What are you reading right now??

by DATA-DOG 58 Replies latest jw friends

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I am reading "STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND" by Robert A. Heinlein. I read it over 20 years ago. Now I am reading it from a completely different perspective. It's great so far.

DD

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Nursing text books. And yes they get quite old after a while.

• Demokan
    Demokan

I'm reading Corpse Party, it's very messed up and Gorey and Scary (It's a manga I'm a teenager, not to say adults can't enjoy Manga's) There's also an anime for it.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

I just started reading " When Prophecy Fails" by Leon Festinger. Have been interested in this book for sometime, (as I learned about cognitive dissonance here) after waking up from the JW cult.

It's just incredible how the human mind continues to deceives itself( over and over )and how cognitive dissonance affects and even reinforces one's belief when the evidence proves otherwise.

(Hope that made sense; my mind is like a sieve.)

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I love anime and Manga. I grew up with Mazinger Z, Robotech, Gatchaman, Speed Racer, Ninja Scroll, Fist of the North Star, ect. My kid loves Manga as well. We like to watch Inuyasha together and DBZ, not GT.. We just watched the first season of Attack on Titan. There is so much out there. My kid is pretty much an Otaku. We love anything Japanese.

DD

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

This Thread..

............................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Me too Outlaw !

I ordered the book that Johnny Carsons lawyer wrote about him, can hardly wait for it to get here.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

The Rosie Project.

It's hilarious, and I can't wait to see it in movie form.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Rosie-Project-A-Novel/dp/1476729085

MEET DON TILLMAN, a brilliant yet socially challenged professor of genetics, who’s decided it’s time he found a wife. And so, in the orderly, evidence-based manner with which Don approaches all things, he designs the Wife Project to find his perfect partner: a sixteen-page, scientifically valid survey to filter out the drinkers, the smokers, the late arrivers.

Rosie Jarman is all these things. She also is strangely beguiling, fiery, and intelligent. And while Don quickly disqualifies her as a candidate for the Wife Project, as a DNA expert Don is particularly suited to help Rosie on her own quest: identifying her biological father. When an unlikely relationship develops as they collaborate on the Father Project, Don is forced to confront the spontaneous whirlwind that is Rosie—and the realization that, despite your best scientific efforts, you don’t find love, it finds you.

Arrestingly endearing and entirely unconventional, Graeme Simsion’s distinctive debut will resonate with anyone who has ever tenaciously gone after life or love in the face of great challenges. The Rosie Project is a rare find: a book that restores our optimism in the power of human connection.

• zophar
    zophar

Rip

I just finished "When Prophecies Fail." It gets bogged down about 1/3 way through but good example of a group with Cognitive Dissonance. No matter that things don't happen as predicted, it is made to fit. Hey, just like "new light". However, there comes a point where things fall apart.

I think the Org is facing that with many now. Everytime I have a cautious conversation with my lifelong JW friends they have the same concerns I do. And, they are relieved to be able to talk about it with me. Of course, that would not be true if I were DF or DA. Just short time ago, I was serving and being used by the Org. "Being used" what a fittingly true statement!

Isn't it amazing we didn't see it sooner? And yet, had anyone tried to show me, I'm afraid I would have resisted and probably labeled the person trying to help.

Makes me more determined not to get upset when others can't see it. Just hope someday .... When prophecies fail long enough, they will wake up.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Finished "Just Kids" by Patti Smith yesterday for book club. I didn't know the story between her and Robert Mapplethorpe. Interesting and a book I wouldn't have noticed unless book club had chosen it. Now, I'm debating starting "Monuments Men" or "Unweaving the Rainbow" by Dawkins.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit