What other religious groups are ...

by EdenOne 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fernando
    Fernando

The apostate preoccupation with supremacist dissecting of (peripheral) doctrines, known as "ethnocentrism" was born at Nicaea and perpetuated by most religions including the Watchtower.

The end result is always a drawing away from the explicit and unabridged gospel.

This is exactly why WBTS followers call themselves "publishers of the Good News" whilst ignorant of the "Good News" according to Paul, Moses, Isaiah and Psalms.

As one old pyramidologist correctly observed:

"The endeavor to compel all men to think alike on all subjects, culminated in the great apostasy and the development of the great papal system, and thereby the gospel, the one faith that Paul and the other apostles set forth, was lost - buried under the mass of uninspired decrees of popes and councils. The unity of the early church, based upon the simple gospel and bound only by love, gave place to the bondage of the church of Rome ... Each new reform movement (like Protestantism) has made the failure of attempting to make a creed just large enough for its prime movers ." --WT, Sep. 1893, p. 1572

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Great post Fernando, I have been to a non denominational pentecostal church a couple of times what I liked about it was that they don't push a doctrine as if you must believe or were going to kick you out. I also liked that they focused on Jesus, of course they believe in the trinity but like fernando just posted they really focused on christ and they also do works for their community and also help to get other churches ot groups going evangelising. Something of course we have been told by the wt is never done by christadom.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Thank you Crazyguy.

Yup, it sure is refreshing when folk are able to hold (peripheral) doctrines lightly and not get preoccupied with them at the expense of the liberating and transformative gospel message (of grace, love and peace).

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

The Christadelphians believe that the Devil isn't real. That I cannot agree with.

Also:

Wiki - "Christadelphians do not believe that anyone will "go to Heaven" upon death. Instead, they believe that only Christ Jesus went to Heaven, and when he comes back to the earth there will be a resurrection and God's kingdom will be established on earth, starting in the land of Israel."

Can't agree with, either. That sounds a lot like pre-1925 christology of Rutherford.

Eden

• zakharijah
    zakharijah

What about them : http://www.kingdomherald.ro/

They're a romanian splinter group of the JW's. They use WT publications that were published before 1962 only.

Edit: here's another link http://the-true-jw.oltenia.ro/index.html

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

Eden One - Notice right above the quote you quoted on the wiki:

"Unitarian Christology can be divided according to whether Jesus is believed to have had a pre-human existence. Both forms maintain that God is one being and one "person"and that Jesus is the (or a) Son of God, but generally not God himself. [ 24 ]"

There is a split between Socinian and Arian Christology within the Church. The pastor at the one here in town teaches that Jesus existed before his birth(Arian). Some of the members hold the belief that he didn't. Both viewpoints are accepted within the church. It just depends on the pastor as to what's preached from the pulpit.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

wawym,

yes, i noticed they don't have a unified body of theology. I side with the Arian view, of course.

Eden

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I’ve been reading about the Seventh Day Adventists recently, as they have a free Android app that lets one download the books of Ellen G. White and other writings. (There’s also a JW app I’ve yet to check out, but I’ve downloaded it.) The nature of her visions is fascinating and she shares many doctrines with JWs as they relate to the trinity and the state of the dead. There also are some similarities in eschatology, though I find theirs substantially more imaginative than the JWs.

It’s amazing how exclusive these sects are to other religions, and White is emphatic in declaring that those who do not worship on the seventh day (Saturday) will be destroyed at Jesus’ coming. I’ve met many, many people in my life who are devout Christians and who genuinely love the Lord and who view his suffering and death on the cross as redemptive. I’ve also known many Jews who are devout in their religious views, and who are honorable, have virtue and integrity, but who have little or no knowledge of Jesus. But nothing can save them, in the end, because they don’t embrace a rejection of the trinity or who believe that the spirit of man is eternal.

The whole idea behind the actual Armageddon of the Bible isn’t that the Messiah is going to come and destroy the wicked, but that the Messiah is going to come and save his people. The great gentile force is going to come down on the holy city, only to be defeated by the Messiah. But when the remnant of Judah see the marks of the wounds in their Messiah’s hands and feet, the scriptures state that the nation will be converted in a day. Thus, in that day, they will be redeemed.

Keep in mind that this is the last great battle before the coming of the Lord. And while it involves the destruction of Israel’s enemies, its emphasis is on salvation of God’s wayward people. Its major points:

• The Lord will not let Israel pollute his holy name any more: and the heathen shall know that “I am the Lord, the Holy One in Israel.”
    • The house of Israel shall know that “I am the Lord their God from that day and forward.” This means no more backsliding.
    • The heathen shall know that the house of Israel went into captivity for their iniquity: because they trespassed against me, therefore hid I my face from them.
    • When the Lord has brought Judah again from the people, and gathered them out of their enemies’ lands, and am sanctified in them in the sight of many nations; then shall they know that “I am the Lord their God, which caused them to be led into captivity among the heathen.” In 1947, the nation of Israel was brought back into existence, and the Jews, since that time, have been returning to the land of their inheritance.
    • Neither will “I hide my face any more from them: for I have poured out my spirit upon the house of Israel.”

This is an astounding prophecy. First Judah, because it rejected the Lord their God, was given over to their enemies and allowed to fall by the sword. Then they were dispersed into all nations throughout the earth and the Lord hid his face from them and allowed them to be scourged. After Hitler and the Nazis had tried to destroy them, the Lord brought them again into the lands he gave their fathers. The gentile nations of the earth would gather against them one more time in the battle of Armageddon, but the Lord would destroy them and, in doing so, would be seen as Israel’s protector and would be glorified in the eyes of the heathen.

It’s almost entirely impossible to misinterpret these verses, but dang if the Jehovah’s Witnesses didn’t manage to do it!

My question then is why, if God’s purpose was to destroy all those who didn’t buy into all the doctrines of Adventism, did he come to save the Jews and to convert the heathen? True, he destroyed the Beast, Antichrist, Gog, whatever you wish to call him, but he had given him plenty of warnings through the various prophets.

In other words, this event has been prophesied by many prophets. As Joel Richardson writes:

In contrast to the popular Christian position, the Jewish rabbinic view identifies Gog as the final enemy of God’s people. Further, he and his armies are the same invaders described by all the other prophets. In Ezekiel, a Commentary Anthologized from Talmudic, Midrashic and Rabbinic Sources, we are told: “The final war when Gog will actually break into Jerusalem, is described in Zechariah 14. References to the wars of Gog and Magog abound in Scripture, overtly in the prophets … The longest, most detailed, and most specific accounts are contained in the books of Ezekiel, Zechariah, Joel, and Daniel.”[129] While the Jews refer to the final evil dictator as Gog, the New Testament calls him by such titles as the Antichrist (1 John 2:22), the son of destruction (2 Thessalonians 2:3), the lawless one (2 Thessalonians 2:8), the Beast (Revelation 11:7), and other titles. Likewise, in the Talmud, we read:

... “At the end, the very end of days, Gog and Magog and their armies shall go up against Jerusalem, but they shall fall by the hand of the King Messiah.” (Samon H. Levey, The Messiah; An Aramaic Interpretation: The Messianic Exegesis of the Targum (New York: Ktav Publishing House, 1974), 17–18.)

Richardson, Joel. Mideast Beast: The Scriptural Case for an Islamic Antichrist (p. 163). Joel Richardson. Kindle Edition.

The Lord stated that the sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath; yet the Seventh Day Adventists believe anyone who keeps not the sabbath is doomed to destruction, even those who love and serve him clean in conscience. The Jehovah's Witnesses believe all members of an apostate Christendom will be destroyed. After all, that's why they labor so much to bring them around. But this exclusivity (the same exclusivity that has the Messiah rescuing the Jews in the last days), I believe, is repugnant to the Lord, who regards us as his children.

I believe the doctrine of the sleeping dead is very weak indeed. In the late 1940s, the Dead Sea Scrolls and Nag Hammadi Christian library were discovered. Neither of these support the soul sleeping concept we should expect to see if it were, in fact, a viable doctrine. Also, Peter said, "For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead...." How can one preach to those who are sleeping? So you may want to investigate that one, as well as the interpretations to the eschatological writings above before including it in a list.

• Indian Larry
  • yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

There's an international group called Christian Bible Students who are very similar to the JW's minus all the weird, extreme stuff, and with the focus on Jesus not Jehovah. www.cbsm.org.au. On their website you may find links to other similar groups.

Sir Anthony Buzzard's Restoration Fellowship http://focusonthekingdom.org/about_anthony.html

Various small Yahwehist Christian groups.

The Quakers, kind of.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit