Purged songs of the Watchtower

by LogCon 40 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Emma - I have a copy of the green song book. Would you like to take a look at it?

Bonnie

• Violia
    Violia

I always loved " take sides with Jehovah" from green book and I think it made it over to next songbook.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Take Side with Jehovah, that one always seemed to popular, is it still around?

Another song I can't quite pinpoint, I think it was called Dedication, "take my arms and take my "eyes" are whatever can't remember but the song used that "take my" line in it a few times.

• DNCall
    DNCall

ShirleyW: You'll be interested to know that the dedication song you liked (and I did too) was a favorite of David Splane's. He asked us to write a similar song for the current songbook. I left before attempting one, but maybe one of the others gave it a go.

• thesaint
    thesaint

wtBt$ = cult

• Violia
    Violia

thesaint, and ? I see you are new, have you looked around at the threads? This is mostly and Xjws board but all are welcome.

• thesaint
    thesaint

x jw r gate

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Would be surprised if all seven of the old farts in Brooklyn proabably had to give there stamp of approval before it was released.

The green songbook, the purple one, then there was another one that came out after I left, now there's another songbook?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

There is still at least one song in the current songbook that plagiarizes an existing song.

Walking in Integrity is a direct rip-off of the jazz standard Stella By Starlight. Ironically, Stella was written by Victor Young for the 1944 film The Uninvited, a ghost story starring Ray Milland and Ruth Hussey.

So, in a very real way, Walking in Integrity was inspired by demons!

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

This brings back a lot of memories. I remember the old green song book. I was only four or five when it was released in the early 1950s. Those were the days when we had live music at the KHs, and the CAs and DCs had live orchestras. Then they replaced the green song book with the pink one and did away with live music at the KH, CA, DC, and replaced it with canned music.

I left the JWs in 1984 just as they replaced the pink song book with the baby sh_t brown color song book. Glad I left when I did, as the new song book had some songs that were impossible to sing.

Later, when I started attending other churches, some of the hymns were sung to the same music as the songs of the old JW green song book. And doing a little research found that the Watchtower had ripped off some of their songs from old Christian hymns.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit