Do you think not having the book study in private homes has had much effect?

by truthseeker 41 Replies latest jw friends

• krejames
    krejames

I also had a love/hate attitude towards the book study. When I was growing up, the book study was in our home for some years and we had all sorts of odd characters in our group and loads of drama, which I loved. We had a sister who said she had a demon living in her big toe. Me and my sister had to walk her home afterwards and she would fart all the way back and blame it on the demons lol.

In the same group we had an ex-spirit medium and another sister whose mum had been a spirit medium who had been in competition with the other sister before they were witnesses and they didn't like each other.

One of the sisters had an opposed husband and during one book study he came around and put his fist through our front door and smashed the glass. Then the following week he came with her to the study and he was in his pyjamas claiming to have lost his memory and started introducing himself to everyone - completely cuckoo lol

Then I remember having to read the paragraphs. We had a spanish sister who used to tut and huff and puff and roll her eyes all the way through the study and she was sitting next to me making me laugh. I remember on several occasions having to get up and leave the room in the middle of reading the paragraph because I was laughing so much.

They were the good times.

When I lost my privileges as an MS I was the only brother in the group apart from the study conductor and they would get a sister to read (nothing wrong with that in itself but it was the shame of being unworthy). Thankfully it was during this time that they abolished the meeting. Can't say I was disappointed because at that time I had to travel right over to the other side of town during a time when I had no car so I had to rely on the bus and I used to have to literally sprint up the road after "amen" so I could get the bus or else I would have to wait another hour or so. I loved the family atmosphere though and yes we would often have cakes and coffees afterwards - like others, that's what I missed when it stopped - not the study itslef which I often found excrutiatingly boring.

• krejames
    krejames

My goodness I've started remembering all sorts of incidents around that book study back home now! I could write a book on it! hehehe

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I'd read it! Those are some weird stories.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

In Watchtower World..

The Book Study in a Private Home,was the most important meeting you would go to..

Thats were you would meet when the Great Tribulation started and the Govenment was shutting down Kingdom Halls..

The Book Study in the Private home could never be missed..

Now it doesn`t matter..

Just like all the other "Really Important WBT$ Beliefs" that No Longer Matter..

....................................................................................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

A sister had a demon living in her big toe and farts all the way home from the meeting, oh well, just another faithful servant of Jehovah. Sounds like a pioneer to me, is she?

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

We always had the Tuesday night book study in our home growing up in Northern WI. Many of the attendees lived on dairy farms and came straight to our house after milking the cows. It took days for our family room to air out.

The highlight though was always when my 2 cats would come to the front of the room and sit at my father's feet (the conducter) and in unison start cleaning their private parts for the duration of the meeting. Sometimes they would clean each others private parts. Like clock work they did this every Tuesday. I do miss that part of the bookstudy.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I liked treat-night, but hated the Book Study. It's not really just an hour. If you work full time and have to rush home and get the house ready for meeting, and clean up and study highlight, that take up valuable time.

Family Worship night..what's that?? I have refused to do it. I won't reinforce what I know is false.

Book Study was..

DD

• done4good
    done4good

I was out three years before this went into effect, but I cannot see this as a good thing for the organization overall, even if people enjoy the extra night off.

The book study was one of very few "warmer" aspects of the organization. It is now just one big cold and itellectually lacking void.

Long...............Slow........................................................Brain.......................................................................Drain

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

truthseeker:

For people who are happy in the religion, it was a lost opportunity to "associate". Others were shocked because the religion always said the bookstudy was so "important" because in times of persecution (almost funny now) the JWs would go there and assemble or hide.

I think the religion ditched it because it was a liability.

Now, I think the JWs got used to the night off and maybe they like it this way. They should get rid of all the meetings.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

LongHairGal is on the right path. They should get rid of all meetings. That way, you won't be corrupted by unbelievers.. Simple. Problem solved.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit