Has anyone used this question on a JW? How might they respond?

by BU2B 20 Replies latest jw friends

• BU2B
    BU2B

As I was laying in bed I thought of a question to ask my wife. it would go something like this. "when the WT has an article on the next change in teaching or new light, just guessing, what do you think it might be?"

it does not need to be phrased just like that, but I thought it might be a powerful question since it would make the JW subconsciousLy question all of the current teachings, something they are NOT taught to do. has anyone asked a similar question to a JW? Is this a good idea? Might it work somewhat to make them think for themselves?

• adamah
    adamah

If they know their own teachings, they'd say such questions are idle speculation, discouraged by the Borg; they cannot entertain such thoughts or they risk getting ahead of Jehovah's chariot.

• RunAsFastAsYouCan
    RunAsFastAsYouCan

Stop beating around the bush. Life is too short. If you can't be honest with your spouse you can't be honest with anyone.

Best,

• poppers
    poppers

How about asking, "What would you like the next new light to be?" What sort of reaction would that trigger?

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

I like the approach and don't consider it beating around the bush at all. At a minimum that type of question will plant a seed that could sprout anywhere.

Waking up a JW is not a one day effort. If she (anyone) dismisses the question as trying to run ahead of the org, give it just one more try and then drop it. Follow up with...well you know the organization is moving forward and has to change as world events unfold, I was just wondering if you get a sense for anything that might soon change. Don't attack, just ask.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

In the past, I've talked to my friends about how it appears the WTS unapologetically and inexplicably changes doctrines and definitions.

A couple of weeks ago, and thanks to another poster, I was able to show an article from 1942 where the WTS declared that the shepherds and dukes were the annointed and Jesus. That week, the presentation was on the shepherds and dukes being the elders. Yesterday, I wondered out loud how it must feel to be trapped on unstable ground with the WTS. In churches, I explained, core doctrines change very rarely. If you don't agree with the core doctrine, you switch to a church that more closely aligns with your own "new light."

I got the "but we're the only ones who preach" argument which I countered with the Pentacostal growth.

I guess you have to be careful about spitting contests. There's a war to be won.

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

I asked my brother, who is still in, "Are you saying that their will not change any doctrines from this point onward?" He replied," No,.. You know we can't say that will never happen" I then replied " So your admitting that some of the things that you believe now, could be wrong,.. some of those things you base your life and the life of your children on" I hope that this would stick in his head and simmer a bit.

NJY

• RunAsFastAsYouCan
    RunAsFastAsYouCan

You can't change these people. "Your mind is like a parachute. It only works if it is open."

-Poster in my living room.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

NJY... I've asked how honorable it is for EVERYone to be wrong, in unity.

I didn't get a clear answer.

• steve2
    steve2

Answer to your quesion: "A man hears what he wants to hear - and disregards the rest" (Paul Simon). Besides, people talk themselves into the most ridiculous cul-de-sacs because they believe they have no where else viable to go - it short-circuits rational thinking. As people spin their stories, yes, they grow into believing them and cannot conceive how it could be any other way. For example, the concept of "over-lapping generations" has now entered the language of the "truth", among the Witnesses, subverting all previous "truths". Religious "truth" has always been "above" reasoning and is as malleable as circumstanes require. It is much too sacred for mere human concerns and reasoning.That is why reputedly normal people leave these matters in the hands of their "God" appointed leaders. In that regard, there is no difference between the Witnesses, Protestants and Catholics, among many, many, many others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit