Sing Dirges to Jehovah?

by donny 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

DD....You have talent in the music business

• zebagain
    zebagain

None match the average untrained voice. There is no base parts for males no high parts for females voices. No praise and that crap recorded piano music. Ugh!

• donny
    donny

Thanks for the replies folks. It's funny that I have never heard anyone tell me they love the Society's music.

• Splash
    Splash

There was a letter a couple of months ago instructing all congregations to download the latest 'improved' music from the jw website, for playing at the Hall.

Some songs were so hard to sing they changed them a bit, and all of them had a higher bitrate quality.

Why do we call them 'songs' when they are more properly called 'hymns' (from Hymnos) - religious songs?

Splash

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Because the JWs can't be tied down by your WORDS, man. They're not even a "religion" that meets in a "church". With a "bulletin board" in it.

• noolite
    noolite

Oh, how that brings back memories...thanks for the laugh DD. Yep, good 'ol song #62 IIRC "We Are Jehovah's Witnesses" (not "We're Jehovah's Witnesses", the song title was different than the lyrics) - and note the emphasis on ARE - they really wanted to drill it into you. As I recall, this song closed most assembies and many, many meetings. It was by far the most used song in the book, and I knew all the words by heart, just from continuous repetiton. I used to call it the JW National Anthem, because it has the same type of fervor as the US National Anthem. Brainwashing, for sure, but somewhat catchy compared to many others in the old pink songbook...

The other song I recall being used very often was #119 - the last song in the book - "Keep Your Eyes On The Prize". Knew all the words to that by heart too. Even after being out over 30 years now, I can stlll hear the tune in my head, even if I try to block it out. I used to make up lyrics too: Ours is the God of lousy prophecy, what he fortells never comes to be...etc. Sometimes I'd even sing these words (but not loudly, LOL). We had to have some fun, right?

• donny
    donny

LOL noolite I also remember the song "Keep Your Eyes On The Prize". I recall a funny incident related to that song back around 1986 involving two young JW's. One member had reported that he had been out in Field Service with his partner and close friend when the friend put in a cassette in the car stereo and it began to play.

This close friend of his had recorded a parody of this song. He said he did not recall all of the verse lyrics verbatim but it was a story about a good looking woman that worked at a restuarant that they often visited while in service. The chorus of the song contained the line "Keep your Eyes on her Thighs."

The songs creator was reproved and left the organization a year later.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit