Did Jesus say his followers would be witnesses of Jehovah?

by blondie 53 Replies latest jw friends

• zophar
    zophar

They use John 5:43 ,17:6

It is interesting that in both of those Scriptures, Jesus mentions "the name" of the Father and yet he doesn't use that name at that instant himself. For instance, he didn' feel compelled to say: "In the name of my Father Jehovah". That may not mean anything, I am merely making an observation.

Not only did Jesus not use the name Jehovah in the model prayer, there is NO recorded prayer of Jesus' where he actually says the name Jehovah.

• suavojr
    suavojr

Hi Blondie,

A few months ago I spoke to my dad (Elder since 1986) about (1 Cor. 1:1-9) you quoted verses 5 and 6.

Me: I asked him, who were they calling everywhere and what name did they used? The word for calling on, is the same that apears in Rom 10:13 in verse 2.

Elder dad: It is not the same calling on.

Me: Huh??? I am consufed

Elder dad: They were not calling on the name of Jesus like they did with Jehovah.

Me: But verse 6 talks about witnessing about Jesus.Verse 8 clearly states that he will make us firm, that he is Jesus.

Elder dad: They were Jews and needed to accept Jesus because they already had Jehovah. We now have both just like the disciples.

Me: I ended the conversation becuase it was going to get me in hot water.

NWT 1 Corinthians 1:1-31

1 Paul, called to be an apostle+ of Christ Jesus by God’s will, and Sos′the·nes our brother, 2 to the congregation of God that is in Corinth,+ to you who have been sanctified in union with Christ Jesus,+ called to be holy ones, together with all those everywhere who are calling on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,+ their Lord and ours:

3 May you have undeserved kindness and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

4 I always thank my God for you in view of the undeserved kindness of God given to you in Christ Jesus; 5 because in everything you have been enriched in him, in full ability to speak and in full knowledge,+ 6 just as the witness about the Christ+ has been made firm among you, 7 so that you do not lack in any gift at all, while you are eagerly waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ.+ 8 He will also make you firm to the end so that you may be open to no accusation in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.+ 9 God is faithful,+ by whom you were called into fellowship* with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

The Bible Students at the time conveniently ignored several scriptures, include these from Isaiah:

Isa 62:2-4: "The nations will see your righteousness, O woman,
    And all kings your glory.
    And you will be called by a new name,
    Which Jehovah’s own mouth will designate.
    3 You will become a crown of beauty in the hand of Jehovah,
    A royal turban in the palm of your God.
    4 No more will you be called an abandoned woman,
    And your land will no longer be called desolate.
    But you will be called My Delight Is in Her,
    And your land will be called the Married One.
    For Jehovah will take delight in you,
    And your land will be as one married."

JWs today, by this passage should be called "My Delight Is in Her". (And "Bethel" should probably be called "Married One"... LOL!)

They also miss God's direct command:

Mark 9:7 "This is my Son, the beloved. Listen to him."

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Great op Blondie. Thanks

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

The Israelites were suppose to be Jehovah's Witnesses. The followers of Christ are to be Christians aka witnesses for Christ. Rutherford made up a weird name in order to create his own religion. I always hated the name Jehovah's witnesses. it made me feel creepy.

Just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" But the WTS got me beat by a mile when it come to bein' dumb "

They certainly are dumb. Fancy using verses from the Gospel of John to try to disprove the Divinity of Christ when that is the whole theme of the Gospel.

If they understood what John was saying by putting these words in the moputh of Jesus (I doubt he actually uttered them, but what do I know ?).

John was saying that Jesus in word and deed had shown them the Father.

I think the WT have problems with big words like "manifested" , and certainly do not understand Litotes, or understatement, as in the first of your quotes.

When you read the Gospels, or indeed any Bible book, without WT Specs on, it is easy to see that there is a wealth of meaning totally either missed, or hidden, by the W.T . Just to protect their own interests.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

How about in the first century, were believers to become witnesses of Jehovah or Jesus?

Acts 13:30,31: 'But God raised him (Jesus) up from the dead, and for many days he became visible to those who had gone with him from Galilee up to Jerusalem. These are now his witnesses to the people.'

Truly, this saying must have been coined with the GB of Jehovah's Witnesses in mind: 'Oh the web we weave when first we practice to decieve.'

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Jehovah's Witnesses are among those who have fulfilled this verse in 1John 2:23: 'Everyone who denies the Son does not have the Father either. But whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also.'

This verse, like so many other verses in the Bible appear to place the name of our Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ, as the name to be witnesses of.

It seems to me that from the earliest beginnings the leaders of who we know today as Jehovah's Witnesses have always avoided embracing the name of our Lord. An example of what I'm talking about is before Jehovah's Witnesses embraced the name 'Jehovah's Witnesses' they were called 'International Bible Students.'

Jehovah's Witnesses refusal to embrace the name of Jesus Christ is very evident, while their overuse of the name 'Jehovah' is obsessive and disturbing...and they will only get more neurotic with that name!

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

marked

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

marked

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit