Dead pregnant woman forced to stay on life support, due to TX State law

by adamah 285 Replies latest social current

• adamah
    adamah

SM said- Not going to argue over semantics.

It's not mere semantics: after centuries of debate by bioethicists, it's how modern medicine currently defines death: brain dead IS dead.

The bottom line is that once the brain is declared dead, so is the person, and their personality; the lifeless body remains and starts to decompose, UNLESS we artificially maintain blood circulation and respiration (and even that doesn't last as long as a living person, doing it on their own, i.e. the body starts to degrade, anyway).

This kind of issue hasn't arisen in the past, since we didn't HAVE the means to keep the body artifically alive after the brain died. It's a byproduct of modern medicine (artificial heart/lung machines), since in the past, the women died and nothing could be done to save a non-viable fetus.

SM said- If she was dead this would not be an issue as the baby would also be dead. Since her body is still funcitonal and only her brain is dead, the state decided to wait until the child is born before they pull her off of life support. Why kill the child when it can be saved? If the dad doesn't want the child he can simply put it up for adoption. I don't see the controversy here.

Did you read the legal brief (I linked to above) that they filed yesterday, seeking motion for relief? It covers the issues you're apparently not seeing.

In a nutshell, a cornerstone principle of freedom is that everyone own their OWN BODIES, and have the right to decide what happens to it when alive (i.e. you're able to refuse any medical treatment, for ANY reason, good or bad; it's why JWs are allowed to refuse blood transfusions), and why you're able to express wishes for what happens to your body when unconscious and unable to (AKA advanced healthcare directive), or the handling of your body after you died (cremation/burial, etc). Your body is treated as your property, your possession, and it's yours to do with as you will.

The State of TX is over-riding that, in essence saying none of that counts IF the person in question is pregnant: she's been kept on a machine since November, against her and husbands wishes (both are paramedics, and they understand the definition of death). The family is in limbo, and the husband is prevented from carrying out what his wife wanted, since the State in essence is playing God by preventing them from disconnecting her and letting them bury her and grieve, dealing with their loss. THAT is unethical.

Apo said- Me neither; if the baby can be saved, then isn't this the ethical thing to do?

Well, that's the question, and why it's interesting to consider who's rights trump: the fetus' right to be given a chance, or the mother's right to decide what care she receives, and happens to her body after death?

The pregnant woman was dead for up to an hour before they found her, and the fetus was deprived of oxygen and likely suffered long-term injury and harm; it's unknown what the long-term effects will be, but it's highly likely the child will sustain some effects. If the fetus survives to determine viability (in 4 weeks), they'd have to further violate the deceased rights to maintain bodily integrity by cutting into her to perform a Caesarian delivery, where it's considered unethical to cut into a dead body (eg to take a kidney, or perform a C-section) against the patient's expressed will. T hat's exactly WHY we have a system of voluntarily organ donation: the State needs your consent before you die in order to 'harvest' your organs AFTER you die. However, that concept of being able to decide is what's in jeopardy now.

Legislators in TX are imposing their religious morality on all citizens of the State, as if trying to force a "silver lining" to be had, when the reality is it's a painful and intensely personal matter for the family alone to decide and face; for the State to intrude into that decision, forcing a decision on the family without respecting their or the deceased wishes is simply wrong.

Adam

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

There is a little confusion:

Erick Munoz of Fort Wort, Texas, found his wife Marlise unconscious on the kitchen floor on November 26

Machado’s son-in-law Erick Munoz found Marlise unconscious on the kitchen floor two days before Thanksgiving.

Erick is a paramedic - as was Marlise - and immediately performed CPR, but it was no use. At 14 weeks pregnant with their second child, Marlise had been without oxygen for an hour.

‘They did a CAT scan and an EEG and there was no brain activity,’ Machado said. ‘She was clinically declared brain dead.

This is confusing because it says he found her unconcious. It doesn't say he found her dead. With CPR, performed correctly, the oxygenation and circulation of the blood through the body is accomplished. How long was she in this state before he found her and began performing CPR? Even though she didn't receive enough oxygen to keep her brain alive, it's unclear whether the fetus was deprived of oxygen and/or nutrients.

It's clear the husband knows his wife didn't want to be put on life support. It isn't clear whether he knows that his wife would have felt this way if her baby was still living inside her. I think it would be sad to grow up and begin to understand that your mother was clinically dead as you grew to viability inside her. It would also be strange to find out that your dad and grandmother fought to have your mother taken off the support. That is of course if you came out without brain damage-- if you came out healthy and whole.

It's a tough call. I wouldn't want to be kept on life support for myself. It's a different matter if there is a healthy fetus inside me that could go on to enjoy a normal life after its birth, I can't say I'd say no to life support, with that in mind. Who is to really know what this mother would say if she could speak to this specific situation? She isn't suffering. If a healthy baby comes from this, the husband and family will adjust, heal and go on to love the child. I wonder what they will do if the child is profoundly affected in a bad way.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

According to the Mayo Clinic website: http://www.mayoclinic.org/first-aid/first-aid-cpr/basics/ART-20056600

CPR can keep oxygenated blood flowing to the brain and other vital organs until more definitive medical treatment can restore a normal heart rhythm.

When the heart stops, the lack of oxygenated blood can cause brain damage in only a few minutes. A person may die within eight to 10 minutes.

With that in mind, it's doubtful the mother had been dead, without oxygen for very long before the husband found her.

Something else to think about:

Fully developed babies and children can experience a stronger Mammalian Dive Reflex.

I wonder if the fetus' heartrate slowed, similar to the mammalian dive reflex, and helped it to survive intact. The fetus is said to have a strong heartbeat now.

http://www.emergencymedicalparamedic.com/what-is-the-mammalian-diving-reflex/

2. To this day, one treatment available for neonates who have a run of SVT (which is a pre-terminal event in neonates) are dipped head first in a cold bucket of water in order to artificially stimulate the mammalian diving reflex and therefore reduce the heartrate. The mammalian diving reflex is known to reduce the heart rate by 25%.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

In a nutshell, a cornerstone principle of freedom is that everyone own their OWN BODIES, and have the right to decide what happens to it when alive [...], and why you're able to express wishes for what happens to your body when unconscious [...], or the handling of your body after you died [...]. Your body is treated as your property, your possession, and it's yours to do with as you will.

So then, logically, they are doing the right thing according to these principles, right? Because the baby has the right to decide what should happen to its own body, and given that it's incapable of making a decision, it needs to be allowed to grow up in order to gain cognizance.

The State of TX is over-riding that, in essence saying none of that counts IF the person in question is pregnant

Well, good, it sounds like they have respect for life. Naturally a living person's rights should trump a dead person's.

• Giordano
    Giordano

In this case, saving the baby involves violating what the woman wished for her body. We allow living women to abort their babies if they so choose. This woman has essentially asked that she be given an abortion postmortem. Why do her wishes for her body suddenly get trumped in this situation? "Saving the baby" is not enough here, because its not enough when she's alive either.

• adamah
    adamah

FHN said- This is confusing because it says he found her unconcious. It doesn't say he found her dead.

A paramedic cannot pronounce death. Only a doctor can (actually, a neurologist only can pronounce brain death, the definitive diagnosis after carrying out specialized tests that look for electrical brain activity). The paramedic's obligation is to start life-saving measures, and cannot assume the person is dead.

FHN said- With CPR, performed correctly, the oxygenation and circulation of the blood through the body is accomplished. How long was she in this state before he found her and began performing CPR? Even though she didn't receive enough oxygen to keep her brain alive, it's unclear whether the fetus was deprived of oxygen and/or nutrients.

You're making the mistake of over-stating the life-saving effect of CPR: it's not as effective as you seem to think, since it's only a ineffective stop-gap measure that's only going to buy a few minutes until more definitive treatment can be initiated (restarting the heart with defibrillators, oxygen given, etc). That's why the training is to for first-responders to call for help IMMEDIATELY, and THEN start CPR.

FHN said- It's a tough call. I wouldn't want to be kept on life support for myself. It's a different matter if there is a healthy fetus inside me that could go on to enjoy a normal life after its birth, I can't say I'd say no to life support, with that in mind. Who is to really know what this mother would say if she could speak to this specific situation? She isn't suffering. If a healthy baby comes from this, the husband and family will adjust, heal and go on to love the child. I wonder what they will do if the child is profoundly affected in a bad way.

It is a extremely tough call, but what is your final answer, if anyone dares to claim to possess the wisdom to know of all of these unknowns you highlighted?

That's exactly WHY no one BUT the family and husband should be allowed to decide here, since they bear the consequences of the decision. But to have the State step in and FORCE the decision upon them against their will is even more intolerable, since legislators in the State of Texas are only mucking up the situation and prolonging the pain for the survivors by forcing their religious-driven morality on others.

Adam

• adamah
    adamah

Adam- In a nutshell, a cornerstone principle of freedom is that everyone own their OWN BODIES, and have the right to decide what happens to it when alive [...], and why you're able to express wishes for what happens to your body when unconscious [...], or the handling of your body after you died [...]. Your body is treated as your property, your possession, and it's yours to do with as you will.

Apo said- So then, logically, they are doing the right thing according to these principles, right? Because the baby has the right to decide what should happen to its own body, and given that it's incapable of making a decision, it needs to be allowed to grow up in order to gain cognizance.

Obvious problem is the baby cannot express (much less FORM) an opinion, and may never be able to "gain cognizance" due to the likely-harm inflicted from anoxia.

But you're willing to over-ride the LIVING beings who actually are already here, and over-ride their right to decide, based on YOUR greater wisdom?

Adam said- The State of TX is over-riding that, in essence saying none of that counts IF the person in question is pregnant

Apo said- Well, good, it sounds like they have respect for life. Naturally a living person's rights should trump a dead person's.

So, assuming you're not already an organ donor, how do you feel about the State simply deciding for you, and forcing individuals to become organ donors (despite their wishes: some people have religious beliefs that prevent such practices), and harvesting your organs against your will? You're dead, right, so what would it matter to you?

The interesting thing here is how those who claim to believe in the existence of souls after death are not shy from suggesting a policy that would suggest they don't actually believe it, since the person's who's wishes they're violating would be able to witness the disregard shown for their body, or in some religions, even prevent the soul from attaining everlasting existence; in effect, they'd be murdering the soul by violating the dead body.

Adam

• Comatose
    Comatose

I find this a very sad and disgusting situation. Only the family or if married then the marriage mate should be able to make this decision. To force this is horrifying. I can't believe this is happening. If it were my wife I'd remove her from the machines myself one night and barricade the door, and then sue the state.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

In a nutshell, a cornerstone principle of freedom is that everyone own their OWN BODIES, and have the right to decide what happens to it when alive (i.e. you're able to refuse any medical treatment, for ANY reason, good or bad;

--------

Did she leave a written directive about what she wanted? That's the only way to make any claim that she herself made decisions for her body - to pass on decisions regarding her life or decisions that might affect her or her family. samswife

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Obvious problem is the baby cannot express (much less FORM) an opinion, and may never be able to "gain cognizance" due to the likely-harm inflicted from anoxia.

But you're willing to over-ride the LIVING beings who actually are already here, and over-ride their right to decide, based on YOUR greater wisdom?

Of course the baby cannot form an opinion yet, that's why it needs to have its life preserved. For God's sake, Adam, when a paramedic comes into a room where there's a person who's not breathing, do they refuse to help until they know if the person wants to keep living? What about all the people who attempt suicide and are forcibly resuscitated?

And I don't claim to have any wisdom, just common sense. It simply seems clear to me that the wishes of "living beings" (the family, I presume you mean) are automatically trumped by an issue of life and death. It's not their lives at stake, so their say in the matter is limited. Didn't the husband want the baby when his wife was alive? So why are we suddenly so eager to kill the baby if there's a chance it can be saved?

So, assuming you're not already an organ donor, how do you feel about the State simply deciding for you, and forcing individuals to become organ donors (despite their wishes: some people have religious beliefs that prevent such practices), and harvesting your organs against your will? You're dead, right, so what would it matter to you?

It's a bit creepy to think about, but I suppose I have to be fine with it. As a materialist, I don't believe that there's anything left of me in my body once I die (and most religious people feel the same, nowadays), therefore it's just a big bag of organs for the taking. If they're still useful for someone else, it would be unethical for me to not want them to be harvested.

If we were living in a logical society, all bodies would be automatically organ-salvaged at death. Sadly, we instead live in a world of hypocritical madness, where people protest the death penalty for people who've murdered others, but at the same time believe that a baby's life is somehow less important than the mother's "healthcare rights". News flash, it's not "her body" at all anymore, it's "their bodies".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit