• blondie
    blondie

Hi Gumby...........

• bsmart
    bsmart

Gumby is back!!!!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

If you need a punishing God, the Baptist Church will sure give you one.

I worshipped at a Baptist church for 9 years after I left the Watchtower.

This explains a lot, Cofty. Wow. It gives me more insight into why you feel as you do now.

Join any group and you give away your intellectual freedom. That is a huge price to pay.

I don't agree. If you prefer intellectual freedom, try an Anglican, Episcopal or Universalist Unitarian church. You won't find a punishing god and your intelligence and unique spiritual journey will be respected. The Unitarian Church may be too broad for you, though.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Gumby, I answered your PM. Three times. Thank you for writing to me. I miss you terribly.

• cofty
    cofty

This explains a lot, Cofty. Wow. It gives me more insight into why you feel as you do now.

The Baptist church in the UK is very diffrent from the USA. Far more liberal but still biblical literalists.

• Laika
    Laika

Even UK baptists are generally YECs though right?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The Baptist church in the UK is very diffrent from the USA. Far more liberal but still biblical literalists.

I am mostly familiar with Southern and primitive Baptists here in the USA.

My brother, who is transgendered and now my sister, poor lady, she was a Baptist youth minister. Imagine how confused she is. She understands that what she is, well it's not sinful. She doesn't understand that being gay isn't sinful.

She actually was tolerated while she only cross dressed. Once she had her first surgery and hormonal treatment she was fired from a $70,000 a year job, where she had cross dressed for seven years. Her boss was a connection from her church. She was very, very competent in her field. Then the church really didn't shun her, but made it clear she was "sinful" and that she would be welcomed with open arms, because they loved her so much, if she decided to assign herself again as a man. It's like they love David, but are so held back by their dogma that they are confused what to do with Sarah.

So, Sarah doesn't attend church, but still believes and works for minimum wage at a lumber yard chain. She has learned that this company will not allow her to advance into management, even though she would kick @$$ at it, due to all of her background work experience. She thinks it is because she is a she now, but I don't know. She says none of the women head departments there, that they only supervise cashiers or customer service.

My mother brought us to the baptist church for a visit. We were a very ecumenical as a family. Mom, outspokenly, did not like the Baptist dogma and the way they wanted to save everyone. Not sure why she brought us. Later the local Baptist churches would come and try to bribe us kids to hop on their sunday busses. I found that revolting. I went to church with my friend, when we were 13 and I cringed as people did their testimonies or went up to be saved. It was so very different from our church, which was the Episcopal, Anglican, Church. Our church didn't try to save people, comandeer children with promises of candy and prizes, ever mention hellfire or being saved. They had their beautiful ritual, but in practice openly discussed the difference between ancient doctrine and the unique spiritual journeys that all people were on and that God's love was for all of his children. God was never used to scare or shame us. My parents never used God to try to scare or shame us. The baptist religion was the polar opposite.

Neither of my parents was a fundamentalist. I've observed that people sometimes feel uncomfortable without high control, so they will gravitate to a fundamentalist church or religion like fundamentalist Islam. They need clear boundaries and don't like it if it is left to them personally to figure out the boundaries. One reason the Anglican church doesn't grow a lot is because they don't brow beat people into compliance or tell them what to do, unless it is to be better, less judgmental people.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Hi FlyingHigh. thanks for your input. Nah, don't want a punishing god. I like the "Sister Act" type of religion. Something happy and fun. I HATE being told what to do and am the sort of person who will do exactly the opposite just because of the principle. Elders = Control Freaks.

I really enjoy singing and like the idea of "refreshments" after the religous stuff. Somewhere I can be myself but love god as well.

A tall order?

XX

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I really enjoy singing and like the idea of "refreshments" after the religous stuff. Somewhere I can be myself but love god as well.

A tall order?

No. Are you in the UK or America? Try Anglican or Episcopalian, very Catholic, without the control. Lots of celebrating.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

I'm in the UK.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit