Why is it so hard to deconvert the JDubs?

by alonein321 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• alonein321
    alonein321

I was watching this Q & A by Peter Boghossian (autor of the book A Manual for Creating Atheists) on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zksBMdcCzVU

Around 17:15 min, he explains that there are difficulty levels when it comes to religions in aplying these techniques. Jehovah's Witnesses, he follows, is the top difficulty level and the group he has the lowest rate of success. He says it would take an entire book dedicated to deconverting Jehovah's Witnesses and people have asked him to do so, but he does not feel qualified for that.

Please anyone check out his words.

Maybe our community could offer him some insights or we can share our knowledge between us in trying to apply these techniques on our fellow JWs.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Tell a person to lose weight, or give up their addiction of choice. This is not something in the realm of reason.

I think the slow recruitment is no accident. It usually takes just as long to deconvert (6 months to a year, relentless weekly discussion).

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

A manual for creating atheists. Brain washing wearing a different skin.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

Hmmm, JWs and universalists are the hardest ones, that's interesting.

Normal fundamentalists are very honest, like telling ;"you are going to hell" etc......but universalist hide behind a liberal intellectual facade..

Maybe in a way there might be the same dishonesty among JW's expressing thier true beliefs. A JW is trained to spread the word , not to discuss his/her personal wiews. A preaching JW is in "field service" mode, not in his/her true personal mode. When things get a bit tough a trained JW will change subject or leave the discussion.

OK, some thoughts from me.........I think this subject is really interesting. It's probably about psychology, maybe also abut cgnitive dissonance.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

It's a big jump from trying to help people out of cults, to deprogram them, to trying to create atheists. Super irony.

• alonein321
    alonein321

FHN

Please, don`t try to infer the ideia from the book title. Try reading it first. But if you're afraid of brainwashing, you should isolate yourself from the entire world, since any person, book, tv program, movie, advertisement, etc, bear the risk of manipulating your mind. Or you should try being critic and reading everything with an open mind, while looking fo opposite views to reach your own conclusion.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

I was speaking to some middle aged born-ins and the blinders are

on so tight I am surpised they don't need a white cane and a guide dog.

They directed me to the jw org site where there are videos of Russell and

Rutherford, they are defending them, can people be this unaware ?

They show a copy of the "Finished Mystery" in one video.

They still don't acknowledge the fact Russell stole his doctrines from

William Miller who publishing the "chronology chart" used by Russell

and "Daniel Prophesy", with dates before Russell was born,

and charts and dates, and theology ( no immortal soul, no hellfire)

the WT claims as original to them. I am exhausted trying to

crack a wee bit of light into the dark cave of their enslaved minds.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello Village Girl

Don't exhaust yourself on the blind

show those who have sight to stay away from this religion

Those who are in are more likely to be institutionalized, Brainwashed, zombies

and may not leave

Work on prevention for those unaware

I'm certain The Jehovah's Witness website will guide many of

them here. After all This is the world wide web

• metatron
    metatron

The basic question here needs an answer but I have never found a well articulated one. It is kind of bizarre.

metatron

• blondie
    blondie

Everlasting life in good health on a paradise earth and the promise of seeing your deceased loved ones brought back to life are hard things to let go of.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit