My JW sister left JW husband

by umbertoecho 22 Replies latest jw friends

• umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

After years of looking down on me for not being "in the truth", being told (more or less) that my daughter died because I did not have the "truth" and therefore God's approval. My sister has, after forty years of marriage and fifty years of being in the truth....left her husband and her dis-fellowshipped son and gone to live with our other sister (who by the way is disassociated)

I am amazed at this turn of events, as I have always been led to believe that they were a fine example of how complete and spiritually protected they were as a family for being in the JW religion. Now I find that her son has been on drugs for over a decade and her husband is hooked to the internet when ever he is not at work or going "out on the work". All those damned years that I have been made to feel "bad" and "faithless" have been a scam upon my sense of self as a fairly good hearted person with a sense of humour and a love of art. So now the congregation will be in a sort of uproar, as they have always been seen to be the kind of JWs in good standing, zealously condemning the world, education, counseling, people in other religions............on and on it goes. Her world has fallen apart as she realises that her religion has not saved her son or changed the basic problems within her marriage. However, for the sake of appearances they have kept up this facade for decades.........only to end up looking like fools as far as I am concerned. I recall her attacking me vigorously for encouraging her to send her son to a rehab in order for competant people to help him out. His being disfellowshipped for smoking was the beginning of a down ward spiral and he never managed to get over the horror of being ignored at every meeting he went to. Now. As of yesterday, after finally discovering how bad his health is and how dangerously close he is to dying, upon consultation with a rehab nurse (they had to in the end) She has walked out of the situation. She said to me on the phone.."The only joy in my life, is in serving Jehovah and being close to His organization..." I kid you not! She actually said this to me. I think she is mentally ill, I really do. And I blame her self righteousness and her gory desire for armaggedon, her blindness to the GB and so many other mad factors in her cultish nature for this sad out come. I am really really angry at her and to evilly honest. There is a part of me that wants to poke a finger at her and say.........."...how truly blessed you must feel within this loving organization that YOU claim Jehovah has provided" The irony would be lost on her though as she has ceased to be able to think coherently..............raving a bit sorry

• jgnat
    jgnat

Ohhhh, sisters.

Finally

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I believe that there are countless marriages inside the organization which are being held together by the glue of duty.

Forced to live unhappy lives because Jehoober can't live with the fact that people maybe actually realize that the person they once chose to be with, is now making them unhappy.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

What a pity. This is a story that can be repeated many times over in Jehovah's Witness families.

The core of the problem is honesty. Your sister isn't honest with herself or others. She is in denial. She blames everyone else for her unhappiness. She clings to one thing that appears stable ... the Organization and the promises it promotes. We know this is an illusion.

Maybe this would be a good time for you to be honest with her. Don't be judgemental. Don't try to make a point. Let her know that you are family - and you're here to help her in anyway possible.

She is having a major life crisis. Her 'friends' in the congregation will drop her like a hot potato. She'll need your unconditional love and understanding.

Good luck!

ginger

• humbled
    humbled

The recipes for happiness don't change just because you are a Witness--nor do the recipes for unhappiness. JW just blind themselves to reality. And suffer in their dark exclusive silence.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

"zealously condemning the world, education, counseling, people in other religions."

That's a keepsake quote. I feel the sting you've felt from your sister all of these years. I think many on this board can relate. She likely sees this latest as Satan testing her, and can't see the root of the problem is that pressure cooker cult.

• designs
  • problemaddict
    problemaddict

Lol at "glue of duty"

......yes I'm immature.....deal with it.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

This is truly sad. Every JW sees problems like this as a failure of the people involved, when, in reality, this is just as much a failure of the religion. If people hadn't have had to put up the pretence of a happy JW family, if they had had professional counseling, maybe they could have worked out their problems or at least put an end to the misery sooner.

Your mom truly doesn't have anything left but her religion, and that is a tragedy.

• hoser
    hoser

the jw system sets people up for failure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit