Florida man shoots teen

by designs 34 Replies latest social current

• OUTLAW
  • lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Dunn was not found guilty of murder in the case of Jordan Davis, and is not doing one minute of time in jail for that kid's death. It was a hung jury on that killing because 2 on the jury felt it might have been self defense based on the fact that he might have thought his life was in danger.

Dunn is going to jail for attempting to kill the three other kids who survived.

If he had killed ALL of the teens, he would be a free man today.

Re: 'Stand Your Ground'...

Florida law says someone does not have an obligation to retreat if he or she “reasonably” believes his or her life is at stake, even if there is no actual threat. (The “Stand Your Ground” law was not specifically invoked at either trial, but the Florida self-defense statute, complete with that language, was read to the jury.)

Above quote from a very good article that clearly explains the problems with the language of the law and Florida's self-defense especially when it intersects with today's racism... Everything hangs on what the shooter thinks is 'reasonable'. A person who thinks African American kids are dangerous 'thugs' thinks it is 'reasonable' to shoot them, so they are not convicted of murder, even if the African American kid is unarmed and the shooter's life was not in danger.

The article is a very easy read and makes the point well, I think...

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/susan-milligan/2014/02/19/michael-dunn-george-zimmerman-and-the-cult-of-stand-your-ground-laws

ETA Oops I got a blog mixed up with my article. Still the blog makes the point...

Below is the good the good article:

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/2/17/dunn-trial-blamethelawnotthejuryexpertssay.html

• designs
    designs

lisa- That Law is stunning isn't it.

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

I could have sworn that I posted a reply on this thread, late last night...

Anyway, it's good to see all of this get a good airing. How else will one know which way the wind blows?

• DJS
    DJS

Did you all see the news item stating the ex-cop angry old white man,who shot and killed the young father because he was texting, was also texting right before the shooting? What a piece of work. I know lots of cops and ex-cops. Most of them are great guys drawn to law enforcement to serve and help, but some of them, because of their personality traits, are drawn to law ENFORCEMENT because they get pleasure enforcing their will on others. Seems this old guy suffered from angry old white guy syndrome and the desire to impose his will on others. I suppose his own hyprocrisy is lost on him. Maybe he will find it in prison.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit