22 questions from creationists to evolutionists, taken from the Nye/Ham debate

by adamah 44 Replies latest social current

• adamah
    adamah

Pelican beach said-

There was "something" at the beginning. Did that "something" exist in an eternal state? If so, then eternal states are possible. If not, then how did that "something" come to be?"

Did you skip over my post, PB? You're not just "choosing to not address it", are you?

At any rate, there's a WORLD of difference between "a low energy, quantum vacuum" existing in an eternal state (esp when it can fluctuate), and an omniscient, omnipotent Being who wasn't even made, but has existed in that perfect state for an eternity. You do recognize that, right?

So which is is more reasonable (or likely/probable) in your mind:

A perfect and all-powerful (yet quite undetectable) being existing quite contrary to the known laws of physics who has a Master Plan (Divine Will), or a 'quantum vacuum' which not only lacks omniscience, it doesn't even possess the complexity required to support consciousness?

• PelicanBeach
    PelicanBeach

Adam,

My posts on this thread were not about God, did you notice? And yes, I can choose to answer whom I will and what I will.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

How does matter arise from nothing?

Even thought the answer from physicists may not be complete and may not be agreed upon, there are people looking into such matters with all seriousness in order to understand the universe.

To say "God did it" and that is the end of the matter, well that still begs the question, "How did God come about?" It's no different from saying the earth is on the back of a turtle. "Where did the turtle come from? What is the turtle standing on?" You are only adding another layer of unknown beyond what the physicists are trying to answer when you insert "God did it." So that is worse.

• cofty
    cofty

I believe you know exactly what I'm getting at but you choose to not address it.

No I never duck questions. You twice repeated a specific and vague question " Do you believe in eternal states? " without explaining what you meant. It is entirely reasonable to ask for some clarity.

There was "something" at the beginning

No there wasn't. Read the book and I will read my copy and then we can discuss it.

• PelicanBeach
    PelicanBeach

OnTheWayOut,

The topic is the Big Bang. But atheists seem to have a problem discussing it without bringing God into the picture. Why?

• cofty
    cofty

The topic is the Big Bang

No it isn't. The big bang theory is wonderful in its explanatory power. It is a fact, a beautifully simple one.

You are asking about before the big bang. Its a question for cosmology or theoretical physics. We are not going to solve it here.

The answer won't involve theology.

• adamah
    adamah

PB said- My posts on this thread were not about God, did you notice? And yes, I can choose to answer whom I will and what I will.

Fine, but I wouldn't be accusing others of avoidance, when you clearly aren't looking for answers to your questions, but only what you want to hear.

It's your right to believe whatever you want: you can be as irrational as you like, and the only person you have to try and fool is the guy looking back at you in the mirror (which IS possible, eg many self-identify as rationalists, when there's little evidence of it on display).

• PelicanBeach
    PelicanBeach

Cofty,

"Read the book and I will read my copy and then we can discuss it."

I await your summary, friend. If after reading his book, you state you agree with Krauss I will purchase a copy. Until then I await your thoughts.

• cofty
    cofty

Don't be so lazy. Do your own reading.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

You are asking about before the big bang. Its a question for cosmology or theoretical physics. We are not going to solve it here. - COFTY

Shit.

And all this time I thought we were going to solve it here.

Damn.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit