Pioneering: How the GB shamelessly capitalizes on members' worldly desire for prominence.

by Island Man 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Island Man
    Island Man

The bible likens the preaching work to a sacrifice of praise - praise to God. Pioneering is also a sacrifice that involves praise. It's the sacrifice of a specified number of hours that wins you the praise of men.

When you really analyze the psychology of pioneering it is apparent that the praise of men or prominence before men is at the heart of it. Why else does the Kingdom Ministry dangle the carrot of pioneering as if it were a much to be coveted end in and of itself? Notice this excerpt from the February 2001 Our Kingdom Ministry page 3 paragraph 3:

March has five Saturdays, and April has five Sundays. By planning full service days on the weekends, many publishers who work full-time have found that auxiliary pioneering is within their reach.

Look for months with five weekends so that the coveted role of pioneer may be within your reach. Look for every possible advantage so that you can have the prominent role of pioneer. Because being a pioneer is what preaching should be all about, right? I mean who is going to preach for 70 or more hours if their name isn't going to be read from the platform at the meeting? Who is going to waste a good 70 hours preaching without getting the coveted title of pioneer?

Now think about it: what's the difference between just giving your best in the ministry and winding up preaching for 72 hours at the end of the month; and signing up to be a pioneer and preaching for 70 hours in the first 3 weeks in the month and taking the last week off because you have "made your hours"?

In the latter case you get a prominent title, a special text book and special meetings all of which are not afforded to non-pioneers - even if they made the same number of hours or more. (Not that the Service Overseer is likely to allow a publisher to make pioneer hours without harrassing him to sign up as a pioneer to make the congregation stats (specifically the number of pioneers) look good) Also, in the latter case, its not so much about doing your best than it is about "making hours" to maintain a priviledged position.

So pioneering is really a system of paying for prominence - paying for "narcissistic supply". The JW pays the organization with 70 hours of service and the organization rewards him with the prominent role of pioneer along with the perks that go along with it.

But wait a minute! Isn't seeking prominence a 'worldly' trait? So how could Jehovah's pure, spiritual, separate-from-the-world Organization have set up a system to motivate increased time publishing its message by pandering to 'worldly' traits like the desire for prominence and recognition? And didn't Jesus say not to practice your righteousness before men to have them praise you?

And don't forget the 'widow's mite'. The one giving little out of his want is giving more than the one giving a lot out of his surplus. So retired, on-vacation, unemployed or otherwise time-endowed JWs who can give a surplus of hours for the title of pioneer are, from Jehovah's standpoint, giving less than time-constrained JWs who can barely scrape 6 hours a month out of their want. But the pioneers are given the special recognition and perks while those giving time out of their want and falling below the average are considered as less spiritual.

Jesus must be very proud of his 'faithful and discreet slave'.

• startingover13
    startingover13

Spot on! Great analysis.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Well said. In the corporate world, workers are rewarded for working extra hours to show their devotion to the company. These are most often the workers who are promoted, and who then burden their subordinates with meeting their own unreasonable standards for devotion to the job. It turns out that the JW religion works the same way. Just as elders are good "company men", pioneers are good company women and men.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

My dad was chastised by the elders for not signing up for auxiliary pioneer and putting in the required hours...they told him he deprived the congregation the encouragement resulting from knowing he was pioneering! What about the encouragement of seeing him out in service every day of the week? Idiots.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

What did Jesus say about taking credit for your service, to be noticed by men?

Matthew 6:1-6 (NWT 2013)

“Take care not to practice your righteousness in front of men to be noticed by them;+ otherwise you will have no reward with your Father who is in the heavens. 2 So when you make gifts of mercy,* do not blow a trumpet ahead of you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be glorified by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 3 But you, when making gifts of mercy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your gifts of mercy may be in secret. Then your Father who looks on in secret will repay you.+ 5 “Also, when you pray, do not act like the hypocrites,+ for they like to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the main streets to be seen by men.+ Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full."

When you fill out that field service time card, you are working to be glorified by men. No one should be reporting their hours or gifts of mercy* to the society. If you are truly a follower of Christ, you give and serve without recognition.

Just an observation, but does it seem like the overseers and governing body are sometimes guilty of "blowing a trumpet ahead of themselves?"

Cross reference denoted by the + in verse 1 above:

Matthew 23:5 All the works they do, they do to be seen by men, for they broaden the scripture-containing cases that they wear as safeguards and lengthen the fringes of their garments.

"Scripture-containing cases?" Is that like a JW bookbag, broadened (stuffed) with WT publications... your "safeguard" against the world?

"Lenghtening the fringes of their garments?" Sort of like gaining titles and status within the congregation and/or organization?

Just quoting what it says in their own version of the bible...

*gifts of mercy has a note: "gifts to the poor" - do they publish this in their yearbook? Do they give to the poor? Oh! They must be doing that in secret... definitive proof that they are the true servants of Christ.

• clarity
    clarity

Great post..... right on!

Never met a more 'LOOK AT ME!" bunch in all my life!

Even as they hurry around...there is this pained look

on their faces ...the suffering for god look! hahah

The prestige is a powerful card that they hold....mostly

for the women who have NO other way to be 'looked-up to'

in this borg!

Omg they even get to sit in on mtgs with the ........ CO!

Soooooo friken special!

One pioneer sis had full knowledge of elders opinions of my

spirituallity ...& never hesitated to give me 'counsel'! LOL

So, for sure the enlarged opportunity for inner room gossip

is another perk for pioneers!

"Lenghtening the fringes of their garments?"

Now, the Catholic Nuns have their recognizable costumes,

but the apparel of pioneer women in my neck of the woods,

is remarkable too with the very long length of the coats

(mostly dark blue or black) & skirts, with leather kneehigh

black boots! Whooa ...impressive or what!!!!!

clarity

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

I auxiliary pioneered a couple of times as a single parent.It was bloody hard work and I never made the hours due to illness/bad weather.I didn't feel special or privileged when I pioneered, just knackered!!!

I'm not a good salesperson anyway, especially, if I'm not convinced of the product.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Oh, I remember the fashion boots and the 6" heels!

They can make claims about themselves, but the JW women were the most flashy and worldly-looking people I knew in this rural area.

The hairdos, makeup & perfume... made it pretty evident that they loved to spend money on their appearance.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Human beings are - at their core - tribal creatures, and as such, tribal status is a fundamental factor in our psychological makeup.

Denying it or trying to suppress it instead of allowing it to be expressed in a normal manner can only result in individuals striving for it in less obtrusive (and often unhealthy) ways, even if they're unwilling to admit it to themselves.

I'd realized this was the case even in the WTS long before I'd ever considered fading an option.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

They have to sell pioneering in some way, because the actual day to day activity of a pioneer is a dreadful way of life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit