Sing Dirges to Jehovah?

by donny 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• donny
    donny

Back in 1985 my then-wife and I were having a lunchtime "gathering" at our place to show some support to the ones in our congregation who were full-time pioneers. I had just recently received the vinyl collection of the songs featured in the song book "Sing Praises to Jehovah" which had been released the previous year.

Many of these melodies sounded depressing to me although I would have never admitted it at the time. The gathering dispersed around 5 pm and about 30 minutes later my non-JW parents came by to see their grandkids and to chat for a bit.

As they entered our home one of the "Sing Praises to Jehovah" records was still playing at a low volume in the living room. As my parents sat down on the couch my mom asked "What is that music playing? It sounds like funeral music."

I told her it was a JW production and she then added "Why is it so depressing sounding?"

I had no real reply becuase I felt the same about many of the "Kingdom Melodies" myself.

Some months ago I read a post from an ex-JW who had commented on a review of a gospel album and she stated that "Christendom" had much more uplifting music than the Jehovahs Witnesses did. She said "much of the Witnesses music sounded like "an accompaniment to a death march." Yesterday I was reading the story of our beloved Farkel and as he describes the experiences of his JW days he states that "Songs were sung with all the enthusiasm of a dirge."

So do any of you other former, or even current, Jehovah's Witnesses feel that the Society's music was a big downer?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Good morning!

Yes, there are many terrible and depressing JW songs. One paricular song came to mind. It is a real doozy. It illustrates the mental beatdown that JWs receive, followed by the ecouragement afterward. It's just like having your spouse beat you, and then tell you how much they love you. I cannot think of the title [ The Bible's Hope???] but the lyrics of one are as follows:

[ Dirge -like beginning]

Dark days are here, man lives in fear

None can be denying, for all men are dying

Having no hope, blindly they grope

Wickedness is all around

[Happy time!!]

But the Bible brings out a reason for cheer

Blah, Blah, Blah, blah...I need a beer

something else that rhymes with cheer

and something blah, blah, the Kingdom is here...

DD

• sir82
    sir82

La-a-a-a-azarus lay sle-e-e-e-eping, in a cold stone gra-a-a-a-a-ve...

One of the happier tunes from "Sing Praises".

• losingit
    losingit

To me, there were many songs that sounded militant. Then the reason for it was, it was either produced in Germany, produced during WWII, produced at a concentration camp by imprisoned JWs , or produced by Germans. I kid you not. These songs sounded like we were marching towards war with the world. They very much promoted an us vs them mentality.

I have to say, I very much enjoyed the orchestra version of these songs. They sounded grandiose, and I appreciated hearing the light flutter of the flute. Would I listen to them now? Never! I'll take real classical music over that crap.

I am happy to report that my daughter finally forgot the words to Life without end, at last . It was ourfavorite somg as a family.I've stopped singing it, and now she doesn't remember the third song to our bedtime routine

• sd-7
    sd-7

Great point. As a child, some of the songs actually made me cry because the music and lyrics were so sad. And we used to sing several songs before starting our Family Study. "Be Steadfast, Unmovable" was one that got me. And...was it "The Bible's Hope for Mankind"? That one that was all like "Dark days are here, man lives in fear" and so on. Goodness that was depressing.

"But the Bible tells us that soon there will be, resurrections that will not involve zombies. No it's not the same person, tech-ni-ca-lly, it's sort of like a clone with the same memories..."

--sd-7

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And what about that dreaded song 16 (old song 16) that tells us to be [look and act] joyful, be [look and act] happy? What rubbish!! How that crap even qualifies as music, I never knew. And it tells us to do something that is impossible--being joyful or happy is something that needs to come from having reason to be joyful and/or happy, not because joke-hova blows that fxxxing trumpet. If joke-hova is trying to enslave us, how can we be joyful and happy? That is, unless we are idiots and wish to be enslaved.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Firm and Determined, there's a real dirge. Perfect for when they start marching us to the death camps.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

I never should have clicked on this thread... Now for the rest of the weekend while my wife is away at the CA, I will be working in the yard, whistling to the the tune of "Darks days are here". Thanks.

• Island Man
    Island Man

But the Bible brings out a reason for cheer

Blah, Blah, Blah, blah...I need a beer

DATA-DOG, You almost choked me with laughter. I was drinking when I read that.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Truth be told the dubs too have grumbles about the songs..the trouble is that they dare not say so and, like the "King's new Clothes" they pretend that they are lovely. In unguarded family conversations though, I hear it all. Mind you, there was one recording that used to be played at our old Hall before the meetings. One track on it was a female operatic singer warbling away - that used to elicit a chorus of disapproval and requests to "move it on ,PLEASE !"

Many of the old and popular songs have been mucked about in the current songbook with new tunes or different words , just to confuse 'em....

I cringe at the one that goes "Listen Obey and be Blessed"......Obey? it sounds like the mantra of a Dictatorial State Authority, not a loving Christianity !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit