Has anyone used this question on a JW? How might they respond?

by BU2B 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

Good approach!

Questions always make people think, and that is exacly what JW:s are not supposed to do.

Bugbear

• metatron
    metatron

It depends on whether or not a tiny crack of doubt or reason still exists in your mate. Sounds good otherwise.

metatron

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi BU2B, Depending on how "Spiritually Strong" (non-thinking) your wife is, asking simple questions like yours or poppers' question is better than telling a JW about TTATT. If your wife is very "Spiritually Strong" (non-thinking), you should read the thread exJW Psychology 102--How to Ask a Question When Questions Aren't Allowed by Billy the Ex-Bethelite to rephrase your question.

I like poppers question because it might help you identify what bothers your wife's authentic persona the most about the WTBTS. The more you can help your wife's authentic persona overcome her cult persona the better.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

We were in the bible section at a bookstore and an NIV bible had footnotes. My wife asked me "how do you know they get this information from reputable sources?" I looked at her a little bewildered, and responded, "how do you know the Society does?" Getting them to *think* is REALLY hard.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

They think changes are the light getting brighter. I tried suggesting to my I wife that they would change the generation from a timeless group of people that see the composite sign to "the anointed" when I knew it was coming. She wouldn't even engage the discussion.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I know that I got in trouble a few years ago for saying that it didn't make sense that ALL of the Anointed were part of the FDS since there was no mechanism for them to have any part in the preparation and/or dissemination of the "spiritual food."

I was accused of promoting .... [wait for it] ... "apostate thinking."

How ironic that my "apostate" idea is now the official "New Light" understanding of the FDS doctrine.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Dear Oub, when you have been in as long as I was, and I was a little bit of a thinker, there were loads of occasions when similar things happened to me.

Really funny some of them, I was "pulled up" by Elders, even made , at the time, to look silly, and yet within a very short time, my "Apostate thinking" became "Holy Writ".

Why T.F. did I not wake up, FFS, I knew more than the FDS !!! What a numb-nuts I was.

Back on Topic, Poopers, sorry, that really was a Typo ! Poppers, suggestion is BRILLIANT I don't see how even a real Uber Dub could object to the question, they have changed their mind on things, sorry, got "Noo Lite" about every six months recently.

All you guys who are still talking to active JW's, ASK F Chri' sakes !

please let us know how you get on !

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Neverknew: I got the "but we're the only ones who preach" argument which I countered with the Pentacostal growth.

The JW's do not have exclusive rights on spreading the gospel of Christ to the ends of the world. They are not the only ones preaching... they are the only ones who make that claim, and repeat it to each other at every meeting.

One of my close friends is a missionary in Papua New Guinea. Our small church supports missionaries in Brazil, Guatemala, India and other countries, including an outreach to the Jews in Israel.

The JW's are the only religion that REQUIRES everyone to go door-to-door, whether this is their talent or not. They are not allowed to use the talents given to them, but are supposed to force themselves into a mold that may not fit their personality or skills. They are not the only ones who preach.

You could also counter with a question about how fruitful their preaching work is. "How many people have been baptized into your congregation, as a result of your preaching work? (not counting born-ins or other family members). In how many years?"

You will know them by their fruits. Shunning. Child abuse scandals.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

J.W's do not preach the Good News.They preach that you need to belong to their club, which is in direct contradiction of what the Bible says.

They do not baptise in the Name of the Father , and the Son and the Holy Spirit, they baptise in to an Organization.

How is this carrying out anything Jesus commanded, or fulfilling any kind of prophecy ?

Pathetic.

• Terry
    Terry

If it isn't true (so as to be something still to be taught and believed) WAS it ever?

If it wasn't EVER true, does calling it Old Light mean anything different from calling it False Teaching?

If it is now false teaching, why the hell would the Watch Tower Society THINK it was worth teaching in the first place?

Was Jehovah really NOT giving it to them?

If Jehovah's wasn't--WHO the hell was?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit