R U disfellowshipped 2

by DFshipped 41 Replies latest jw experiences

• larc
    larc

Mommy,

After my mother was disfellowshiped for smoking, none of her JW sisters ever came to see her, some of whom she had known for as many as 30 years. (They did not have shepherding calls in those days.) When my mother died, we didn't have a service. There would have only been three people there: my sister, an active Witness, and my wife and I - both inactive.

As you can tell, from my posts regarding Beth Sarim and Rutherford, I enjoy integrating historical information. Here's the history of smoking: At one time it was acceptable. Rutherford smoked the finest cigars money could buy, along with the finest Candian wiskey illegally obtained during prohibition. Later, smoking was frowned upon, but had no negetive consequences. When the rules got harsher before the 1975 end of the world predictions, it became a disfellowshipping offense.

• mommy
    mommy

Larc,
    Here we sit talking about people who are disfellowshipped because of changing views. I feel so sorry for the ones who lost their lives, because of changing views. So sad.
    lotsa love,
    wendy

• larc
    larc

Mommy,

Some of the rules have become stricter over time, e.g., smoking and some have become more lenient. The military draft is an example of an easier situation today. During World War II, my older cousin spent three years of a five year sentence in a Federal prison. When I was of draft age, most spent a year at an honor camp, a prison in the woods with minimum security. At that time you could not ask for this, but the judge could sentence you to hospital service. This happened to my sister's husband. He "lucked out" because he had an enlightened judge. Of course today, a Witness can serve alternate nonmilitary service and not have to face a jail sentence at all.

Times and situations change now don't they.

By the way, we were instructed that when you got your draft notice, you would go report. When they read the oath and when they told everyone to take one step forward to acknowledge the acceptance of the oath, that you must remain in place. At that point, you would be taken away for sentencing.

• battman
    battman

Hi Curly,
    I enjoyed your input. We should award two points to Wendy for
    starting the "Legal" issue of two DF assoc. I do not want to speak for her but I can see both the sublte humor in her question and
    real reason to seriously consider the matter. All this points up
    to what I feel is part of the problem, tooooo many rules!!!
    KISS = Keep it simple stupid. The WT keeps "simplyfing" - NOT.

I try to remember the greatest command "Love". I have spent many
    hours trying to find "The Truth" and the deeper I dig the more
    confused I get. Sometimes it feels better to step back catch a
    fresh breath of air and smell those flowers and remember to laugh
    at it all, with love for myself, you and everyone else. I have very
    much serious work to do in all those areas, but that is what the
    truth is beginning to shape up to me. The truth is a search, lifelong
    at that, and I feel you are very observant when you said each of us
    has our own truth. The hard part for me is to learn to live with
    the fact not everyone else has "My Truth". Rats, I hate that part.
    Thanks for your articulate post and look forward to hearing from you
    and the others searchers.

lv battman

• CurlyQT
    CurlyQT

Mommy,

I can relate to your issues with family. I came from a very big and close italian family. After making the choices that I made, I went back to talk with my family, who at that point had already stripped my picture off of their wall. When I told them that I was getting DF'd they took my key, and treated me as a common criminal... and then told me that the Gwen that they loved was dead. That was the last I talked with them. I didn't have any contact with any of them including my brothers and sisters one of which I was extremely close to for about three years... and then this last October I received a phone call from my sister... and I have resumed a relationship with my now very grown up brother and sister. It has been a wonderful blessing to my life. They have been able to not only share in the part of my daughters and fiance's life... but also in mine as well. Haven't heard from the rest of the fam... but I have faith that one day we'll meet again.

G

• CurlyQT
    CurlyQT

Battman-

I too get frustrated some times about people not seeing "My Truth" and then I remember, oh yeah, they aren't me. :) They have found their own truth in one way or another. I realize more and more the beautiful paradox's that make up this experience we call life. It is truly amazing how much there is to learn out there if we get past what everyone else is doing and just focus on ourselves individually. Anyways, :) Thanks for your reply...I too have been striving to live my life in love for myself, for everyone else, and for God. At this point, I figure if love is my intent then I can't go wrong. No matter what decision I make in my life.

G

G

• happytobefree
    happytobefree

Battman and Curly,

How wonderful it is when you find your own "TRUTHS". And smelling flowers and enjoying the refreshing air that is about the BEST TRUTH EVER. It is so funny to NOW realize that the simply things in life is what it is all about.

Batt you mention that the WTBS should KISS (Keep it simple stupid). But is is hard when they are SOS (STUCK ON STUPID).

Happy to be Free (Me)

• unanswered
    unanswered

hi, i'm disfellowshipped and even tough i have no plans on going back i wouldn't want to dissuade you from your intentions. with due respect i have one question for you. having been disfellowshipped yourself, how will you treat disfellowshipped ones close to you after you are reinstated? i'm not being antagonistic, just curious.

• DFshipped
    DFshipped

Thanks for the reply and that is a good question.
    Let me try to answer it and I'm sure will be offended, so I apologise in advance if you are but hope you see the reasoning.

I specifically requested contact and the opportunity to get to know disfellowshipped ones who are desirious of returning to the organization, ie: wanting to be reinstated.
    If they, like me are sincere about going back, they will understand that going back effectively ends their association with other disfellowshipped people. If they are reinstated before me I would expect them to stop communicating with me and wait for my return as I will do for them.
    For those who have emailed me, we have addessed this potentially painful possibility and we agree that like anything worth making sacrifices for, being reinstated is a precious gift. If any of my friends are reinstated ( and one has been ) I will respect their decision to stop association with me and am more determined than ever before to qualify again as their brother.
    I hope this answers your question.
    Just remember that in the meantime we are "holding hands " and helping each other through this difficult and painful time. I believe this is evidence of the true love Jesus spoke of that would exist among true followers. I love them enough to encourage them now and let them go until I can rejoin them in our brotherhood.
    I hope this makes sense, if it does you are probably one of those who have joined me, if it doesnt make sense then that is why you have not joined this little circle, either way I hope the best for you.

• Priest73
    Priest73

Nope. just never went back. fade lasted 13 years... and 500 miles. am i in the clear... hope so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit