What do Baptists believe?

by quellycatface 48 Replies latest jw friends

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

I'm thinking about going to Church again because I'm really interested in God (today)!!

Sometimes I'm so confused and feel like there is no god, other days I do and want to try and get to know him.

I guess I'm scared because of all the BS that went on in the KH.

There is a local Baptist church near me that seems nice. I'm in the UK. The kids go and do crafting, play games etc.....

I'm also curious what the minister talks about in his sermons.

Thank you Guys XX

• cofty
    cofty

I worshipped at a Baptist church for 9 years after I left the Watchtower.

Plenty of nice people but lots of crazy beliefs.

Inerrancy of the bible

Creationsim

Hellfire

Trinity

etc etc

Join any group and you give away your intellectual freedom. That is a huge price to pay.

Perhaps consider the challenge in the OP of this thread...

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

i think they believe you have to be baptised.

• blondie
    blondie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptists

Some churches are separate and independent of a national organization so it is good to examine each church.

The American Baptist Church, USA, has roughly 1.3 million members and was formerly known as the Northern Baptist Convention, which formed after the split with the Southern Baptists. A key distinctive of the American Baptists is the freedom of the individual churches to have differing beliefs. The denomination's unity is based on functional cooperation rather than doctrinal agreement. This practice led to a split in 1932, which resulted in the formation of the General Association of Regular Baptist Churches (GARBC). The GARBC holds a conservative doctrine and emphasizes evangelism and missionary work.

The name “Baptist” has come to mean many things to many people, and so can sometimes cause confusion. As with any other church, the name above the door isn't as important as what is taught within. As we examine any church, we would do well to follow the example of the Berean believers in Acts 17:11 , who “searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so” (KJV).
    Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/Baptists.html#ixzz2rDWFdggs

• Laika
    Laika

It's hard to say exactly what they will believe as their will be some variation between different Baptist churches, but I expect they'll generally hold to the Orthodox christian teachings you'd find in the nicene creed.

As you're in the UK an Alpha course might be a good place to help you understand christianity better.

• cofty
    cofty

The Alpha Course is nauseating. Nicky Gumble is a patronising twat. I have done the course and led the course.

It pretends to be a place for people to explore faith. Try asking real questions and see what happens.

They willl also take you on a weekend away to manipulate you to speak in toungues.

Avoid Alpha like the plague!

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

I read on another local church website that all their workers are CRB checked. Criminal Records Bureau (UK), for previous criminal convictions and all that. I wonder why the WT don't do this as JW.Org seem to think they are way ahead of Christendom?

Where shall I go?? I don't want to be part of a cult again. Or a crazy church.

Any ideas?

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

I had a look at Alpha as well and it did'nt really appeal to me. Thanks cofty X

• cofty
    cofty

Any ideas?

The gym, a sports club, RAF reserves, mountain rescue, volunteer coastguard, ramblers...

• Laika
    Laika

Lol, I've done it too, I enjoyed it, didn't find any problems raising questions but I suppose it depends who you do it with. If you don't like it you can just stop going. It was just a suggestion anyway.

Not sure how he comes across on video but Nicky's quite pleasant in real life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit