The dangers of atheism

by konceptual99 21 Replies latest jw friends

• besty
    besty

:-) steve2

WRT the OP i think the GB have been pretty clear on their future wishes for non-JW's - they are no different to other fundamentalist groups.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Very true besty. Thank goodness they will never actually be able to carry out their wishes to the level demonstrated by those living in certain parts of the world.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Thanks besty for the wiki info, but it's not exactly a newspaper article. One case from 1921 found the defendant not guilty anyway. Point is I don't think wiki is always considered a reliable source as stand alone research.

Also if K99, wants to give us info, then he can provide examples to back up his claim.

On the whole though I do agree with the general point of the OP, that in many countries it is life threatening to declare yourslef an Atheist, this is infringing on their human rights and something needs to be done about it. Kate xx

• besty
    besty

If I was alone on a dark street in a foreign country I'd rather encounter a bunch of atheists than a bunch of religious fanatics - know what i mean?

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

If you guys actually read Besty's link you would see that the NZ blasphemy law was last tested in 2006! It is still a current law.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

On the whole though I do agree with the general point of the OP, that in many countries it is life threatening to declare yourslef an Atheist, this is infringing on their human rights and something needs to be done about it.

Fortunately, atheists don't really have any reason to speak up. I mean, they don't have any doctrines they have to follow, no church to attend... so they have only their own big mouths to fear.

If I was alone on a dark street in a foreign country I'd rather encounter a bunch of atheists than a bunch of religious fanatics - know what i mean?

On the contrary, religious fanatics are easier to befriend by sharing their beliefs, or to scare away with superstition. Atheists don't have an overarching moral system to guide them, so I'd be rather concerned about what they had personally decided was acceptable or not to do to another person. Followers are much easier to predict than iconoclasts.

• steve2
    steve2

Yes, the blasphemyl aw in New Zealand was last tested (by the powerful Roman Catholic church) in 2006 - and did not succeed! Indeed, at the time it was pretty much laughed at by the NZ media. This is one helluva robust country in which people exchange very frank views about religious practices. Okay, sometimes you gotta tred carefully as when criticising groups that have reputations for strong reactions. But I see a sharp distinction between debate and belittling people's belief systems. The latter is plain unwise and disrespectful, the former championed in New Zealand. And we have a well regarded skeptics society which speak up regularly on a host of issues.

• besty
    besty

Atheists don't have an overarching moral system to guide them, so I'd be rather concerned about what they had personally decided was acceptable or not to do to another person.

Have you always been an idiot, or is this a recent development?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Atheists don't have an overarching moral system to guide them, so I'd be rather concerned about what they had personally decided was acceptable or not to do to another person. Followers are much easier to predict than iconoclasts.

I never cease to wonder at the stupidity spouted by some people on this forum.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Your able counterarguments have convinced me I was wrong. I retract everything. Good job gentlemen!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit