Jehovah's Witnesses Street recruiting thwarted by "Apostates"

by Watchtower-Free 53 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Yeah, I remember doing street witnessing early in the morning, downtown. I would give magazines to people walking to work. At the same time, in my head, I was judging them all, thinking: They are all so focused on this life that they are missing the everlasting life. Poor SOBs.

Yeah, I used to judge alot.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I had fantasized about bringing a big sign next to one of their literature stand and now that I have seen the vid, I have to say that it makes the persons with the signs look nut.

The reason is simple: it is a direct attack on JW. Sure, JW do attack people, but in the end, much more indirectly and thus, it doesn’t look so aggressive… even though we know they are actually very aggressive, much more than a simple banner (ex: shunning, insulting dissenters through press and talks, etc).

I think the best way to cause them issues is to persistently go there, ask them simple, yet, very provocative questions and leave. Let these doubts slowly eat away at them as they did to us and one day, they will be among us.

Simple questions like:

• In regards to the first Christians, provide an example of :
      • Construction projects
      • Door to door success stories
      • Family preaching together
      • Buildings owned by the congregation
      • Judicial Committees
      • Instructions pertaining to shunning family members.
      • Prayers using Jehovah’s name.
      • Miracles performed in Jehovah’s name.
      • Letters/books detailing organizational procedures
      • Member being excommunicated for sharing teachings not in line with the GB.
    • How many writings were written by the first Christians? Knowing the success met by the first Christians, why does the WT need to publish so much information?
    • If there was a Governing Body in the first century, why does the bible have 14 books from Paul and none from this Governing Body?
    • According to Jehovah’s Witnesses, Act chapter 15 describes a Governing Body meeting. Describe how verse 12 and 22 fit in today’s arrangement.
  • steve2
    steve2

I have no brief to defend the Witnesses, yet I felt empathy for the Witness who was subjected to this couple's loud denunciations - especially given that it was purposely being videod. Hell, if someone publically decried the organization I belonged to and then said, "I love you," and a camera was aimed in my direction, I would feel cornered and angry. The couple are obviously well-intentioned but have let their raw emotions of hurt over the way they have been treated by the organization override their judgement.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

That's not the way to proceed IMO. Not that I am an expert or anything. I would not have tag-teamed them. It's just that the poor dubbies don't know anything about the old literature. They don't know what was really taught. They can't defend anything.

It may accomplish something, I suppose. I remember when I was burnt-out and awakening, I went to a door and an attractive women was helping her father into his wheelchair. I figured that I would say something nice. I approached with a smile and she said, "GO AWAY!!" She turned away and walked away, she never looked back. That was a real eye-opener for me. People do not want the WTBTS's products.

As far as the rolly-cart ministry is concerned, I would take a different approach. I would just stand there wearing a sandwich board that reads, Jwfacts.com Learn "the truth" about,"THE TRUTH." Jeeze, hire some bum to wear the sign and follow them wherever they go. Give him 20$ he will follow them all day and not say a word.

I think the rolly-carts will fizzle out, just like setting up tables. The apathy of the public will accomplish a lot.

DD

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio

"Apostates" like that only strengthen the apostate-paranoia that is taught within the organization. It's partially because of people like that (and people who go from not being Witnesses to attempting to draw attention to themselves or get their own "flock") that it took me so long to even read up on opposing viewpoints.

The worst part is, people like them start to represent the "whole" because of the loudest people being the most noticed, and only serve to keep people within the organization.

The best thing to do is to constantly avoid talking about the religion except to raise questions every blue moon that will attack the cognitive dissonance.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I agree fully with Steve2 above. I also feel that if anyone else thinks of doing something similar, they do need to be properly prepared.

To shout out things about C.T Russell and Freemasonry was silly. It has been proven over and over that the closest connection he had was familial, and an interest in it, maybe a respect.

The thing is that today's JW's have already caught the WT zeitgeist that C.T. Russell is toast. He matters not to the R&F.

If we make accusations they need to be 100% plain to understand and accurate, and primarily, smack up to date.

Having said that, I respect the right of this lovely couple to do what they did, and I admire their courage and commitment.

As Mark said a couple of times "No more", JW's , encouraged by the WT, need not think they can have things all their own way anymore.

They do not own the pavements, if they want to get their propaganda across, they can expect those who do not agree with them to put their point of view too.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Pacopoolio - "'Apostates' like that only strengthen the apostate-paranoia that is taught within the organization."

Yup; never underestimate the versatility of a persecution complex; it'll run on just about any kind of fuel.

BTW, I like that - "apostate paranoia" - in encapsulates it really well.

How about "apostanoia" (you know, like "smurphobia")?

• jws
    jws

I like challenging JWs. Maybe not as confrontationally, but I will talk to them and raise questions. I figure if they're spending their time talking to me, they aren't talking to somebody else who might fall for it.

I agree about the Six screens. Haven't been there in a while, but when I was, things looked dark and spooky. If I were a JW, I'd think Satanic. I'd take one look, and it would firmly establish my belief that all apostates are controlled by Satan and never look at such things again.

One thing that I did take issue with is the Masonic comments. I know that's been discussed on this board before and to my recollection, nothing seemed concrete. And there was no evidence of Russell's membership.

If people are going to debate JWs, I wish they would stick with more solid evidence. Stuff that can be proven without a doubt. Like things they published themselves that can be looked up.

I think it's a good thing to block other people from listening to them. As long as you're rational about it. If you come off as crazy, people might listen to the JWs out of sympathy for how they're being picked on or in piquing their interest into what you're trying to suppress. Just like when the Catholics protested Last Temptation of Christ. I probably would have given no attention to the movie if they hadn't. But after I saw they were protesting, I HAD TO see what the fuss was about.

• steve2
    steve2

Quite frankly, my dears, one religious nutter on the pavement with their paraphernalia is like every other nutter. To come across 2 different groups of nutters arguing between themselves would confirm my belief that all religious people to one degree or another lose all sense of rational proportion when it comes to attacking other groups. How dare anyone share their beliefs about God with me when believers of multiple shades cannot - and will not - agree among themselves who is wrong and who is right?! And you expect me, a nonbeliever, to find this of interest?

The only thing the JWs had in their "favor" in the self-congratulatory video was they were on the receiving end of the undignified hectoring by this otherwise lovely couple. If I want to have a dollop of public screeching, I'll take it in the privacy of my home on the Jerry Springer show where I too can screech back in laughter - in the privacy of my own home and spare myself from the shame of this kind of public spectacle.

• clarity
    clarity

Data-Dog...

"I would just stand there wearing a sandwich board that reads, Jwfacts.com Learn "the truth" about,"THE TRUTH.".......

Data ..would this be with clothes ........or without?

clarity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit