Seven Headed Wild Beast officially no longer represents UN?

by donuthole 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Eden:

• The greek term used in 14 is "tõ", meaning "to the".
    • The greek term used three times in 15 is "tou", meaning "of the".

The article in v. 14 is Dative ("to the"). The articles in v. 15 are Genitive ("of the"). Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Dative article is pretty much standard following an infinitive ("to set up" in the NIV, "to make" in the NWT). I don't think this makes much difference in meaning between v. 14 and v. 15. The action in that phrase in v. 14 is indirect (the second beast orders others 'to make an image . . .') requiring the infinitive (to + verb).

Incidentally, to throw something into the mix, v. 15 says (in part, quoted from the NIV above):

• ". . . so that the image could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed."

The NWT has:

• ". . . so that the image of the wild beast should both speak and cause to be killed . . ."

The literal text has no word "both" as in the NWT. Vv. 11-18 consists of a series of statements starting with "and" (polysyndeton) that describe the "two-horned lamb: V. 11 "And I saw another . . ."; v. 12 "And it exercises . . ."; v. 13 "And it performs . . ."; v. 14 "And it misleads . . ."; v. 15a "And there was granted it to give breath to the image so that it should speak. . ."; At v. 15b starts another "and" clause that many take as referring to the image (a la NWT and others), but is just as possible referring to the "two-horned beast": 'And it (the two-horned beast) causes to be killed all who wouldn't worship the image . . .'

G. K. Beale, in his NIGTC-Revelation commentary says the word poiese ("cause" in both NIV and NWT) "is really formally coordinate with dounai pnuema ("to give spirit"), so that it was the beast and not the image that issued the decree of death." (p. 714)

At any rate,

Take Care

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Bobcat, thank you for the (as usual) good research.

What i said is that the "image", because it's made "to the beast" or in its honor, doesn't necessarily has to be similar to the original beast.

Eden

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Eden:

Good point.

Take care

• RottenRiley
    RottenRiley

The fact is the Watchtower is still tinkering with the United Nations, after a friend called the legal department he stated "We still have access to all the resources the United Nations has to offer", this guy on Witchtower Legal has been serving in this department since 1990. Look for the Watchtower to get back in with the United Nations to help, Nigeria and other Witness African countries they have had success with are starting to suffer from persecution from Mohammedeans.

Originally the Watchtower according to this source said "it's impossible to preach in any non-Christendom region without protection from the "secular authorities", look's like we will be getting another stamp on our hand to get back in Club UN!

• zound
    zound

There's a new 'news' article on jw.org stating that Russia are trying to ban jw.org website. Is this then the wild beast touching the eye of god? Is armageddon about to occur?

Here's the news, but not from JW.org - they don't include the term 'extremist', or explain why the russians want to ban them.

Jehovah's Witness texts also continue to be targeted by law enforcement agents. On 12 September Jewish Autonomous Region Public Prosecutor's Office announced that Birobidzhan District Court had ruled "extremist" the Jehovah's Witness brochure "Good News From God" after an investigation by the local FSB security service. "The brochure is of a deliberately extremist nature as its contents aim to form negative impressions of other religious trends", the Office claimed.

On 7 August Tver's Central District Court ruled the Jehovah's Witness website www.jw.org "extremist" at the request of Tver Regional Public Prosecutor's Office. According to the decision on the Court's website, this was after FSB and Counter-"extremism" Police found the site to contain seven Jehovah's Witness texts on the Federal List of Extremist Materials. Similar to the case involving Kuliyev's translation of the Koran, a representative of Tver Regional Police Department - not of the Jehovah's Witnesses – appeared in court as the only "interested party".

• Scully
    Scully

I think this change is so they can dismiss legitimate criticism regarding the mutually beneficial relationship with the Image of the Wild Beast™ (aka the UN) between 1991 and 2001.

"This is how we view things now, after receiving some New Light™, so all that other stuff that happened is no longer scandalous and we can't be held accountable for our previous actions! So there!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit