What allows parents to shun their children ?

by man in black 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• man in black
    man in black

My son, went to college and got his Bachelors degree. He started his own anmation company about two years ago, and it really has taken off.

While my wife and I were witnesses, we both received grief about allowing our son to go to college, but we stood up for him and backed his decision to attend 110%.

Anyway, this past week he finally closed on a very nice, neat condiminium .

And while he is getting ready to move out on his own, I have quite a few feelings of sadness,as a parent, seeing him move on is kinda rough, but realizing that this is a very good thing for him makes it easier. he will only be about 7 miles away. (

Don't worry,,We're not those "velcro parents" at all. Just seeing someone that we raised move on like this is really different.

I was doing alot of thinking these past few days, and I just cannot wrap my mind around the witness thinking. (We da'ed ourselves eight years ago).

Actually leaving your children totally because they do not believe the parents religion,,,,

My son is moving out, and it is hard . But actually walking away like many jw parents do,, well I would no doubt have problems that would make me leave the religion, and no doubt become a heavy drinker or something along those lines.

I knew quite a few witness parents who wore like a badge their great skill in neglecting their kids totally as the shunning doctine states. Sometimes I would be in awe because of the parents "great faith", but now I cannt even begin to comprehend how someone could just leave their chldren/relatives because of a religion.

What is it that mentally allows witness to completly leave their children ?

• Ding
    Ding

They convince themselves that it's really the most loving thing they can do... perhaps bringing their children to their senses, back to Jehovah, etc.

They also see it as proving their own loyalty and endurance to Jehovah, which they think is the purpose of life .

• RottenRiley
    RottenRiley

A corrupted version of Religion. Religion is made for the comsumption of mankind, it has nothing to do with worshiping God. Think about who benefits when the Speaker says "Because of my love of Jehovah, I will spend 60 worthless hours driving around!" while the JWs slap their hands in loud happiness!

Did God love that or did the Kingdum Hall enjoy hearing all their members would spend 20 hours pushing "Honey Carts" around in circles? God don't enjoy this, it's forumulated for men's approval, nothing good to say about a religion that promotes a fatalistic and Doomsday outlook.

So, to answer your question, a really shitty Religion promotes shunning your children. God told everyone, " I don't want your religion, I want you to show loving qualites like Jesus Christ demonstated" I am compounding various text to prove their religion is worthless. El Guapo's post about not his visit with the COBE and CO are what JWism is all about, All talk and no action!

Key Bible Phrases "When you gather together at your Sabbath Buildings (Kingdom Halls), I close my eyes and plug my ears" Isaiah 50s "When you sacrifice you time and money, it's in vane because you afflict the widows and orphans and slap your parents in the face". The God of the Bible is not behind them, it's born out of some wicked man's heart!

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

It's hard to fathom just how they can completely shut the kids off.

Even harder to believe that they can do the mental and emotional gymnastics that let them continue to believe that they are showing the kind of love that is the identifying mark of the 'True Religion'.

-Aude.

PS: Although it's tough to see him/them leave, congrats on creating an environment that allowed your child to grow to the person he needs to be. It's a great gift to him (and to those in his life).

• smiddy
    smiddy

How does the parable of the prodigal son relate to a person shunning a member of their own family ? Just asking .

smiddy

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

In my case it is a sick twist of arrogance and shame. My jw mother cannot fathom being wrong about the Watchtower cult, (or anything else for that matter). And shunning her children makes it easier for her to avoid facing the terrible things she did and permitted to be done to her children.

• ammo
    ammo

Man in Black, what a loving thoughtful dad/parents you both are, you've given your child the best gift of all... unconditional love.

Ditto Jamiebowers, its been 2 years since I even heard from my mum,on an off over 20 years, all because of the rules its not love its very cruel.

There's a petition on Change.org in regard to jw's and shunning, launching an investigation into it, and the effects on people, its up to 2,500 signatures now if anyone wants to add to it.

don't know how to paste copy etc

• happy@last
    happy@last

It is selfishness, thinking more of themselves than their children in my opinion.

• happy@last
    happy@last

Congratulations to your son by the way!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The same mentality as allows a follower of Islam to let their child become a Suicide Bomber.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit