Did your congregation have a "Pioneer Appreciation Day"?

by Coffee House Girl 24 Replies latest jw friends

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

My wife told me that the pioneers and there families were to get together at the COBE's house for dinner. But then it was cancelled and they are only going to have an upbuilding discourse.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

What blondie said but in my congregation they make you (the elder) super guilty if you don't go. Even though the outline instructions state that 2 elders will conduct the meeting but other elders may also attend if they wish to. Same stupid, drivel served up every year study more, reach people's hearts, plan your time wisely, follow cong. arrangements, etc. etc.

The elders use that stupid outline as an excuse to get together with their wives, pioneers, pioneers husbands (usually also minsterial servants) and have a group "orgy" of brown nosing and butt kissing.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Pretty common out here in CA. I have been in many halls, and they all had a variation of this. Usually a dinner or lunch of some kind, and gas cards were the gift of choice. Sometimes one of the more afluent people in the hall would set it off. Elders are usually present or send an emicery out of their ranks.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

My last hall had a family that hosted a party (gathering) for those that auxiliary pioneered during the Memorial season. I was in a conversation with one of the hosts and was invited...mistakenly. She actually second guessed inviting me and questioned if I had pioneered any of the months. No, I work full time as a single mom. I was disinvited and almost laughed at her.

• SAHS
    SAHS

Once in my congregation here in Ontario, after the annual pioneer meeting they actually had the elders do the serving of the dinner afterward. (I know because my dad was one of the elders and my mom did the cooking, so that’s how I was able to go and eat with them.) It was nice to see the elders actually serving the meal for everyone, even if they didn’t have to do the cooking. It sort of reminded me of the occasion when Jesus volunteered to wash the feet of his disciples. It’s not too often you get to see that sort of chivalry by the usually uppity folks. I have a feeling that this local phenomenon was the exception, and I haven’t heard of it since.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit