates of crime, gun crime and violent crime; and thigher rates of poverty, to name a few. These facts can be easily verified. Now Cold Steel, does it look like us atheists are angry, lost souls?

The same thing holds true internationally. In a landmark 2005 study published in the Journal of Religion & Society Volume 7 (2005) (Cross-National Correlations of Quantifiable Societal Health with Popular Religiosity and Secularism in the Prosperous Democracies) the researcher found that, in "almost all regards the highly secular democracies consistently enjoy low rates of societal dysfunction,demonstrating that widespread religious belief does not improve societal health, and that moreover there is a positive correlation between a first-world country's level of religiosity (e.g., the degree of confidence that a traditional monotheistic God exists) and level of social dysfunction (e.g., homicide rates)."

I can go on all night with this, CS. You are like so many other theists on this site; you spew irrational crap based on your feelings, beliefs, shallow thoughts, limited expereience and one dimensional 'knowledge.' And like my ex-wife and so many of my ex-GFs, you open your mouth (or type) based on those feelings, absent any real evidence or data. I'm embarrassed.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

"

I’ve found that when people reject the gospel message and become embittered, that they lose all perspective. Atheists also lose the ability to act in their own self interest as well as their own self worth. It’s also almost inevitable, because suddenly life has no meaning. They spend the rest of their lives kicking against the pricks, so to speak, completely confident that when life is over there’s nothing. They see religion as a form of self deception — a mirage on the horizon with form but no substance. Each one creates his or her own values and concepts of morality, each of which can be dispensed with should it become necessary. And in my entire life, I’ve never seen an atheist who was selfless, loving of his fellow man, noble, virtuous, inspiring, imbued with integrity or having the ability to mete out justice balanced with mercy. One need only look at the recent crop: Dawkins, Hitchens, Madalyn Murray O’Hair, Margaret Sanger, Bill Maher and many others, and their idea of helping out their fellow man is to tear down crosses, eliminate the ten commandments from schools and state property and, oh yes, provide free abortions to whoever wants one. It’s very rare that you’ll find one in a soup kitchen or on a suicide hotline.

So it shouldn’t be a surprise that atheists on this site tend to be bitter, self-serving, arrogant know-it-alls who frequently spout off their own opinions without bothering to elucidate them with substantive facts. They reduce anything they don’t like to it’s lowest common denominator and then they try to hack it apart, all the while ballyhooing their own baseless opinions as if their merits were self evident. Some have even publicly declared themselves to be “brights” as opposed to the stupid, run-of-the-mill saps who cling to their Bibles and their guns.

These goigts have a right to their views, of course, but it’s their rudeness and insufferable lack of tolerance that makes them so delightful to be around and to engage in friendly banter. So don’t let anyone tell you atheism isn’t a religion. It’s a religion that seizes upon one’s mind and ultimately makes a person spiritually enfeebled in the process. This causes them to think religion degrades a person (as is evident from the posts on this forum), but in the end it really makes them curmudgeons."

As an atheist, I could (if I cared enough) be offended by this nonsensical, deluded, load of bollocks.

And that's about enough of a reply as it warrants.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Wow, cold steel, I have never heard that said before about atheists.....yawn.

"..bitter, self-serving, arrogant know-it-alls who frequently spout off their own opinions without bothering to elucidate them with substantive facts."

In order.....

bitter: what is a 'goit'?

self-serving: they are not enslaved to a mythological deity, correct. You say it like it is a bad thing.

arrogant: It's funny how 'annoyed at ignorance' can be misintepreted as arrogant.

know it all's: I have never heard and said... 'we dont know'....so much in all my life.

own opinions: how dare they go beyond the scrolls!

without substantive facts: aww the irony, the reason you don't worship Poseidon, same reason I don't worship Yaweh. No evidence, no facts.

Now...cold steel (very 80's name , I imagine Arnie in a vest with a hot babe on well oiled guns), why not have a go at getting your own opinion of an atheist. The boring stereotype is a bit.....yawn.

• jam
    jam

Cold Steel: Lets look at this crop of selfish Atheist.

Dawkins: His Foundation "Reason and Science" is to support scientific

education, critical thinking and evidence based on understanding.

Hitchens: started a charitable organization, "Will Homes or housing

communities supporting mental wellness.

M.M. O'Hair: "An Atheist believes that deed must be done instead of prayer,

a hospital should be built instead of a church. Founder of the Planned Parenthood.

Bill Maher: Persevering God's creations, he serves on the board of PETA.

• kaik
    kaik

strypes. Rapture word does not appear anywhere in the Bible and it was unknown concept until 1830 by John Darby. I am aware of your text in I. Thes 4:17. Not only the world rapture is English, but other European languages including every Slavics do not have it nor can translate it properly. It this a concept invented by preachers during 2nd Awakening in USA. Mainstream denominations do not accept it which includes Catholic church, russian orthodox, greek orthodox, and protestant churches (like Lutherans, Episcopalian, Moravian Brethens, Calvinists...). Even Baptist churches are divided on this issue leaving rapture as a belief to extremist religious groups that originated in 19th century onward.

If you believe in rapture it is your opinion, nobody is taking it away from it, you are entitled to your opinion.

• strypes
    strypes

*Sigh*

"catch away" is rendered "rapturius" in the Latan Vulgate...

For those of you interested in "signs".. specifically the Revelation 12 "signs".. this video is best watched in full screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5dyEnZFu0w

• cofty
    cofty

Strypes - Are you seriously proposing a new date of 2017 for Jesus' parousia after 2000 years of failure?

He was a false prophet, he's dead, get over it.

"You saw it here first. Highly unlikely yet astoundingly true information all but totally proves that a 2017 sign in the heavens is the very thing the apostle John wrote about 2000 years ago in the Book of Revelation! "

Have you lost your mind?

• strypes
    strypes

Coldsteel,

I concur! Your post are refreshing and I am encouraged to continue in this conversation. I think if you set aside any pretrib/posttrib issue and watch the video I just posted, you will be amazed.

<><

: )

This is a sad thought... and not meant to be a jab at Cofty (It is not always about you Mr. over sensitive) ..

but I really liked one thing Christopher Hitchens said... (I will see if I can find the video) and I prayed for him for quite a while before he died of cancer. He took great pride in his intellect and it was mastastized cancer in his brain that took him out. It is doubtful that he ever received the gift of salvation but one thing is for sure, He knows the truth now.

found it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFCajfOJppI

• cofty
    cofty

I prayed for him for quite a while before he died of cancer - Strypes

By your own admission you prayed for my demise you vindictive monster.

• strypes
    strypes

Cofty, you obiviously didn't watch the video.

No I am not "date setting".. neither is Scottie. He found something quite interesting in a Nasa astronomy program and shared it.

September of 2017 the sun, the moon, the stars, and the "wandering stars" (ie planets), will be as God intended and I am glad NASA made the astronomy program available to the public so that I can wonder in anticipation of the fulfillment of God's Great Plan.

I know you haters are going to hate.. that is expected.

Those of you who are truly interested in prophecy, enjoy!

https :// www . youtube . com / watch ? v = v5dyEnZFu0w

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit