Watchtower® and their education

by punkofnice 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

OK. I'm a Brit as some of you know.

What I noticed with the WBT$ is how they only seem to write from an American cultural standpoint. Not a bad thing if you're one of my cousins form the USA I admit........ But.... Here in the UK there are some things that are meaningless to us.

Eg Hazing. This was warned about in a study and over here we had no idea what it was and it kind of alienated the congregation from the study. Good going watchtower® keep it up.....we need more rank and file to be alienated from you.

When I was as school I kept getting words spelled wrong for UK grammar. Eg. Color...we spell it colour. I'm not interested in who thinks they're right on this because it doesn't matter either way...unless you fail your spelling test.

So much for the equivalent of a college education!

It struck me that the WBT$ was either incredibly lazy or myopic or both. Rant over

• KateWild
    KateWild

I agree punky.

As far as grammar is concerned many UK witnessess spell and speak American English instead of British English. This has a effect on how they are viewed at school by the teachers. They do not seem to have high IQ, it exposes them as being in a cult. Save money on printing and expose themselves as an American cult.

Kate xx

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Yuppers. I suredy agrees with y'all Kate.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I was in England a few years back and got into a friendly banter with a very personable British bus driver. He was quite honest in admitting that we Yanks do indeed drive on the right side of the road! I thanked him. Then he informed me that the Brits do however drive on the 'correct' side of the road. Got me!

Just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

"It struck me that the WBT$ was either incredibly lazy or myopic or both."

Both. And much much more. . . .

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Eyeused - Bill Bryson explained it all

Boc -

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

One of the funniest things I heard over the years concerned a District Convention drama. Since they are pre-recorded, no changes can be made for the conventions. One of the main characters in this particular drama was named "Randy". Now, in the USA, that's just a nickname, short for "Randall". My understanding is, in the UK and other places, "randy" basically means sexually 'horny'.

So, while that drama is being played the audience is dying, as everytime "Randy" is mentioned a round of snickers erupts. Punky, do you remember this? I live in the USA and heard it second-hand.

It made me wonder if the WT is that disconnected they didn't realize the cultural differences? It seems fairly certain someone in the UK would've made WT aware of this problem and the necessary adjustments made prior to the assembly.

• steve2
    steve2

To be fair to the organization, the American influence extends way beyond "just" the organization: The general media is saturated with Americanisms - look at the music/videos that permeate the youth market - the yank influence is huge.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Steve I would agree to some extent. We were brought up on American shows like the Simpsons and even the Cosby Show. Most British kids would know what diaper, parking lot, elevator, and drapes mean. We use the words, nappy, car park, lift and curtains. These are American influence from TV and music.

But litterature, grammar and spelling is a different matter. The influence of American spelling is far greater in British JW kids than most British kids. Most JWs spell organisation like this ORGANIZATION. In a school settting in Britain this is incorrect.

What about you Aussies, New Zealanders, South Africans and Canadians, how do you spell "organisation".

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Favorite story I recall about the language was the Brit and the Yank arguing whether it's a "windshield" or "windscreen".

"WINDSHIELD...." shouted the American...."we invented the car!"

"WINDSCREEN..." defiantly said the Brit...."we invented the language!"

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit