Why is it so hard to deconvert the JDubs?

by alonein321 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Watkins
    Watkins

DataDog, you're so right. The first thing they teach you is that you should be looking for The One True Religion - and the wtbts is IT! But all of their 'irrufutable proof' as to why they're IT is --- a big fat lie. Then the next thing they teach you is that you'll be persecuted for 'studying The Truth' - that ol' debil's after ya now!

Very sneaky - extremely effective.

If I had to choose only one thing that helped me the most it would have to be the thought that, 'if this is really the truth, then it will stand up to any and all criticism'. That allowed me to open my mind and ears, to really hear and consider 'opposing views', to separate fact from fiction. In the beginning I had no fear that the wt was wrong and wanted to defend it, but I made myself stick to accepting the facts, however disturbing. Their inglorious history has been recorded for posterity. No matter how much whitewash they pour over it, it is what it is - a phony religion built off the backs of hard-working and sincere folks. Do the top dogs feel any shame for their sham, I wonder?

Oh yeah, and the internet. Lordy, if not for the internet...! That's also a part of the instilled fear of persecution - those apostate Satan's-little-helpers are all over the internet and out to getcha!

Like Designs said - it's an enormous challenge to question all our beliefs, to face and bear the possible consequences.

W~

• losingit
    losingit

Right on, villagegirl!

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Thank you losingit ,I appreciate those kind words.

• Gregor
    Gregor

In many cases, it isn't the religion they are tangled in, its the relationships.

• C.O.B.E.Beef
    C.O.B.E.Beef

Island Man and JGnat......Boom! ...Truth!

• steve2
    steve2

Gregor, you da man!

Short, sweet and stunningly perceptive.

You've captured the "block" to de-conversion in one nifty observation. If Witnesses did not have family and/ or friends inside, they'd waltz out of their kingdom halls en masse. Relationships are part of being human - but god when they're held together by fear and threat, they're deadly impediments to reasoning and critical thinking.

• scary21
    scary21

Island man.....I've never heard it put quite like that before but you are so right' . I agree.

Sherry

• baldeagle
    baldeagle

Data-Dog and Island Man you're both bang on! Good observations and comments made by all.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I disagree with this speaker's premise that all religion, for not being founded on reason, are a "disease" on mankind. I'm all for the full use of reason, but it is unfair to judge the many good people who have bought in to the tenets and traditions of their religion as having harmful beliefs.

• alonein321
    alonein321

jgnat

I agree with him that faith is a virus that makes people use an unreliable process to find the truth or the answers. So, they make decisions that can harm themselves and the society. But, as he said, people deserve dignity and respect, ideas do not deserve respect. I certainly do not respect any belief, idealism or culture that is not founded on the truth, although I respect the people that have these ideas and I show this by being honest, clear, direct and open to change my beliefs if they provide enough evidence for their views. Take a look at this lecture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-7tHY_Yjso

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit