Has the Governing Body Become More or Less Authoritarian in Recent Years?

by cofty 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• adamah
    adamah

Shirley said-

"...Brother Russell wrote, in 1896: "As we have been to some extent, by the grace of God, used in the ministry of the gospel, it may not be out of place to say here what we have frequently said in private, and previously in these columns,—namely, that while we appreciate the love, sympathy, confidence and fellowship of fellow-servants and of the entire household of faith, we want no homage, no reverence, for ourselves or our writings..."

So which is it?

Is CT Russell to be denounced as an egomanical leader of the WTBTS (as found in many other threads on JWN), or is he the gentle and kind soul who humbly founded a group of meek Christians, demonstrating how evul and authoritarian the current GB is? As Metatron pointed out, shunning was just as utilized in Rutherford's day as ever (although not as explicitly defined).

Like I said before, it's not whatever happy clap-trap they WRITE for public consumption in the mags that matters (such passages are subjective, thanks to WT's consistent use of weasel words), but what choices the policies permit or prohibit the members to make (which in order to provide direction by elders, MUST be written in a more-objective manner, as unambiguously as possible).

Policies talk, and WT/Awake fluff BS walks.

That said, your example shows the pit-fall of cherry-picking excerpts from the WT pubs, using an example you provided as a comparison demonstrates: they have to be similar topics.

(Watchtower April 1, 1920, pp.100-101)

"We would not refuse to treat one as a brother because he did not believe the Society is the Lord's channel. If others see it in a different way, that is their privilege. There should be full liberty of conscience.".

That excerpt proves only the WTBTS has been masters of writing deceptively for almost a century now, and are able to masterfully use 'weasel words'.

The first sentence says if a brother doesn't believe the WTBTS is the true religion (i.e. Lord's channel), there is no congregational-wide mandate (or announcement) to shun him. HOWEVER, the next sentence says if others DO decide to shun him, that is their privilege, since there SHOULD be liberty of conscience.

Note the weasel word 'should': it's NOT an imperative (like the word MUST would be) but merely a suggestion, a desirable outcome or goal to shoot for, but not required to attain. So it allows for the possibility of failing to meet the goal, and still attaining a satisfactory result: it's a 'weasel word', and lets the WTBTS off the hook if full unrestricted liberty of conscience is not guaranteed for all.

Of course, the catch-22 (which they fail to mention) is that while someone may decide NOT to shun anyone who doesn't believe the JWs are not the true religion, all the OTHERS members of the congregation in turn ALSO have the privilege to sever THEIR relationship with the person who refuses to shun the other, by exercising their 'liberty of conscience' to shun the person who refuses to shun the other.

It's the same ol' game, only an early version of it, since the shunning policy was officially defined as a practice later (in 1952).

In fact, your excerpt seems to be the inspiration for another recent use of the same weasel-worditry, found in the Awake! July, 2009 article entitled "Is it wrong to leave your religion?":

Although the Bible makes a clear distinction between true and false teachings, God allows each person the freedom to choose how he or she will respond. (Deuteronomy 30:19, 20) No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds unacceptable or be made to choose between his beliefs and his family.

The phrase "freedom to choose" implies the decision to abandon "true teachings" WILL have consequences, but God allows each person to "pick their poison".

Also note the presence of the same weasel-word (should), and the unstated message that every JW knows is implied:

while the PERSON isn't forced to choose between the WTBTS and their family, his FAMILY enjoys the right to shun HIM for HIS decision.

IN other words, DFed individuals are not forced to choose to shun their JW families, since their family will likely shun them (or in turn risk being DFed for not playing the shun game).

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Who really is put in the position as being the slave , the Watchtower leaders or the R&F members of the JWS ?

• cofty
    cofty

Like I said before, it's not whatever happy clap-trap they WRITE for public consumption in the mags that matters

That's right. The only way to judge whether they have actually become more authoritarian is to live as a JW for decades.

Whan you do that, the answer is obvious.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Adam---

You lost all credibility (if you has any to begin with) when you made it crystal clear you play dumb just to pick fights and keep them going. You are so self-contradictory it's dizzying, and, coupled with your constant disingenous flip flopping, anything you say is just so much bovine residue. I've scraped you from my shoes and have moved on. You have provided me with many hours of laughter, however, so I thank you for that.

Post your long-winded nonsensical diatribes if it makes you feel better, but I won't read them.

• cofty
    cofty

Its a personality type that will argue either side of an argument - without even admitting they are playing Devil's advocate - just for the sake of being disruptive and pontificating in public.

• committeechairman
    committeechairman

To answer the original question - my impression is that we've come almost full circle from the way the organization operated in the 60s.

Consider: in the 40s-mid 70s basically you heard about the President of the Society and that the "Society says". Some old-timers still use that terminology, although it is frowned on. Very directive and there was a visible single person who was in the lead for the organization. Basically, his word was law. You still had some "in the blind" kind of direction going on in that branch office letters and even phone calls many times involved not having a name associated with it - only a desk or desk symbol. The authors were not allowed to sign their name much like the authors of literature and magazine articles are not published. It was just "The Society Says".

Then, this transitioned to a Governing Body and the Faithful and Discreet Slave, which diffused the powerbase. The President of the Society became less prominent and the power structure became more obfuscated. Finally the officers of the Society and the other corporations really just became figureheads that were signing off on corporate paperwork, checks, contracts, etc. So then everything was from "the slave" - totally diffused/obfuscated. Direction from "the slave" was more even-handed and balanced (but not completely - still lots of old school quirks - fiery attacks on new technology, etc).

Then in the 2001 and on timeframe, slowly you began to see a huge distinction made in the literature about "the anointed" and all the class distinctions between them and the "other sheep" - so many that it became pretty uncomfortable. Emphasis on the mediator for the "little flock" only - etc. Lots of mentions of the Governing Body and direction from the branch office. Guidelines because more sharp and dogmatic. Lots of double-talk such as "disfellowshipping does not remove blood ties" but "only necessary business with disfellowshipped relatives" and the definition of "necessary business" varyied widely from "it is up to you" to "don't even talk with them about someone else in the family dying" and lots of emphasis on applying the principle in 1 John about "not even eating with such a man" to family so that no association was possible. This direction is so extreme that I expect any time to see an adjustment that allows disfellowshipping of relatives who associate with disfellowshipped relatives. Like, I expect that any second now.

This change in tone got louder and louder and more sharp until finally we got the GB=FDS. Now, eight men have taken the place of the old "Society President." This is a huge, huge mistake in my opinion. Now the direction, especially to elders, is orders of magnitude more prescriptive and very very dogmatic. It is very easy to get removed now. Lots of disqualifiers and triggers for the body to review your qualifiations per policy (they don't have a choice, for instance, if you declare bankruptcy - this autmatically requires a review of your qualifications). Not much latitude locally about key issues. The only teaching part left in the congregation is the monthly "local needs" and now the branch offices have started to tag on to BOE letters instructions to cover part of the letter in local needs parts. This is going on to the point that the local bodies of elders might have to wait two or three months or more before they can schedule a local needs part for needs that they have locally.

Once again sorry for the long post but I'm personally really uncomfortable with the place we're in now. I'm happy that we're embracing technology and expanding the ways to do the ministry (I still think we need actual radio/TV/Internet broadcasting - not just the material on jw.org) but I'd like to see us abandon house to house ministry altogether. I don't think this is sustainable. We need to turn our attention (especially elders) to shepherding 100% of the time and helping people with their load - encouraging and refreshing them. I think people will continue to leave in great numbers unless there is a drastic swing back to center where the Governing Body, Branch Committees, Traveling Overseers, and the elders are Christlike in their reasoning and not the master's over their brother's faith. At the risk of really causing trouble I see a pattern developing similar to what was going on with the Jewish religious leaders in the first century and their hundreds of rules and tradition. Jesus made it clear how he viewed this over-the-top approach - it was wicked. The friends will eventually give out under this load unless either Jehovah's Witnesses proper or some other group for association offers an alternative that refreshes and relives the honest hearted ones and lets them focus on praying for and being influenced by God's holy spirit.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

CC: At the risk of really causing trouble I see a pattern developing similar to what was going on with the Jewish religious leaders in the first century and their hundreds of rules and tradition. Jesus made it clear how he viewed this over-the-top approach - it was wicked.

They are already there and have been for quite some time. The current GB makes the Pharisees look like amateurs.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

CC: "Now, eight men have taken the place of the old "Society President."

To some individuals this signifies a "less authoritarian" WT. Still waiting for an answer from said individuals as to how amplifying one dictator into eight dictators constitutes a mitigation of tyranny when the underlying structure, and the effect it has on 8 million JWs, remains unchanged.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Now the GB actually tries to control how you think. The internet videos for kids stress obey obey obey. The WT stresses obey even if you don't understand. The rigidity has increased markedly. Where as before things were conscience decisions, now the pants you wear are homophobically lampooned by the GB. The apostates and those who speculate are railed against in every WT. It's scary in JW land now. Much worse than when I grew up in it.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

More or less.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit