OneEyedJoe

Well I guess that makes one of us.

Great thread BTW.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

BTTT

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

For someone who asked.. This is the thread that got me started, in terms of posting and becoming 'apostate' in my views..

(Page 2)
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/275576/2/Active-JWs-can-you-defend-THE-TRUTH#.U_RfT12t-o8

I always had doubts I tried to ignore, but I was emotionally blackmailed into getting baptised.
    I'm stuck being an active Jw due to living with family and being dependent on some JW's in terms of work and finances as well as for emotional and physical support.
    Please don't ask for more details, I am a private person who gets a bit short-tempered if anyone tries to push me to do something or asks a lot of questions. I'm not that important, anyway. My hatred for animal abuse and love for animals had always caused me difficulties in reconciling a loving God with one who drowned all those innocent creatures in the Flood. The following thread made me think seriously for the first time whether I could love such a God. I then realised there was no reason to believe in a theistic God at all. No reliable evidence of a caring being or even an afterlife. So now I'm just another atheist that gets on people's nerves by attacking beliefs.
    But it's time for a break. I don't need to feel as though I have to reply to every arrogant comment that is made, and I don't have much left to say anyway.
    Peace to you all, and apologies to anyone who got annoyed by my forthright style.
    I just don't react well to people judging other people or telling them what they should do or believe. I'll try to be less confrontational in future, I guess.

Anywho, here's the thread that led to me becoming atheist, if anyone cares. I haven't seen a satisfactory answer to this question yet, and I don't really expect to hear one...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/222352/1/Theists-why-does-God-allow-suffering#.U_Rf5F2t-o8

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

I said: "I then realised there was no reason to believe in a theistic God at all."
    Should I add 'in my view' to that sentence, so as not to annoy people further?
    Anyway, thanks to Simon for letting me post here.
    Hope I've contributed something that was useful to someone, in between having a go at people's ideas of a loving God. I also hope that anyone I was rude to will forgive and forget.
    I mostly try to be polite, but the drive to look for answers with supporting evidence is strong, and it's hard to just accept any unsatisfactory answers and apparent contradictions, without questioning them.
    We all did that, for a time, as believing JW's..
    'Jehovah is loving, he'll always look after you like a caring Father'
    'You'd better get baptised or you're for the chop at Armageddon'...
    'Jehovah cares about all the animals'
    'Why did He drown all the animals in the Flood then?'
    'Well, He doesn't protect them individually, and He had to destroy all those wicked people.'
    'What about the babies and little children?'
    'They would have grown up to be bad.'
    Etc..
    In order to awaken mentally from the brainwashing, at some point we had to stop accepting unsatisfactory answers.
    Ok, I'm done.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

dot - You are okay you know that?! I think you're doing great.

• Splash
    Splash

I haven't read this whole thread so hope I'm not duplicating anything.

But how can you defend the 'Truth' when it's not something that ever stays the same?

From the teat of mother:
    http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200277174

Splash

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks for the link Splash just shows they have to admit their "truth" changes with disconcerting frequency. But, as usual, Mother is only telling her kiddies partial facts.

That list shows the revisions to the latest explanation for each teaching, but does not show the times they changed before, and flip-flopped to and fro too.

Such changes ("New Light") took place often in as little as a few months of each other !

(Is that New Light coming from a strobe ?).

Such a list would show to even the staunchest JW that the WT/GB/Doctrine-makers are making it up as they go along, and not doing it very well.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Of course I can defend the teachings since they are bible based. I just don't care to do so as I am so tired of the Bible.

Why does everything have to follow the first century model? What made them right?

The bible is about this person said this or that or did something and we are forever using it as an example.

Boring!!!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

"We are forever using it as an example....BORING." Rattigan

True, but you have start somewhere with dubs. Getting them to see that their "truths" are not consistent with their most sacred book is a logical first step.

DD

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Thanks punkofnice. I'm glad someone thinks that I'm okay. ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit