What other religious groups are ...

by EdenOne 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

I was in similar shoes as you about one year ago. I mentioned listening as his cd's are easy listening and he just stays so calm. His website has a great reading list, IMHO. I wish you all the best in your search. For me, the more I read the more questions I had. I'm taking my time on Dawkins, Hitchens (Mortality, I consider a must read) and Harris.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Sure, Adamah, whatever floats your boat.

Eden

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Thank you, GS.

Although "feel-good" christianity isn't really what I'm looking into.

Eden

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

??? None of those guys promote feel-good Christianity in any way.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Sorry, GS, I mistook him for another preacher on the line of the "prosperity gospel". I apologize.

"The End of Faith" et al... ok I get it. Thank you

Eden

Edit: Carl Harris was the one I had in mind.

• pacloc
    pacloc

I have the same experience of being born and baptized Catholic, then raised a JW since about age 5 until about 2 years ago at age 28. I looked through all the non trinitarian church's, mainly Christadelphians, and Church of God types. I concluded there was no organized religion, but it was to be kept alive in small comunities. Eventually I had the common sense to research what has been taught for the 2,000 years since Christ, and realized I needed to go back to my Catholic faith. It has been beautiful ever since. My wife and I received our other sacraments last June. The Catholic faith is nothing that JW say it is and is nothing that most relatives and friends that I thought represented the faith demonstrated to me. There are answers to the most basic questions raised against the Church that date back 1700 years or more.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Eden

Try

http://www.biblestudents.com/

or better still my church away from home attended by James Penton author of Apocalypse Delayed

http://www.bbschurch.org/index.php

• barry
    barry

A former Adventist I would like to point out a few inaccuracies I have read about their beliefs and practices.

One of the links given here says Adventists don't believe in a fiery hell. The statement is incorrect in that Adventists do believe in a fiery hell but do not believe in an eternal fiery hell.

'SDAs believe they are the only true religion't I think many christians believe their church is the closest to the bible and so do SDAs but SDAs still believe that the church is invisible and is made up of all those who trust in the merits of christ.

One site said SDAs don't go to war. There are at least 3 opinions on this one 1 some are conciencious objectors and don't have any part in war., the second opinion being non combatancy stand where a person will support the military but wil not carry a weapon such as hospital work and teh third position is the acceptance of a full combatant role. The church accepts all three positions.

A well known chaplain SDA is Barry Black chaplain of the US senate and was formally a chaplain and rear Admiral in the US armed forces.

• barry
    barry

Barry Black a well known SDA.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsQH1rUpWqk

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I floundered around like a fish out of water when I first left. I eventually came to realise that I was looking at the whole issue of belief through the wrong end of the telescope, and the WT had smudged the lenses on the 'scope too !

The first thing to do is to get rid of any pre-conceived ideas, whatever the source of those ideas, and start with a clean sheet.

A good question to put at the top of the blank sheet is : " What is belief , and should I not start by questioning the nature of belief?" (two questions really).

If for you, belief is trusting that something is true without proof, then read no further in this post. If that position makes you a happy, contented, fulfilled person, then stick with it.

If though, like me, you feel that you were duped by the WT, and perhaps many others in life, because you did not look for the proof to prove that your trust, your belief, was justified and sensible, then perhaps you should do as I do.

If I am going to trust that something is true, I demand proof that a Jury of sceptical experts in the field would accept, that quality of proof is good enough for me.

Having that as a basis for research, the first thing to do is really examine if their is any proof for a Supreme Being.

If there is, please come back here and present it to me and Cofty and others, we will gratefully receive it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit