Has the Governing Body Become More or Less Authoritarian in Recent Years?

by cofty 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• franticfran
    franticfran

The "governing body" are much more controlling than ever before and this has filtered down to the elders and to many within the congregation,I think thats why the Tuesday group was stopped because people could meet in a private home and discuss bible topics freely and there was no "editorial" control whereas in the hall the elders and their "servants" could control what was being said and by whom. I stopped hearing "the bible says" and started hearing ( in that irritating sing song voice) "the society says" ugh!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Several comments have been made in this thread in reference to some of the recent changes to a few of the rules by which Jehovah's Witnesses must live their lives in unquestioning compliance. The assertion has been made that these rules are a relaxing of previous restrictions. The suggestion has been made that this somehow indicates a relaxing or loosening or lessening of the authority which the Governing Body (GB) holds over the Rank and File (R&F) members of the religion. This is not true.

If a person in authority changes the rules that those under their control must unquestioningly obey, there has still been no change in their respective relationship. It is the nature of their relationship which is the point and not the details of the rules. Any aspect of the change in the rules is really irrelevant, even if they seem to allow the R&F more latitude or discretion in decision making. Why?

Because of this simple fact: the authority figure still controls the choices and they still have the power to enforce the consequences of any disobedience in following the rules.

I recently bought a new collar for my dog. She was very excited to get it and have me put it on. Why? I'm sure it was because she knew that meant that we were going for our daily walk, something she looks forward to with great eagerness. So she got a new pretty collar. We are still both on the same ends of the leash as before.

As dogs are known to do, she likes to smell the markings left by all the other neighborhood dogs as they take their walks. Occasionally, she will linger longer than I like at some particular point. Call me impatient, I don't care. I tug on the leash to get her attention and off we go, continuing on our way.

When the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses change some rules or doctrines or whatever, they are actually reasserting their power over the Rank and File members of the religion. In a very tangible way, it is a reminder that it is they that are in control.

• At that time, the life-saving direction that we receive from Jehovah’s organization may not appear practical from a human standpoint. All of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether these appear sound from a strategic or human standpoint or not. - WT Study Edition, November 15, 2014, p. 20, paragraph 17

The "simplified" edition words it somewhat more strongly:

• "But all of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether we agree with them or not ... ."

Do not be misled by any sentimental notion of a kinder, gentler Governing Body. That's nonsense.

When the GB makes any changes, they are in fact affirming their authority, confirming their control.

It's a tug on the leash.

Choke chain

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

exactly, Oubliette. Very good points.

No names mentioned (but pay attention "Adamah") simply changing where and how authority is exerted does not change the fact that authority is being exerted, and a JW must comply or face expulsion.

--

By the reasoning of some individuals, if a ruling authority penalized a person for violating a law by cutting off their right hand, then switched and said they'd no longer cut off your right hand, but they will cut off your left hand, that is not a "loosening" of authority. The penalty is just as harsh, the authority just as strong. They've simply changed (marginally, but no real change) how they've chosen to exert their authority.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Great point! WOW! Imagine the deluded mind that believes lifting a restriction that was never authorized, is somehow acting in a less authoritarian manner!

DD

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

ADCMS: Simply changing where and how authority is exerted does not change the fact that authority is being exerted, and a JW must comply or face expulsion.

Nice summary. I'm glad you appreciated my analysis!

Data-dog: Imagine the deluded mind that believes lifting a restriction that was never authorized, is somehow acting in a less authoritarian manner!

Exactly! It's strange how hard it is for some of us to see the real issues. Of course, our indoctrination as JWs actually trained us to be blind to these types of contradictions. But even those never JWs can be fooled. This is why I have become such a big proponent of the importance of developing critical thinking skills.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

You demonstrate those skills on a regular basis. I really appreciate what you contribute to JWN.

DD

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Has the Governing Body Become More or Less Authoritarian in Recent Years?

.........................................................................Do You Like My New Shoes?!..

.............................................................................................LOL!!..

.............................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

That dog collar is making me ill.

• WhoYourDaddy
    WhoYourDaddy

Ambient abuse, Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• RottenRiley
    RottenRiley

"More.

The constant clamor for blind obedience, no independent thought, no questioning, do as you're told. Be a good little slave-give us your time and money. The GB has elevated itself above all JWs while marginalizing the anointed into the "mentally unbalanced" category- unimportant, non-essential...has-beens."

DontCallMeShirley

What a great post you, Finkel, and other Witnesses of fame made on this topic! Remember the old old Wendy's Commericals "Where's the Beef(LOVE?)?", how often was true love displayed to our Group?

I would like to know why six proactice anti-Watchtower men have left my former Kingdom Hall, we had the Rededication and I ask myself, why do we need more hoopla for a remodel when we can act like the charitiable First Century Christians The Governing Body, if only they offered up true love, compassionate qualites along with loving concern over all the marginalized, why can't they try to pretend they are Christian?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit