Has a critical mass of exJWs been reached?

by truthseeker 52 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

College business courses commonly teach about the life cycles of a business - as to being New, being Middle-aged......

and being a Senescent business. Like Ovaltine. Burma Shave. Polaroid.

Nearly everything I have observed in recent decades as to change in the Organization seems consistent with managing a senescent business (whether they like it or not).

Really, the Organization has something in common with the Catholic Church- a large body of passive-aggressive adherents who skip attendance and discreetly do as they please otherwise. They clap or cheer for the Pope - or the Governing Body but then what?

They both will become irrelevant long before they collapse.

metatron

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Are they irrelevant if threads are devoted to them? They are not a business, but a religion. If you read Russell's literature, it is so crazy that no one should have been drawn to him. Yet they were. I left long before 1975 but Franz had announced it at the convention. What were the chances they could survive 1975? Not high.

People always tell me I underestimate the stupidity of basic Americans. The market for a JW org. is huge. Someone to do all your thinking for you. 1984 and Animal Farm still sell. I have this sense that the Witnesses are more main stream than ever. Major black celebrities claim membership. When I was a kid, we had the president of Dritz Sewing Supplies and Mickey Spillane.

The only force that seems active against the WT is the Internet. I know I always check out opponent sites. Of course, I am a college graduate. Maybe their target audience does not.

When they are irrelevant, they will go the way of the Shakers. When they are irrelevant, this site willl probably cease to exist. There will be no posts concerning which tactic to use to leave or heart wrenching tales of shunning. When I was in grade school during the Cold War, Witnesses were viewed as unAmerican traitors. There was derision. I heard it going door to door as a child. Now most people view them as a harmless joke. They seem more mainstream than ever. Of course, it is relative mainstream. People do associate them with ignorance and lack of sophistication.

I am certain the Witnesses will continue to long exist after I do.

• designs
    designs

Band- People who are bent on needing a religious view to define life will continue in that mode as long as it satisfies certain criteria in their lives. I see it in other devout religious people I speak with. What's it called The God Delusion. God is their fuzzy friend and you can't take away someone's fuzzy friend easily.

• bigmac
    bigmac

we UK types arent really religious--some even prefer foot ball.

the watchtower society is regarded as yet another american product--up there with coca cola and microsoft.

• kneehighmiah
    kneehighmiah

Band on the Run, jWs feed off a persecution complex. it makes them think they're doing the right thing. That's why the JW religion is big in intolerant areas of the world. In developed countries nobody even pays attention to jws. The solidarity of the community is eroding in developed lands.

• metatron
    metatron

Getting back to the original question about a tipping point or critical mass.....the world is changing because thinking is changing. Some learned observers have marvelled at how quickly public opinion has suddenly shifted on marijuana....gay marriage.....involvement in war.

I see the 'truth' as a stubborn little microcosm. If it shifts dramatically, it will be synchronized with a great shift in global thinking.

metatron

• whathappened
    whathappened

I hope to Live to see the Watchtower Society close it's doors. I am doing all I can do tell everyone who will listen ttatt.

• mariu
    mariu

I like the comparison to the Catholic Church. Sure, it's still around, but it's nowhere near the all-powerful organisation of the Middle Ages that meddled with (and in many cases steered) the fate of nations and their people. In first-world countries, it's just a social club with funny rituals and a dwindling membership that doesn't even bother to attend mass weekly and openly disagrees with a large part of doctrine. In developing countries, it's more relevant but just one of many religious organisations to choose from.

The Watchtower's growth has always been more horizontal (i.e. spreading out to more countries) than vertical (getting a large market share in one country). In what is usually called the "developed world" they've pretty much reached saturation point about 20 years ago. Growth occurs only in small pockets, mostly of immigrants, and rarely exceeds population growth. Even formerly promised lands like Eastern Europe are now stalling after a short phase of growth without ever reaching the levels in the West. Baptisms are dropping fast.

In other countries, they can still grow for many many years. South America and Mexico are booming now, though that will likely taper off soon as that's been the general pattern. But there are vast areas like India and China where they basically don't exist yet and could still lure in the usual 0.1-0.3% of the population. We're talking about billions of people there.

Unless there's a major split at the top, they'll be around for a long time. They'll change, as they've always done. But in the countries where most people on this board are presumably living, they will slowly become irrelevant. Just because a few ex-members get together on a forum like this doesn't change it a bit - to the general population, this cult as well as its former members aren't worth a thought. Heck, how many non-JWs have the slightest clue about JW doctrine, despite all the millions of hours of door-knocking? How many can even tell a Mormon and a JW apart? Nobody has an idea except that they're some sort of Christian fundamentalist group, like thousands others.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Most concerning for the Watchtower Society, is the high number of youths, either leaving or refusing to commit and get baptized. There are many reasons for their reluctance. Many progressive Christian churches now have a big emphasis on catering for children and youths. They are encouraged to join in at a level appropriate to their age. Youth groups, separate study classes, and extra activities are arranged and encouraged. The Society's has always had a policy of expecting children to sit still throughout meetings and pay attention to the adult programme. It is been seen as a test of parents ability to exact obedience from their children. The one size fits all meetings have always been boring for children but today’s children have shorter attention spans than they previous generations. They have been brought up with color television and computer games that offer quick action and excitement. Entertainment on demand is a normal part of life. By the time children become teenagers they expect the meetings to be boring and don’t want to attend.

Unlike children of years ago, they cannot be forced to comply. Giving a youth a thrashing in the washroom is no longer an option. The rebellion against parental authority that started in the roaring 60’s, has now become an accepted part of teenage behavior. Today’s youths have access to Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and the worldwide web. They can interact with people their own age and swap their experiences. Youths can now look at the whole Watchtower Society scene and read up on its failed prophecies. They are, in many cases, better informed than yesterday's youth.

Teenagers talk to each other, so they are aware that others are leaving school and pursuing further education. It is no longer such a big deal for a teenager to just say that they are not ready for baptism and will be going to college. Once away from the influence of the Watchtower Society, they rarely return to the fold. A growing number of teenagers, brought up by Witness parents, do not get baptized or go from door-to-door. The congregation simply views them as visitors who sometimes attend with their parents. At meetings they mix with other teenagers, sharing ideas and views. If they choose to date, there is little the elders can do, except have a word with the parents.

As children get older they face many temptations. The days when young people only stole a kiss in the rear seats of the local cinema, before leaping into a life long commitment of marriage, are long gone. This is a world full of attractive young people, who take it for granted they will have a number of sexual partners before settling down and raising a family; marriage is optional. To become a dedicated, baptized Jehovah's Witness, a young person today has to resist all such temptation.

There have always been sons and daughters of members who realized they were homosexual/gay. Their only option has been to suppress their sexuality and perhaps devote their lives to the Pioneer service, in the hope that they will be made ‘normal’ in ’the new world.’ They now live in at a time when western society accepts the right of people to be open about their sexuality. If these young people cannot find acceptance within the Watchtower Society, they now have the option of leaving and finding acceptance in society at large.

Young people are still encouraged to reject the opportunity of college and university. Reality is a stubborn intruder, and as unskilled work becomes harder to obtain, a young person who expects to pay their own way through life has to consider the high rate of unemployment. Finding meaningful employment is becoming more challenging, as the world continues to develop and become increasingly dependent on technology. The Society blame distractions, such as further education, and an active sex life, on Satan the devil and the snares he puts in the way of young people.

Much of the membership is well along in years. In order for the Society to thrive it must attract young people to join or retain the member’s children. With such a large turnover of adults and the exodus of young people, the momentum that the Society has enjoyed for so many years is slowing. Young people are able to use the worldwide-web and read the experiences of many others who now regret following the Society's education policy. The Watchtower Society's track record is there for all to see. Young people are able to study their history changing teachings. They read of the failed interpretations of prophecies and flip-flopping policies. They can decide for themselves whether the guidance this organization offers can be trusted.

Could it just be that the Watchtower Society is out of touch with reality? The elderly people that have been the backbone of most congregations for many decades are passing away. Unless the Watchtower Society addresses the changes that are taking place, the exodus of young people will continue. In such a climate many are asking the question - Can Jehovah's Witnesses SURVIVE?

Taken from: Can Jehovah's Witnesses SURVIVE? by Trevor Willis

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Yes, there has been growth, but what kind of people are joining? What is their background?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit