What do Baptists believe?

by quellycatface 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I second Cofty's suggestions, especially if you can combine doing something you enjoy with an element of Volunteering, doing something for the group who are doing something for you.

In all my years as a JW I got more satisfaction and a spiritual "lift" from the non-JW voluntary work that I did. Now I am free of the cult I have more time to do this sort of thing, I certainly would not waste any more time on religion.

Get out there and help make the world a better place.

Often simply joining a non-religious group that is not very well supported will give them a boost, and you a start.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I enjoyed my time at the Baptist Church in my home town.

They believed in full water immersion.

Avoid alcohol.

Smoking is a bad life choice.

Other than that they were quite ok.

It's just god that's a turd.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'll challenge Cofty that religion is important, even from evolutionary terms, for the obvious evidence that it is so pervasive. Because of your background with the Witnesses, be alert for signs of control and feel feel to refuse any activity that makes you feel uncomfortable.

There's lots of great information on this thread already about the baptists. This is one branch of Christianity that has fragmented many, many times though Cofty's list is accurate. To know in detail what this particular church believes, check out their website. Yes, they should have a website in this day and age. The reason they have children's programs and so on is because baptists take the great commission seriously (Witness disdain notwithstanding) and will have outreach programs in order to attract their "unsaved" neighbours.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Punkofnice, we have a massive problem.No alcohol.bye bye Baptists.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

QCF

Punkofnice, we have a massive problem.No alcohol.bye bye Baptists.

Quellz - The real problem is religion in itself

• clarity
    clarity

Quelly ... Baptists ...are just as cliquey,

just as "us & them", as JW's.

Found the service very hyperactive, very loud

new age music, & passing the rather large containers

for donations was a very dominant part of the service!

They called for volunteers to fill the many responsibilities

in running all the various programmes & lots of duties!

That part really surprised me, seemed way more,

at the congregational level, than the witnesses!

Finally the wine & bread really tastes awful...

maybe if they used the real stuff it would have been better!

Now ...when it comes to what they believe ...hmm,

some were extremely hellfire believers....others said

"no we don't really believe in hellfire!" ???

just sayin

clarity

• garyneal
    garyneal

Baptists are varied in their beliefs so it is difficult to nail down one particular set of doctrines. But, most baptist churches I attended believe in believer's baptism (that is only people who accept Christ can get baptized and not infant baptism), some believe in the gift of tongues but most do not, baptism by immersion as opposed to sprinkling, the Holy Trinity (though most cannot explain it), Sola Scriptura (the Bible as final authority), Sola Christus (Christ is the only way), Heaven, and Hell.

Beyond that, it tends to vary on other things. Some do not support women pastors while others do for example. The Independent Baptists and the Independent Fundamental Baptists tend to be downright wonky as they believe in a young earth (less than 10,000 years old), the KJV as the only correct translation, and favor a very 19th century type "Little House on the Prarie" type of lifestyle.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Quelly, browse the Mystery Worshipper entries on: http://www.ship-of-fools.com/ You might just find a family-friendly denomination - with alcohol - that you like. How about the United Church?

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

I was raised in a Southern Baptist Church in Texas in the 1950s and 1960s. I have absolutely no use for Baptist churches. Aside from other nutty beliefs, they are rabidly anti-gay and do not support marriage equality. Run, don't walk, away from any Baptist church!!!

• gumby
    gumby

If Jesus was going to come down to earth for a brief visit, which church would he think was the right one for him?

Whenever a religion/ church becomes" organised", your going to have rules, dogmas, splits, and confusion. If your really wanting to pursue the christian route, find a small group that meets in a home with no leader. That's how the "bible students" started out except they had a leader... C.T. Russell.

Once you have a leader you will be right back to what you are now leaving......an Organisation.

Father and most right reverend Gumgod

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit