What other religious groups are ...

by EdenOne 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I still agree to many things, but I have a major disagreeance in matters that have to do with: hope of salvation; the nature of sin; strict creationism; organization.

What this says to me Soft Kitty, is that there are the remains of watchtower(R) programming still in your mind. That old familiar feeling is comforting.

I recon you will gradually draw away from your agreement with JW things as you research.

After all, the JWs and other cults have taken scripture way out of context, cherrypicked them and strung them together to suit their own doctrine. Anyone can do that!

It's a bit like cutting out featires from magazines from different faces. Put them together and although they are from different faces you make another face.........but it's not the real features in context...............this is watchtower(R) doctrine.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Indian Larry, about the "Living Hope International Ministries", whose link you have provided, they're interesting and their set of beliefs is remarkably identical to that of the JW's; however, this:

When Christ returns, he will rule over the entire earth with his throne located in Jerusalem.

Is sooo Rutherford/Russell pre-1925 belief. I don't find them to be all that different from the JW's. Apparently they don't engage in door-to-door evangelism.

Eden

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

yadda,

The cbsm website is very vague about their beliefs. I can't tell what exactly they stand for.

As for Anthony Buzzard's Restoration Fellowship, his belief in a literal, earthly millenium kingdom with a "full restoration of the earth" is something I currently struggle with. Still, interesting.

Eden

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

punkie,

there are the remains of watchtower(R) programming still in your mind. That old familiar feeling is comforting.

Of course there are. Why would that even surprise you? Yet, there are some fundamental questions that right now are digging a deeper trench between myself and the official doctrine of the Watchtower Society.

Eden

• adamah
    adamah

EdenOne, it sounds like you're in the market, shopping for a new religion that fits your thinking?

In the past, you relied on your 'horribly-flawed' moral compass to choose the JWs (and God didn't help you on THAT decision, despite prayers asking Him for direction on that decision), so why do you think you stand any better chance of picking the "right" religion now?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

SoftKittyWarmKittyLittleBallOfFur AKA Eden

Why would that even surprise you?

Nah, not surprised mi' ol' duck. Not surprised at all. I have had that too.

Yet, there are some fundamental questions that right now are digging a deeper trench between myself and the official doctrine of the Watchtower Society.

I am no longer a believer but when I was I used to listen to sermonaudio.comand pick a subject and listen. I truly enjoyed it and it really did change my ideas on a lot of scriptures too.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Adamah

EdenOne, it sounds like you're in the market, shopping for a new religion that fits your thinking? In the past, you relied on your 'horribly-flawed' moral compass to choose the JWs (and God didn't help you on THAT decision, despite prayers asking Him for direction on that decision), so why do you think you stand any better chance of picking the "right" religion now?

You assume so much, Adam. Too much, for an intelligent person.

I was raised a JW; there was no "moral compass" involved in choosing the JW's. Although I was baptized as a baby in the RCC, soon my mother began studying with a Witness neighbor who converted her, and thus I was raised a Witness since the age of 5. Not much room for personal decision there, is it? I was baptized as a teenager too. Again, not much room for choice or letting a fully developed, albeit 'horribly-flawed' 'moral compass' drive me.

Then, you also assume wrong that I am "shopping" for a new religion. Pick your guess as for what my reasons are. I won't waste time in arguing them with you.

Eden

• adamah
    adamah

EdenOne said- I was raised a JW; there was no "moral compass" involved in choosing the JW's. Although I was baptized as a baby in the RCC, soon my mother began studying with a Witness neighbor who converted her, and thus I was raised a Witness since the age of 5. Not much room for personal decision there, is it? I was baptized as a teenager too. Again, not much room for choice or letting a fully developed, albeit 'horribly-flawed' 'moral compass' drive me.

Yeah, I note the weasel words ("not much room"), which allows the possibility there was SOME 'room' to decide differently (AKA 'freedom of choice')?

EdenOne said-Then, you also assume wrong that I am "shopping" for a new religion. Pick your guess as for what my reasons are. I won't waste time in arguing them with you.

You deny you're "comparison-shopping"?

Call it what you want, but the process of comparing what these various religions offer, and rejecting the ones which don't fulfill your criteria, isn't shopping? If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, you can call it anything you want besides a duck, but the only you're deceiving is yourself.

Hey, it's no skin off anyone's else's back what EdenOne believes, since the person who should most care about what they believe is the 'intelligent' person themselves.

Nuff said, so carry on...

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Are you open to listening to Sam Harris, "Letter to a Christian Nation"?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Reading first, yes.

Eden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit