Did your congregation have a "Pioneer Appreciation Day"?

by Coffee House Girl 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

My mom (who is now a regular pioneer) has been laid up after having major surgery, and I assert my "biblical" rights as a daughter to do what I can to take care of her, so I have been trying to go to her house on my day off to vaccum and run errands for her since she is not supposed to drive.

She called me last Saturday to tell me that I couldn't come by because she was driving to her Pioneer Appreciation Day get-together, WTF ...so I guess from her description that the elders and pioneers get together, and the pioneers get gifts from such as: a rose (one year she said that one of the elders got each pioneer a prepaid gas card)

I'm just curious if this only happens in my area (Michigan, US)????

CHG

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

No such thing in my hall, although I grew up in the South and I stopped going to meetings nearly 10 years ago. The closest thing to it was once a year when they would give us a "special talk" and take us out to eat afterwards.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Never heard of it in all my life. If they are shown appreciation they won't work as hard. And we can't have that...can we.

• Vienna Angelika
    Vienna Angelika

Wow that's very strange, not to mention hypocritical since they rufuse to celebrate holidays similar in nature such as Mother's Day, Father's Day or Thanksgiving

• 4thgen
    4thgen

For years we used to have an annual Pioneer Appreciation Dinner at nice restaurant. Dinner was served, speeches were made appreciation was given to the hard workers. The problem was the elders. Not all of them would make the time to come and appreciate, so the bill would be split among those elders and their families in attendance. Eventually it was done away with.

• label licker
    label licker

Like our elders wife told us that they deserve perks or else noone would want to do it. Yes, roses are bought and pool parties just for the elders, ms's and pioneers. Our friends were disgusted when their congregation wanted to have a dinner put on just for the labels and they wanted the publishers with no labels to serve them their meals and drinks. Labels are a wonderful thing, aren't they? Forget about abilities and qualifications to help the congregation to mature. It's not possible when there are no "gifts in men".

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

............WBT$ JW Pioneer Appreciation Day

...........You Row For The WBT$ Empire!.....Row Well And Live!!..

http://31.media.tumblr.com/470a415fe9e8278103dae0d4af7c20fc/tumblr_mrik4vvaiZ1s0t6o2o1_500.gif

............................................................................................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• crmsicl
    crmsicl

After the yearly pioneer meeting a couple elders would take the pioneers out to dinner. No flowers and they didn't actually call it an "appreciation dinner" but it kinda was.

• blondie
    blondie

The BOE usually get a letter from the WTS to read with the regular pioneers. Around here the elders, their wives and the pioneers get together for dinner at one of the elder's homes while they go over the material with the pioneers. In this area it is timed for Christmas Day. Why was I there, well, I was an elder's wife then. I went for my hubby's sake but felt it was hypocritical. It's not like the elders had such a get together for the older jws in the congregation.

In one congregation some of the sisters had the pioneers over for dinner....one older sister cried a little when she found out, she had never been invited. I guess she was not appreciated.

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

They do it every year here in a few southern U.S. congregations I'm familiar with. In my wife's congregation they had a dinner for the pioneers. In a neighboring congregation they did a black & white (formal affair) after the hour-long pioneer meeting; most of the congregation was invited to do obeisance to the pioneers! lol

It is a pretty common thing around here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit