Maybe moving! Need some advice

by Jon Preston 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

Ok so we might be moving to Fl. Wife wants to get away to start over. I also want to move but at the right time and to the right place. She has fam in tampa areas and doesnt want to be too far from them. So ive looked at outside orlando: oviedo, winter park/springs....and also around tampa: branden, lakeland, land o lakes areas.

But i have a family and want to move somewhere more family oriented. Any advice or thoughts?

• KateWild
    KateWild

You really are looking for a fresh start. I wish you all the best with your plans. Kate xx

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I don't know your/her background. It's good to want to start over when leaving the cult and getting away from the phone calls of the local elders.

But moving near non-JW family would be of much more benefit than moving near JW family, so tell us about the people you/she want to be near.

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

Oh they are all nOn or exJW. Im not completely convinced to leave. I have an awesome job and love the people there. But it is boring here and id like to be close-ish to the beach and family activities. Good schools for my kids, you know, gotta keep their eyes on the future. :-)

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

When we left the org we moved thousands of miles away to the beach and as i look out at the atlantic a smile on my face says it was a great decision.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Good beaches kinda rules out Orlando and keeps you on the coast. Support from such non or ex-JW family would be great.

Still, employment is number one. Gotta provide. I would start looking toward where I was going to find a good job close to family if I were contemplating such a move. But it sounds like it would be really good for your wife.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

That sounds like a good plan. I am also thinking of moving (country) to get my wife away from the congregation here that has too many people connected to her hometown. In another location she may not feel the same social need to attend.

• pronomono
    pronomono

This is based on a weekend vacation, but west of Tampa is awesome. Two places come to mind: Clearwater and St. Petersburg. St. Peterburg has a special feel to it. You have to visit to experience it. I would suggest visiting the family for a few days and spend your time driving around the outlying areas. Tampa felt a little too busy for me. Its nice to drive into on the weekend for a visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Are jobs a concern? Usually, Jacksonville area offers good job opportunities and lower cost of living. The houses are cheaper there, the beaches & fishing is great, and the cost of car & home insurance is lower too. It is like Fall there in the winter.

The further south you go, the higher your house & car insurance.

Orlando is super hot in the summertime. The whole state is hot in the summer, but the middle of the state swealters. Near the coast is cooler and has breezes & more afternoon showers.

Fort Lauderdale & Miami are like mini NYCs. A lot of crime and uninsured drivers there. But, there are jobs. If you are a millionaire, then these areas are great.

I don't know how the jobs are in Tampa. It is a big area, so you should get the job before you buy the house.

Honestly, I'd rent a place for a few months before buying.

And, if you don't have to work, rent a house in Islamorada. That's paradise.

Skeeter

• jgnat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit