Does anyone know the curent understanding on Chess for JWs?

by BU2B 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Giordano
    Giordano

“There’s no comparison in any other sport in the attempt to destroy your opponent’s psyche,” explains chess player Stuart Marguiles. “I never have heard anybody say that he beat his opponent. It’s always that he smashed, squished, murdered or killed him.”

That's funny....leave it to the Awake to find an idiot to quote.

I play chess once a week...it's pretty competitive. You don't talk much during a game. At the end of the game you shake hands and say 'good game'. You don't say "how did I lose to this idiot!!"

Once it did get ugly I was getting beaten, smashed, squished and murdered.......... not at the chess game but in a boxing match.......I boxed too........not well enough apparently.

• jws
    jws

My elder father let me play chess. Either he or my mother taught it to me. I forget.

We did have a chessboard with an actual figure of a king, not the typical one with the cross on it.

I was even allowed to be on the chess team in high school.

I've always thought of it as strategy, not war. The only thing that bothered my JW mind when I learned is the bishop being a religious figure.

I've never refered to smashing, squshing, or murdering anybody I beat. I usually said I beat them or won the game.

Any game can bring out a competetive spirit. And don't they engage in an intellectual match any time they debate somebody at the door (although they tend to do poorly at that)?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

“I never have heard anybody say that he beat his opponent. It’s always that he smashed, squished, murdered or killed him.”

Perhaps he was referring to BattleChess...

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I recall back in the 1970's or early 1980's that there were articles like the one mentioned about the dangers of playing chess. Then one came out about the dangers of playing golf (yes, it's too competitive and you wish that your opponent does not succeed).

I know we had several good golfers in our congregation including a couple of elders and I never saw it affecting their playing.

Rub a Dub

• sir82
    sir82

I mean, for real? Do people follow what is written on everything?

You're on an ex-JW forum and you have to ask that? really?

OK...

YES, there are a whole $#!+-load of JWs who will follow EVERYTHING written out in the JW lit.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

You're on an ex-JW forum and you have to ask that? really?

sir82 ...

If this forum is only for ex-JW's then I should excuse myself, bid a good day to everyone and leave the room.

Rub a Dub

• Dagney
    Dagney

It's so abundantly clear these guys have nothing better to do for the world than take every single thing and run it through the JW filter. They can and do find something wrong with every single thing.

What a useless existence they have. So unproductive and unreasonable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit