Did Satan prove God wrong? a possible bibical flaw

by Leander 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Leander
    Leander

Most people are familiar with the account of Job where Satan makes the claim that the only reason humans serve God is because of selfish reasons. God allowed Satan to test this theory on Job, so Job was beset by numerous trials but he refused to give up on God or blame him in anyway.

It would appear that Satan was proved wrong in this particular bible account but was he really? Would the majority of mankind follow Jobs example if they were faced with similar trials? What is the majority of mankind doing now? Also another interesting point is that the WTS teaches that only a few million witnesses out of billions will inherit the Earth. If this is truly the case would this not mean that Satan was correct after all?

Furthermore just as an interesting sidepoint, was it really fair to put Job's children to death, inflict him with disease, cause divisions between him and his wife all over the issue of proving someone else right?

Its examples like this that have caused me to lose faith in the bible.

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Leander,

Are you Satan?

• Leander
    Leander

If Satan is a 29 year old black guy waiting to get off of work in the next 5 minutes then that would be me.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

In the movie "Trading Places" (Dan Akroyd and Eddie Murphy), two old farts make a bet regarding heredity vs environment. One of them claims that he can take a street person and turn him into a stock broker, and vice versa.

So, these two old guys completely mess up the lives of the main characters, turning them inside out - all for a nominal bet of $1.

I always thought that this movie was a remake of the book of Job. Only, its a lot funnier and better written.

If the story of Job is literally true, then God is one supreme ass-hole.

• Leander
    Leander

That was a good movie, it makes you wonder if the writers of that film read the book of Job for inspiration

• Soledad
    Soledad

I always thought that the bible and its writers were extreme and plain ridiculous with stories like Job......now I know for sure. Why would God go to such lengths to prove Satan wrong? Isn't God almighty and powerful? Isn't Satan himself a wayward creation of God????

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld
    If Satan is a 29 year old black guy waiting to get off of work in the next 5 minutes then that would be me.

ROTFLMAO!!!!

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

And yes, since JW's believe that 999 out of 1000 persons will be killed for disobeying God, then clearly Satan was right. The overwhelming majority of humans are on Satan's side.

Witnesses often counter by saying that the debate is whether ANY persons will be faithful to God. Well, if that's the case, then this debate was over thousands of years ago. Why prolong the suffering?

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

RunningMan,

The reason why we suffer is because the debate is still on.

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

Why is the debate still going? How right does Satan need to be? In this thread we've come to the conclusion that at least 99% of everyone on the planet are on Satan's side. Is the debate still going on because God is a sore loser?

Dear Lord, please save me from your followers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit