Did Jesus say his followers would be witnesses of Jehovah?

by blondie 53 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

What did Jesus say?

(Acts 1:8) 8 but YOU will receive power when the holy spirit arrives upon YOU, and YOU will be witnesses of me both in Jerusalem and in all Ju·de ′ a and Sa·mar ′ i·a and to the most distant part of the earth.”

By "divine providence" what did Jesus' followers become known as?

(Acts 11:25, 26) 25 So he went off to Tarsus to make a thorough search for Saul 26 and, after he found him, he brought him to Antioch. It thus came about that for a whole year they gathered together with them in the congregation and taught quite a crowd, and it was first in Antioch that the disciples were by divine providence called Christians.

*** w00 7/15 p. 25 Persecution Sparks Growth in Antioch ***

Some think that the heathen population may have nicknamed them Christians in jest or out of scorn. The Bible, however, shows that the name Christians was God-given.—Acts 11:26.

Here does the WTS elevate Christ's name.

*** w91 2/1 p. 19 par. 18 Honor the Son, Jehovah’s Chief Agent ***

Further, we bring honor to the Son by taking upon ourselves his name, calling ourselves Christians, and then by living up to that name by our fine conduct. (Acts 11:26; 1 Peter 2:11, 12)

Does a form of the phrase "witnesses of Jehovah" occur in the NT?

The WTS uses this scripture, but where is "Jehovah" used or implied?

(Revelation 1:4, 5) . . ., 5 and from Jesus Christ, “the Faithful Witness,” “The firstborn from the dead,” and “The Ruler of the kings of the earth.”. . .

Rather these phrases are found in Revelation

(Revelation 1:9) . . .I John, YOUR brother and a sharer with YOU in the tribulation and kingdom and endurance in company with Jesus, came to be in the isle that is called Pat ′ mos for speaking about God and bearing witness to Jesus.

(Revelation 12:17) 17 And the dragon grew wrathful at the woman, and went off to wage war with the remaining ones of her seed, who observe the commandments of God and have the work of bearing witness to Jesus.

(Revelation 17:5, 6) . . .” 6 And I saw that the woman was drunk with the blood of the holy ones and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus.. . .

(Revelation 19:10) 10 At that I fell down before his feet to worship him. But he tells me: “Be careful! Do not do that! All I am is a fellow slave of you and of your brothers who have the work of witnessing to Jesus. Worship God; for the bearing witness to Jesus is what inspires prophesying.”

(Revelation 20:4) 4 And I saw thrones, and there were those who sat down on them, and power of judging was given them. Yes, I saw the souls of those executed with the ax for the witness they bore to Jesus . . .

And other NT books

(1 Corinthians 1:5, 6) . . ., 6 even as the witness about the Christ has been rendered firm among YOU,

Yet Jesus is no where in this statement by the GB even using an OT scripture to prove rather than NT.

*** w10 8/1 p. 28 Missionaries Sent to “Make Disciples” ***

Brother Morris said: “That’s something to brag about—to have insight and knowledge of Jehovah God. In fact, your greatest privilege—and mine—is to bear that holy name, to be one of Jehovah’s Witnesses.”—Jeremiah 9:24.

• designs
    designs

Franz's fantasy was a sort of theological duopoly of uneven proportions. If Christendom said A Franz said B.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Good refs, Blondie.

Another question -- how many times did Jesus address Jehovah by name in his model prayer? Zero. How many times did your DO adress Jehovah by name in his concluding prayer at the last convention?

My dad's name was Wesley. Care to guess how many times I addressed him by name? Zero!

Len

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Fatfreak my kid is 9 and has never called me Dad, its always Mike.

As for the name Jehover, i think it scares outsiders who are unfamilliar with the name. Then with study a new recruit is shown the name Jehover in the bible....and it really helps with the indoctrination process. Once a study starts using the name Jehover they are on the hook....

• designs
    designs

You mean a person isn't on the hook if they start using the name Jesus?

• dolfinc
    dolfinc

Can you tell of whom Jesus was the "Faithful and True Witness"?

• BU2B
    BU2B

Excellent thread.. Great points, just goes to prove how far JWs really have strayed from the scriptures.

• designs
    designs

Calling on the name of J E S U S has about as much reality to it as thinking the memorial cracker turns into his real flesh....

• blondie
    blondie

designs, the point was not proving or disproving Jesus status in our lives as individuals or existence but rather how the WTS presents him compared to the bible they say to follow so carefully.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Blondie

Jehovah's Witnesses try to justify thier name by ISAIAH 43:10

We know that there is no justification because........

ISAIAH 43:10 was quouted before the Birth of the Christ

After His death and resurrection

Jesus was given the authority in MATT 28:18 to tell folks

to be witnesses of him in ACTS 1:8

There is nothin' in the Bible that overides that

directive in ACTS 1:8

Those of us who now know TTATT found that

In 1931 Rutherford tries to snatch back the authority from Jesus

And introduce a " New thought "

In the Reasoning book on page 208

GALATIANS 1:8,11 warns about that, but the Jehovah's Witnesses continue to ignore

the Bibles counsel

Thank you for this thread

so those who are in doubt about this organization can

see for themselves

It's not the Christ they follow

It's the Devil in disguise, that transforms himself

into an angel of " Nu light "

And comes complete wit " Adjustments ".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit