Purged songs of the Watchtower

by LogCon 40 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• LogCon
    LogCon

My memory of singing the Kingdom songs go back to when I was a child in the 1950's. They still hold a place in my memory and my heart. How can something that is so much a part of your childhood not stay embedded in your heart.?

I have not attended meeting for a number of years, since 1997.

HOWEVER,these songs still come to the surface at times. Being as I do not have possession of the lastest WT song books, I asked the following questions:

Which songs have been purged from the WT songs circa 1960's?

and

What would be your explanation for the removal of these songs?

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Don't remember which one were purged but I heard the reason was because they were essentially plagerized or whatver the equivlent for music is.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

And i do find myself whistling the songs from time to time, although i'm never sure if they are kingdom melodies or xmas songs.

• Emma
    Emma

I think if a writer or composer of a song left the borg their song would be expunged in the next edition. We have at least one former composer and contributer here on the board if I'm not mistaken.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Logcon- I guess you remember the first song in the old green songbook, that was like an old Baptist tune that got the church rocking, I think the title was Hail Him. I also remember the song Rejoice, I'm thinking of a few others but can't remember the names of them.

• Emma
    Emma

Shirley, I remember them. I'd like to see a copy of that old green songbook.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I'm sure a few folks still have a copy.

• DNCall
    DNCall

The songs that were purged were either from the classics (there were melodies from Beethoven, Chopin, Von Weber and Brahms) or hymns from other religions. One of my favorites from the green songbook was the last one. I think it was called "Blessed Zion."

After being out for about eight years, the songs from the green song book are the ones that stick. For me, it was some of the first music I ever heard. Later in life I came to appreciate that the four-part harmony arrangements were well-written and the melodies were easily sung.

Emma: If I'm the composer you're talking about, not only were my songs not expunged from the latest songbook, but three or more were added.

• Emma
    Emma

DNC, that's interesting. I loved the harmonies of those hymns, even as children my sisters and I sang with my mom (just something we did, in the car, of an evening) singing the harmonies by ear. I still love to sing and currently sing in a couple of choirs.

Thanks for the info!

• LogCon
    LogCon

"And I will march around your altar grand,

to make thanksgiving heard aloud throughout the land.

But as for me, determined I will be,

to remain faithfully in my integrity."

It's always coming up in my memory.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit